Mercedes to Renault, really?

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
My sister recently sold her A Class Mercedes as it isn't ULEZ compliant, but she has replaced it with a Renault Zoe! It's just so ugly and it's electric too and I struggle to get my head round why someone would sell a nice looking car for a boring grey car that looks the same as so many other cars on the road. If it was mine and I parked it somewhere I would struggle to find it as every car park seems to be a sea of boring grey cars which all look the same. Also being electric, not sure you could give me an electric car, I would have to sell it and buy a petrol car instead :shock:

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
She could have bought an AMG55 or 63, they are ULEZ compliant.
Exactly, I really don't know what she was thinking. Our Mercedes is also an A Class and yes it's diesel which isn't ideal, but it is ULEZ compliant :)

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
I only have good memories of Renaults. My uncle used to pick us up from London and take us to stay with relatives in Wales during the summer holidays in a Renault 16.
My Dad had a Renault Fuego in the 80's and I had an Espace for 10 years which was strictly a Matra.

No idea what they are like today though.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I only have good memories of Renaults. My uncle used to pick us up from London and take us to stay with relatives in Wales during the summer holidays in a Renault 16.
My Dad had a Renault Fuego in the 80's and I had an Espace for 10 years which was strictly a Matra.

Buy a new Mercedes and you can find out.

Last edited:

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

Between my wife and I (in the 70s and 80s) we had a R10 (Alconi motor version), R5 and a R9 (kept the R9 for nearly 10 years). They were all excellent although I did become a master cutch changer on the R10.

Current B-Class has a Renault engine and is faultless @ ~50k miles.

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
I just don't understand the mindset of people buying electric cars now, the Renault Zoe goesn't get very good reviews and although it has a good range overall if you are on the motorway and doing 70mph it drops from 245 miles to just 149, which isn't a lot. I still think it's an ugly car. Years ago my dad bought me a pretty electric blue Renault 5 and I loved it, but I'd always pick a Mercedes over anything else now ;)

Axcontrols

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
53 ML 270CDI, 2017 GLA200d
My 2017 GLA 200d is ULEZ compliant. It's a diesel. I'd assume that an A 200d is as well. What's so smokey on the petrol A class cars that they don't meet the standard?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
We will know next week if anyone needed to change cars at all , when the judge decides on the ULEZ extension

Axcontrols

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
53 ML 270CDI, 2017 GLA200d
I just don't understand the mindset of people buying electric cars now, the Renault Zoe goesn't get very good reviews and although it has a good range overall if you are on the motorway and doing 70mph it drops from 245 miles to just 149, which isn't a lot. I still think it's an ugly car. Years ago my dad bought me a pretty electric blue Renault 5 and I loved it, but I'd always pick a Mercedes over anything else now ;)

electric cars - ie batteries - is a phase we're going through. In the longer term Hydrogen will be the way to go.

Although hydrogen will be just a phase too. That bloke "Wlhelm Reich" discovered "Orgone" which is, basically, free energy. Only downside is you need to buy one of his wooden boxes where you'd sit inside and do, er.... stuff to generate orgone to recharge your battery. No. hang on. We're back to batteries again. d'oh!

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I’m sure the EV trend will drop into some sort of usefulness probably as town cars where you don’t need to haul half a ton of batteries hundreds of miles which is definitely not very green. Hydrogen is viable regarding replacing ICE so the EV trend won’t last long.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I’m sure the EV trend will drop into some sort of usefulness probably as town cars where you don’t need to haul half a ton of batteries hundreds of miles which is definitely not very green. Hydrogen is viable regarding replacing ICE so the EV trend won’t last long.
Hydrogen is nowhere near viable at the moment. Overall efficiency is very poor compared to batteries.
Most commercial hydrogen is also made by steam reforming hydrocarbons - the byproduct of which is CO2. The alternative is electrolysis. That then gives hydrogen that can be burnt in an ICE or put into a fuel cell to generate electricity.
The first is 30-35% efficient, the second 40-60%.

That's a lot of electricity needed to match a battery EV. Batteries are 97% efficient or more.

From an efficiency perspective hydrogen just doesn't make sense.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Hydrogen is nowhere near viable at the moment. Overall efficiency is very poor compared to batteries.
Most commercial hydrogen is also made by steam reforming hydrocarbons - the byproduct of which is CO2. The alternative is electrolysis. That then gives hydrogen that can be burnt in an ICE or put into a fuel cell to generate electricity.
The first is 30-35% efficient, the second 40-60%.

That's a lot of electricity needed to match a battery EV. Batteries are 97% efficient or more.

From an efficiency perspective hydrogen just doesn't make sense.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Buy a new Mercedes and you can find out.
Buy a 20yr old spend 5k and have something reliable and without all the dealer elastic cords. (sans electronics crxp)

OP
littlebrooklyn

littlebrooklyn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 A180d
My 2017 GLA 200d is ULEZ compliant. It's a diesel. I'd assume that an A 200d is as well. What's so smokey on the petrol A class cars that they don't meet the standard?
I think they have to be Euro 6 or later to be ULEZ compliant, our car is a 2016 diesel and I think it's probably only just scraped through :)

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom