Mercedes sprinter 2016 will not rev past 3k -no warnings lights

Jon1980

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter lwb w906
Hello All
Need some help I have a 2016 lwb sprinter that randomly will not rev past 3k , no warning lights at all and doesn’t bring up a fault code or limp mode/engine management light. I have had the van mapped but also had this checked and re inputted. Still get the issue. I have replaced the intake manifold, injectors, injector seals etc etc, EGR also ok.
when I remove the key and start it works fine but not always but will still go off at will. Had it back to the garage few times and no codes at all. Still will reach 80mph on motorways but if you hit a hill it dies and limps up hills.
Any ideas, doesn’t it need driving as it’s a camper conversion and has been sat over winter at times.

VitoVanMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 2005 115 CDI W639, Saab 93 TiD
Hi there and welcome to the club.
I had the same issue on my Vito. It would sail along the motorway quite merrily and once I hit a hill, It would die and go into limp mode. I would pull onto the hard shoulder, switch off the engine, wait a minute and it would start perfectly, with no issues. There was a fault code, which was 'Transducer over boost'. A new Mercedes Benz transducer was fitted, and still the same fault code returned. In the end it turned out to be the exhaust vanes on the turbo sticking open giving the over boost condition.
So I fitted a refurbished turbo, with a two year warranty, the same as a Mercedes one,at a fraction of the cost and I have never looked back. The Vito performs better now, than when I bought it new, 700,000 K miles ago. So looking at what you describe about the hill, the new turbo cured my poor hill shutdown experience.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Dont always get an EML with mine when limp mode occurs, Did you get a diagnostic done? codes should be there if theres limp mode.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Hello All
Need some help I have a 2016 lwb sprinter that randomly will not rev past 3k , no warning lights at all and doesn’t bring up a fault code or limp mode/engine management light.
My old CLK used to do the same, intercooler hose was split.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom