1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ml420 info

Discussion in 'General Mercedes-Benz Related Discussion' started by pedders, Nov 7, 2018.

1. pedders

pedders Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML270 cdi
    Hi Guys,

I am going to look at an ml420 at the weekend just want to know if there's anything I need to look out for. I am already avoiding the airmatic suspension but I am not 100% sure what other potential weaknesses are.
    I have already got an ml270 that's served me well over the last 7 years but I fancy a change and more power.

2. Steve@Avantgarde

Steve@Avantgarde Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    Mercedes-Benz C32AMG, SL55AMG, C320CDI Sport Edition Estate and SLR McLaren Coupe Roadster.
    Great engines, very quick. Expensive to repair if it goes wrong as there is no room in the engine bay to get to anything.

3. Xtractorfan

Xtractorfan Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S class
    Excellent engine as Steve has said, As with most ML's most problems tend to be seizing brake calipers and dampness problems with the rear SAM units.... You will probably find that the EGR valve will need to be electronically eliminated as it does tend to cause engine running problems. And a new or extra heavy duty battery will keep electrical glitches at bay. A good service history is a bonus.

4. PaulG

PaulG Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Ml320CDI 2007
    Budget for new shocks all round. They have a lot of work to do controlling all that height... Something like £140 each on Ebay. The difference in handling will make them seem like a bargain.

Listen for bearing noises from the front Diff at around 56-60 mph. Early versions were prone to bearing break-up, or just noise that gets loo loud to hear the stereo.

If the gearbox bangs into first when coming to a standstill, trouble isn't far away.

5. Steve@Avantgarde

Steve@Avantgarde Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    Mercedes-Benz C32AMG, SL55AMG, C320CDI Sport Edition Estate and SLR McLaren Coupe Roadster.
    Shocks aren't all that common and not all go bang.

If its standard steel spring then its only the rears that are common, and still not all that common. My 164 has 125k miles on it and they are fine.

The airmatic air springs are £350k a bag and its mainly the rears that fail, I've only ever replaced about 4 sets in 9 years as an Indie....

6. PaulG

PaulG Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Ml320CDI 2007
    Steve, thanks for the perspective..

My shocks weren't leaking but they were certainly not doing what they're designed to do (danp) when compared with the new ones.

My regular high speed trips along the A31 (great road) were pretty frighting before, difficult to keep it on one lane, but it runs arrow-straight now.

If only I hadn't caused myself so much additional work when replacing them...

7. grayb

grayb Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350CDI (S212) 2010
    Our Indie often says 'I hardly every have to replace these, you've been unlucky.' ;)

8. Mark A

Mark A Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    08 ML-420CDI, 58 ML-320CDI, 55 SLK-350
    I have had both front springs go on the wife’s W164 320 (1 took out the wheel speed sensor in the process). And had both rear shocks / springs go on my W164 420 during the past 7 yrs /100k.

Could just be the poor condition of the roads though - also had 1 go on the SLK.

Mark

9. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    W213 E220d, Smart R451 CDI, Porsche 911 C2S, Land Rover 110 County SW
    I think there's a lot more cars out there with cream crackered shocks than people realise, I see loads of rear wheels bouncing around when following cars on the motorways. Hate to think what their stopping distances would be like if they had to brake in an emergency.

PaulG likes this.