New battery - possible decent alternative

Stevie A

Reaction score
The straw that broke the donkey's back on the battery front was me leaving my side lights on for about a day and a half. Jump started it and tried charging by going a long run but on return next day it was flat again.

Anyhow, had to get new battery and went into Partco Unipart (the closest place on foot near my car) and was quoted £71. I have used them before but I increasingly find their prices over expensive for Merc parts. It's like a Merc tax in there, parts are nearly often double GSF or Eurocarparts prices.

Walked along to the Vauxhall dealer which was the next closest place and got a good "Go" battery for £53. Has an indicator of charge on it too and is guaranteed for 3 years, which was the main selling point in Partco.

Morale of story, if you have an older Merc try a Vauxhall dealer for a bat if there is no Merc dealers in your area. I couldn't stand the idea of paying £70 for a battery!:shock:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Stevie A said:
The straw that broke the donkey's back on the battery front was me leaving my side lights on for about a day and a half. Jump started it and tried charging by going a long run but on return next day it was flat again.

Anyhow, had to get new battery and went into Partco Unipart (the closest place on foot near my car) and was quoted £71. I have used them before but I increasingly find their prices over expensive for Merc parts. It's like a Merc tax in there, parts are nearly often double GSF or Eurocarparts prices.

Walked along to the Vauxhall dealer which was the next closest place and got a good "Go" battery for £53. Has an indicator of charge on it too and is guaranteed for 3 years, which was the main selling point in Partco.

Morale of story, if you have an older Merc try a Vauxhall dealer for a bat if there is no Merc dealers in your area. I couldn't stand the idea of paying £70 for a battery!:shock:

you have a 3 year guarantee,good battery,good luck.

Malcolm

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
Hi Stevie A

During a recent cold spell my battery was found wanting and had to be replaced. I followed my indie's recommendation and he fitted a Delphi battery which came with a 3yr warranty. It cost me GBP50.00, including fitting. The MB equivalent would have cost me GBP150.00, without fitting.

"Who the hell is Delphi, I wondered?" I subsequently discovered during an Internet search that Delphi is a trade name used by one of the three biggest battery manufacturers in the World.

Many car manufacturers often rebadge Delphis and sell them under their own brand at a nice fat profit.

My Delphi may have a 3yr warranty but it will likely last far longer. The battery the Delphi replaced was just over 5yr old, probably the original, and was branded Mercedes-Benz.

If you search around you can still pick up a bargain.

REGARDS Phil

OP
Stevie A

Stevie A

Reaction score
Well done Phil. The Vauxhall dealer was within walking distance of my car at the time so I went in there. Cheers.

davebox

Reaction score
Website
www.herbaldavesplace.co.uk
:cool:
Well now! I have to recommend your local motor factors. They are usually found in small industrial estates and the good old yellow pages. My local factors will sell a half way decent battery for around the £35.00 - £40.00 for a battery that will last many years. The same applies to all your service parts - ask for a reputable brand that they recommend and more often than not you will be pleasantly surprised. Find yourself a local mechanic to do the service for you also and your quid's in.;)

benzo

Reaction score
Replaced my W202 Merc-Branded battery with a BOSCH battery of the same rating. Cost £52 at Costco. Fitted FOC by my indie.

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
benzo said:
Replaced my W202 Merc-Branded battery with a BOSCH battery of the same rating. Cost £52 at Costco. Fitted FOC by my indie.

Hi benzo

You got a good deal too!

I cannot see how any Mercedes-Benz owner with an ounce of sense would buy a battery from a dealership. However, there must be many M-B owners who don't worry about costs when it comes to looking after their pride and joy.

I wonder what percentage of MBOA Forum members fall into the millionnaire class?

I get the feeling that the overwhelming majority of members are enthusiasts like me with an interest in the marque. They are not particularly wealthy and earn sufficient to run a Mercedes. One of the reasons they join the Forum is to swap ideas and experiences to help cut costs. I therefore conclude very few members are millionnaires.

REGARDS Phil

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wonder what percentage of MBOA Forum members fall into the millionnaire class?

When My Volvo was nearly new I went into Halfords in Yoevil and asked the Manager why they did not stock the sparking plugs for my car. He laughed and said, Sir we do not get owners of £40k cars buying parts at Halfords.
I supose he was right.

