New front tyres needed

Parkway

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A200/2019 1.3
Any recommendations for what tyre to go for. Currently got hanooks on the front, not my choice just what was on the car when i bought it. Got some deals with kwik fit and protyre not sure who to use if im honest?

Any help or suggestions most welcome

I thinking about bridgestone Turanza T005 or Pirelli Cinturato P7

Slartibardfast1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S350L, R231 SL350 & SL400
Any recommendations for what tyre to go for. Currently got hanooks on the front, not my choice just what was on the car when i bought it. Got some deals with kwik fit and protyre not sure who to use if im honest?

May help if you said what your car was :)

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Although we're down in softie south, a couple of years ago (after sidewall failures on Goodyear Eagle F1 Assym2's rear then front) I put Michelin Crossclimates on the front and have been happy with them, Just a week ago the rears were very close to the wear bars so I've changed them to Bridgestone A005Evo all season tyres, immediately noticed how much quieter the car was, and the improvement in ride quality. Seem to grip well too, although they've not yet had a real wet test let alone a slippy - and the S204 is RWD whereas I think OP's car is FWD. Only slight problem was I could not get 245/40R17 all season so I'm trying 235/45R17, no problem so far, no dash warning lights from the rolling circumference being 15mm larger, and the 1 speed indicator thing I've seen so far showed the same as my speedometer.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
If it's any help, I've found Bridgestones and Pirelli to be two of the most overated manufacturers on the market, both living on past reputations that just don't hold up today. Goodyear, Michelin or Continental are far better options, as are some mid range tyres like Falken.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Ahhhh a good old tyre thread.

Pump your tyre size into the tyre websites, determine whats important to you cost, noise, stopping ability in wet, brand, then choose the seller based on your choice of tyre and thier cost.

OP
Parkway

Parkway

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A200/2019 1.3
If it's any help, I've found Bridgestones and Pirelli to be two of the most overated manufacturers on the market, both living on past reputations that just don't hold up today. Goodyear, Michelin or Continental are far better options, as are some mid range tyres like Falken.

Now thats thrown a spanner in the works, on tyre review youtube the bridgestones came out very high

OP
Parkway

Parkway

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A200/2019 1.3
Ahhhh a good old tyre thread.

Pump your tyre size into the tyre websites, determine whats important to you cost, noise, stopping ability in wet, brand, then choose the seller based on your choice of tyre and thier cost.
Im very indecisive lol
Plus theres topcashback to think off

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
a same brand of tyre will not perform the same on another car, tyre Performance depends also on size of tyre, car weight, car power etc etc etc

I had P zero on my W220 they were horrid. I have p zero on my W251 - mint.
I had conti on my W251 (horrid). I have conti on my W205 - mint.
I have michelin in my W220 (ok) that replaced spirt maxx (amazing).
Make sense of that.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Yup, had Pirelli on last car, were pretty good in Summer, got quite noisy in latter part of their life, and were utterly hopeless when temperature dropped below 10°C.

Got Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season on the current chariot and I can't fault them. Smooth, quiet and fronts will need replacing shortly, at 25k miles.

Besides the other brands mentioned, I've also had very good experiences with Avon and Cooper.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.

Goodyear Assymetrics, no competition. And they are very quiet on a smooth road surface. Pirelli’s are very noisy. The only other one’s I possibly would go for are Michelin :)

I suppose ideally you should match with the rear’s :)

Last edited:

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
>>>I suppose ideally you should match with the rear’s

That was the very question I was going to ask, what's on the rear? We never run without all four tyres the same make/model for the most predictable handling, in the wet particularly.

OP
Parkway

Parkway

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A200/2019 1.3
Goodyear Assymetrics, no competition. And they are very quiet on a smooth road surface. Pirelli’s are very noisy. The only other one’s I possibly would go for are Michelin :)

I suppose ideally you should match with the rear’s :)
The rears have over 7mm on them and are Sumitomo ones!!

OP
Parkway

Parkway

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A200/2019 1.3
so not sure I can justify to the mrs that i need rear as well, unless I tell her you guys told me to :)

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
The rears have over 7mm on them and are Sumitomo ones!!

Get rid of them. Budget tyres should really have no place in the market over a certain point/threshold imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Get rid of them. Budget tyres should really have no place in the market over a certain point/threshold imo.

Sumitomo are one of the largest tyre manufacturers in the world. They make Falken and Dunlop brands so might not be as bad as you think.

OP
Parkway

Parkway

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A200/2019 1.3
Does the A200 w177 have a pollen filter?

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Yep some are subsidiaries and there are some reasonable budgets about which we’d happily fit to one who just has a run about and wants to run it on the cheap (without the manufacturing defects of the cheapest budgets) but, they are no way in the same league as the serious stuff. I’ve been in that trade for donkeys years and the premium and mid range stuff is good.

I’ve tested a few budgets, when there came a point we sold nothing less than Falkland/Khumo, due to the pita that budgets were. I’ve never been impressed with their performance and noise but kept and got in a few option made by subsidiaries of the premium names.

Top Bottom