New MB owner as of 2moro

mrbriggs

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am about to be a first time MB owner and can't wait! I'm getting a 97 CLK 320 Elegance. It has got 130k miles, but is a full MB service history.

Picking it up tomorrow am, so just wondered if there was anything I should be looking out for? Quite worried as I've always thought of MB's as being expensive to run etc, but so far so good, I got fully comp insurance for £350 inc my partner. Not bad for a 30 year old I thought!

Right, I'll stop gassing now (and stop talking as well, hahahaha) Over to the experts.....

Thanks in advance

One other thing, can I fit standard merc sat nav? Is the wiring loom the same as on the cd player?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
mrbriggs said:
Hi all,

I am about to be a first time MB owner and can't wait! I'm getting a 97 CLK 320 Elegance. It has got 130k miles, but is a full MB service history.

Picking it up tomorrow am, so just wondered if there was anything I should be looking out for? Quite worried as I've always thought of MB's as being expensive to run etc, but so far so good, I got fully comp insurance for £350 inc my partner. Not bad for a 30 year old I thought!

Right, I'll stop gassing now (and stop talking as well, hahahaha) Over to the experts.....

Thanks in advance

One other thing, can I fit standard merc sat nav? Is the wiring loom the same as on the cd player?
Welcome aboard, Re the Sat Nav the car is pre wired come back when you are ready.

Malcolm

OP
M

mrbriggs

Reaction score
I will be ready this week I hope. You say it's pre wired, I take it you mean the cabling is all there already and it's just a case of taking the cd player out and putting the sat nav in?!

I wanna hear of any problems to look out for as well!

One more thing, the service was done at 131K and the guy stated that it was a FULL service, and wasn't sure what 'type' (i.e. a/b etc). When will it need it's service and what would this cost me typically? I am in the woking, surrey area.

Thanks again.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi & Welcome,
If it had a 'full service' the ASSYST will be showing the No.of miles to an 'A' service. (A=Small ~£250, B=Larg ~£450)

OP
M

mrbriggs

Reaction score
OK, cheers. How often do they need a service or is it down to the way you drive?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
With fully synth the ASSYST should count down from 13K miles, however if you do long journeys and lots of miles this kind wind out to 18K miles.

OP
M

mrbriggs

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments so far! Very quick response! I feel like I'm in safe hands here. :D

OP
M

mrbriggs

Reaction score
Another thing, is there any point in getting the ECU remapped? My mate has just had his 1.8t audi a4 done and there was a massive difference! I suspect it wouldn't be as noticeable on a non turbo tho?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
mrbriggs said:
Another thing, is there any point in getting the ECU remapped? My mate has just had his 1.8t audi a4 done and there was a massive difference! I suspect it wouldn't be as noticeable on a non turbo tho?

No you are right ,its not worth it on a non turbo, the gain is only around 15hk.

Malcolom

OP
M

mrbriggs

Reaction score
I'm thinking I may have gone for a supercharger! I come from a turbo background in the old days and I know they are much more tuneable! Have I made a mistake? I'm not after serious performance, but it would have been nice to spend £250 or so and get 40 extra ponies or so?!

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
You'll be pleasantly surprised with the 320's performance.

Just got rid of one after about 18 months and loved it. 30+ mpg as well.

As television says, not worth re-mapping for what you'll get, but it should go well enough :)

Top Bottom