I get the feeling that the overwhelming majority of members are enthusiasts like me with an interest in the marque. They are not particularly wealthy and earn sufficient to run a Mercedes. One of the reasons they join the Forum is to swap ideas and experiences to help cut costs. I therefore conclude very few members are millionnaires.
REGARDS Phil[/QUOTE]

When I went to MB Exeter today I thought, there are more cars waiting for service here than we get on the Forum in six months

Malcolm

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
VARTA BLUE or SILVER. OEM now owneD by Johnson in the USA.

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
When I went to MB Exeter today I thought, there are more cars waiting for service here than we get on the Forum in six months

Hi Malcolm

Are you implying they all belong to wealthy people? Might they belong to ordinary MB owners who are afraid they might lose their Mobilo Life and 30 Corrosion Warranty IF they dare to have their cars serviced elsewhere?

REGARDS Phil

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I had the same problem a few years back, left a light on and had a flat battery, If they are totally drained they will not hold thier charge.
I got one from quik fit for 50 pounds fitted and it had a 3 year warranty, I have had no problems with it at all and its been in now for 4 years.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
philharve said:

Hi Malcolm

Are you implying they all belong to wealthy people? Might they belong to ordinary MB owners who are afraid they might lose their Mobilo Life and 30 Corrosion Warranty IF they dare to have their cars serviced elsewhere?

REGARDS Phil
Sorry Phil, I am not very good with what I think and what I say, I meant that the people, who's car's were waiting for service, probably do not know of our existance,or even if they did they could not handle the situation, or that of an indi,I watched them come and go,just ordinary people, a little better off than most. I think that most of the more elderly would not notice if their car was going rusty or not. I think that they go there because they bought the car there, or that its just that they always go there and MB can do no wrong. My best friend in Watford, is one of these multi,multi millionares and has a S320, when he calls, people jump. I have been to MB Watford with him when he had faults with his 600 a few years ago.

Malcolm

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
mioba said:
I got one from quik fit for 50 pounds fitted and it had a 3 year warranty, I have had no problems with it at all and its been in now for 4 years.

Hi mioba

Any half decent battery from a good manufacturer ought to be capable of outliving the warranty period by a good margin.

Mind you, I once bought a sealed-for-life battery that failed a few days outside the warranty period. I guess I was unlucky. I never bought another sealed-for-life battery. However, my MB has one as standard fitment and I will replace it with another of the same kind when it becomes necessary. I'm very happy with the GBP50.00 one obtained from Delphi. It came with a 3 year warranty but I hoping to get at least 5 years life from it.

REGARDS Phil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300TD/1998/3.0 Diesel
Hi

Has been stated on here before try your MB Commercial dept, our local one was doing 100Ah genuine MB batteries same part no. as 210 E300DT battery for £50 + vat

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
230K said:
... try your MB Commercial dept, our local one was doing 100Ah genuine MB batteries same part no. as 210 E300DT battery for £50 + vat.

Hi 230K

Where do you find an MB Commercial Dept? I assume from your description it's independent of their Passenger Car Dept?

You say you can buy a car battery from the Commercial Dept. at a fraction of the price of a car battery from the Passenger Car Dept? If so, that's a valuable, cost-saving tip.

Would the Yellow Pages help me locate an MB Commercial Dept?

REGARDS Phil

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Phil, I can answer that, the Only MB comercial dealer near you is Commercial Motors South West Ltd

Bucklers Lane
Holmbush
St Austell

01726 874200

Malcolm

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
Thanks, Malcolm

St Austell is only about 20 miles from where I live.

Now that I have their telephone number I might give them a call. However, because I replaced my battery only a few months ago it will only be an inquiry to determine the costs.

I suppose I will have to be able to quote the battery's MB part no. and I may need to provide evidence that I represent a commercial business. But then again, maybe not.

I still find it surprising that I can purchase a passenger car battery at a commercial outlet at wholesale prices. If true, why don't all MB owners do it and save themselves a bundle?

The thought occured to me that the reason why MB passenger car parts prices are high is because MB passenger car owners are subsidizing the commercial sector. And they still charge top prices for their products and services. It's a win-win situation. Such much for capitalism.

REGARDS Phil

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They will not ask you anything Phil ,you do not have to be anything.
I do not think the parts department will have a million dollar look for you to help pay for. Most of these outlets on the comercial side are small outlets run on a franchise basis. They do not have the large overheads, so a 30% mark up is fine for them.

Malcolm

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300TD/1998/3.0 Diesel
Hi

Ask them for MA005 541 21 01/28 which is a 100Ah battery that will fit 202,210, M Class.................Vito etc............

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom