Mixed advice from tyre suppliers.

gh3382

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W164 ML350
I am replacing the two front tyres on my ML so I have been shopping around.

I am astounded by the mixed and what I believe to be bad advice from some of the suppliers. I wanted to upgrade from Continental Contact 2 to another brand in an effort to get a quieter tyre and I was considering Good Years or Michelin. I would do the fronts first then the backs when they needed changing.

Some suppliers say fine to change to another brand as long as both on the same axel others say no stay with the tyres I have and dont even upgrade to the Continental Contact 5.

Halfords have told me that I must change all 4 as uneven wear depth on front and back will cause damage to the transfer box due to it being permenant 4 wheel drive.

I normally change in pairs on the same axel with no problems mainly because of the cost and also the fronts wear more quickly than the rear. The manual also says put new tyres on the front but Costco said they would only fit on the back.

My Continental Contact 2's have been ok (20,000 miles mainly town driving) but not good on fuel consumption and are a bit noisy compared to ratings of many other tyres.

Think I might buy a pushbike.

Gh3382

Last edited:

Stafford71

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 320 Elegance
Halfords in my opinion are not worthy of being called tyre suppliers, and their claim about changing all 4 is based on their sales.

Go with your gut, you'll be fine. My old ML ran all-sorts before she went to mercedes Valhalla, no issues at all

Sent from my M2007J22G using Tapatalk

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
As long as the tyres are up to the relevant standard to be legally sold in the UK, you can fit whatever and how many you want. Your money, your choice.
Tyre suppliers and tyre fitters in my experience, spout some of the most innacurate advice I've ever heard, you'd be better off asking your cat.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
The recommendation that I've always gone by is primarily to do with grip.
If possible, replace tyres in pairs and by axle as different tyre models and makes will perform differently.
If all tyres are the same size, put the newest tyres on the rear as a loss of grip at the rear is more sudden and difficult to control than a loss of grip at the front.

A modern 4x4 will have a centre as well as axle differential and therefore any difference in rolling diameter and grip between the front and the rear will be taken care of.

Continental Sport Contact 6 are a big improvement on Continental Sport Contact 5.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
To be fair to Halfords, Costco would only sell me 4 tyres for my R Class because of the permanent 4x4 .... Mercedes themselves said it was OK to replace just two.
And Costco quote the 'advise' of tyre Michelin/etc to fit new to the rear & move the old rears to the front ..... obviously only if all tyres are the same size

OP
gh3382

gh3382

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W164 ML350
Thanks for the replies.

My handbook says new tyres in axles and if only 2 put them on the front.

I think I am going to stay with Continentals Contact 2 which are already on as least i know there is no problem using them

GH3382

Madtutle3

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A250 / 2021
My handbook says new tyres in axles and if only 2 put them on the front.
If all tyres are the same size, put the newest tyres on the rear as a loss of grip at the rear is more sudden and difficult to control than a loss of grip at the front.
If you lose traction in the rear under severe braking or cornering the rear end will spin out, often resulting in loss of control. You always want the best traction on the rear wheels.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you lose traction in the rear under severe braking or cornering the rear end will spin out, often resulting in loss of control. You always want the best traction on the rear wheels.
Yet Mercedes have said a few years ago that due to modern Electronic Stability Control, the best tyres need to be on the front as it requires front end grip to work. It was even printed in one of their hand books on a new model that had just came out, although no-one else seemed to agree with them at the time, Mercedes are not usually wrong.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To be fair to Halfords, Costco would only sell me 4 tyres for my R Class because of the permanent 4x4 .... Mercedes themselves said it was OK to replace just two.
And Costco quote the 'advise' of tyre Michelin/etc to fit new to the rear & move the old rears to the front ..... obviously only if all tyres are the same size
The tyre manager at my Costco was telling me how they had all completed Michelin training courses and then told me the yellow and red dots on the sidewall, and the coloured lines around the tread on new tyres did not have any purpose. In fact he said he just laughs when a customer tries to tell him they are there for a reason.

OP
gh3382

gh3382

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W164 ML350
update

I have booked it in for two new tyres and staying with the Contact 2's.

I have spoken to both Continental and Mercedes who both tell me they do not advise changing from the original Contact 2's and because they are in still in demand that is why Continental are still making them.

As for fitting, both the handbook and Mercedes tell me to put the new ones on the front. As for replacing all four tyres at the same time to avoid trandfer box damage Mercedes tell me this was an issue with early permenant 4 wheel drive but not my ML unless the front and rear have extremes of wear such as newish on one axle and nearly bald on the other.

So despite me trying to be a smart arse and better things I am staying with the same set up.

Thanks for all your input.

GH3382

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Glad you are sorted OP with a solution you are happy with!

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Yet Mercedes have said a few years ago that due to modern Electronic Stability Control, the best tyres need to be on the front as it requires front end grip to work. It was even printed in one of their hand books on a new model that had just came out, although no-one else seemed to agree with them at the time, Mercedes are not usually wrong.
Kind of makes sense with their "torque vectoring" feature which helps prevent the rear kicking out and front wheels doing most of the braking.

OP
gh3382

gh3382

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W164 ML350
Since my last post o this I had a front caliper jamm on so a new Caliper and pads . I was thinking of changings discs and other front caliper for Mechanic said no need as its been checked and discs are ok.

Money money money its a Mercedes world lol.

GH3382

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Since my last post o this I had a front caliper jamm on so a new Caliper and pads . I was thinking of changings discs and other front caliper for Mechanic said no need as its been checked and discs are ok.

Money money money its a Mercedes world lol.

GH3382
Did you replace the pads on just one front brake or on both sides?
If you're changing pads then both is recommended, so there isn't a brake imbalance across the axle

OP
gh3382

gh3382

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W164 ML350
Did you replace the pads on just one front brake or on both sides?
If you're changing pads then both is recommended, so there isn't a brake imbalance across the axle
hI m8 sorry about the delay, Both sides had the pads changed.

GH3382

Top Bottom