New CLK Owner

Wezza77

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 320 AMG CLK Convertible Avantgarde
After years of umming and aahing I finally bit the bullet, sold my Land Rover Disco 2 (petrol 4.0 V8 none of that diesel tractor nonsense - jk diesel owners ;) ) and purchased a low mileage 2001 320 AMG CLK Convertible Avantgarde in silver with the blue roof. I got a blinding deal on it and the geezer that sold it was a diamond, a rarity when purchasing cars in my experience, in fact he was such a decent bloke I gave him the full asking price with no haggling at all and still left happy, how often can you honestly say that's happened :).
The good news is the wife likes it, as do the kids, but we all know life runs smoother if the wife likes the new toy as much as you do, even if her reason for liking it is because it looks better on the drive than the Land Rover did and no doubt adds to the curb appeal of the house. Am looking forward to getting to know you guys and am hoping to restore the old girl to her former glory, nothing too heavy - refurb the wheels (original AMG Alloys), repair the drivers seat bolster and clean up the steering wheel. There's a few tiny rust blisters on the drivers side front wing just in front of the wheel arch (minimal but it's there), so I'll be sorting that too, but overall she's tidy, sorted and already has a place in my heart the Land Rover never quite reached. Hopefully the tone of this post doesn't seem boasty (is that a word?) I'm just over the feckin moon with this car.
All the best folks and pleased to meet you all...
Wezza

kwk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w210 e280 w163 ML320.
Welcome, love the W208 and the 320 engine is an excellent choice. Would be good to see some pics.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Hello and welcome, congrats on your first MB!

First things first...

PICTURES, MAN, PICTURES!!!

Let's see the beastie! The W208 always was a statuesque lady, first one I ever drove was a CLK430 just a year older than yours in that stunning Tanzanite Blue...

On seat and steering wheel repairs, is it the leather that has lost colour/ been rubbed against? If so then we can help you. You can buy leather spray paint, some 600 grit emery paper and a bit of patience and you'll effect a repair that'll be as good as new. I've done it on my CL (2000 reg, driver's bolster), on the steering wheels of two cars as well.

I forget the brand name, it's German and formulated specifically to match MB interior leather colours. About €22 for a tin that will last you a lifetime.

Rust, well you can do the wheelarches of my newly-acquired E320 CDI if you want, there is some on the inside lip of the rear arches! :D

No not boasty, they're a completely different class of car to just about everything else out there, totally change your mind about cars as soon as you drive one; admit it you could never go back now!

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Wezza77, welcome to the forum :)

B

brick10

Hi, welcome to the forum, good cars, iv'e had four of them, one 208 and three 209's.

SJMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 SL63
Nice choice and a good engine. Rust will be a problem in the front and rear wings near the bumper on this age CLK but it's all repairable :)

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
hi . yup the W208 is a great choice, my 320 has enough go for me and its pretty stress free if reasonably maintained think this model was launched before mb decided to screw us all electronically . i have had mine fifteen going sixteen yrs and its cost me an annual service three sets of tyres an maf, a regulator, three sets of pads ,a set of front discs, one battery and climate control panel plus a bottle of a/c gas and a set of belts ... its still on its origional exhaust just ,and has a little play in the steering box. still past last yr mot tho . i dump the engine oil /filter yearly regardless of miles ,very low. its an under rated car that drives and looks good also i would guess they have done depreciating ?? in many ways i prefer it to my R230 .

OP
W

Wezza77

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 320 AMG CLK Convertible Avantgarde
thanks for the comments guys... will get some pics in the next couple of days. re not being comparable to anything else, I've already snubbed the family wagon (2014 S-Max 2.0 Turbo Titanium) and cruising around b-roads in the sunshine today with the roof down I've already forgotten everything else I've ever driven lol.

beccy

MBO Membership Secretary
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
Welcome to the MBO forum

Happy posting! :D

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom