New member & seeking R230 SL 350 !

bigfella70

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230
Hi folks, just posting for the first time, interested in acquiring an R230 SL 350 as a "second car" and summer tourer.

I've owned many different classics / hobby cars over the years, Jag, MG, Triumph and currently have an Rover SD1 V8 manual tucked in the garage as an ongoing running project for fun!

Mercedes wise I've previously owned a W124 260E (nice condition) back in '03 and then in 07 acquired an R107 500SL (tatty but usable).

After considering a number of other options I am back to seeking a good usable R230 SL350. Did explore this possibility in early 2015 but frightened myself off one with all the potential snags, only to now reconsider and decide it would be worth taking the plunge !

Looking at circa 10k budget for a 2004 - very early 2006 model with the 3.7 V6 (avoiding balancing shaft issues of the subsequent 3.5 and benefit from cheaper road tax rates). Well read on this model in terms of SBC brake unit, water ingress into boot and electrics, fuel tank baffles detaching etc etc and have looked at one or two over the last eighteen months.

Black or silver exterior with dark interior are the preferred colours.

There are obviously cars out there from circa 6k upwards in various conditions / mileage. Any other words of advice on the R230 (other than don't do it)!

Best regards and hope to get involved on this great looking forum !

Dave.

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome big fella, and enjoy your quest! You will normally have a good choice in the 350 unlike the 500 or 600 which are rarer (I know having been on the quest but found the perfect example). You mention the things to look out for- the leaking boot issue is subject of a DIY section post by Malcolm (Television) so that should sort that out- battery drain is another consideration which can be solved by trickle charge/using the car regularly....otherwise the 350 is well sorted and will be loads of fun. Just have a contingency fund aside for the unexpected as the unexpected in these can be expensive....:D

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Nice cars, good choice, the 350 is a popular car for those seeking to avoid ABC issues, but don't rule out the V8s, they are awesome. Main thing is to buy a good one - I have had no problems with mine at all over 22,000 miles and 3½ years of ownership. I used a professional independent to check out the cars I was interested in. A good one should last you many years, if you look after it. Do not buy cheap, and good luck:D

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome, there are some good ones out there. Most thing now are cheap and easy to fix, but little goes wrong with them... The comand and parking sensors were an option on the 350. just ask away and pop up any links of one that you find for sale.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Hello and welcome, there are some good ones out there. Most thing now are cheap and easy to fix, but little goes wrong with them... The comand and parking sensors were an option on the 350. just ask away and pop up any links of one that you find for sale.

Parking sensors are nice to have, but the front ones make an awfully loud beeping noise when you are within 6 inches of anything.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
r230

great cars,and from what i have heard the 3.7 is probrably one of the better ,in some ways because of what it DOES NOT have compared to the 500,600, versions and what has "hopefully" been learnt from them i dont know if the model you refer to will have the exhaust note of the v8/v12 . but i dont think that would bother me much any more ...go for it and let us know ...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
You are right John, looks a nice car with the wide screen comand and parking sensor, wood steering wheel, that could be as nice as they come.

Sometimes photos flatter Malcolm, but so far looks as nice as they come around that price/age. Checked out the MOT status (expired) but the mileage looks genuine.

OP
bigfella70

bigfella70

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230
Thanks all for the welcome and great advice. The car in the link does look nice however couldn't live with the lighter interior :(

One I have seen advertised that's based locally is linked below :

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201507275542364?atmobcid=soc3

Just seems a little high price wise. Intending to view this coming week sometime so will see what it's like in the flesh.

Another similar spec but higher mileage is linked below, see what you guys think ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111948812552

Mileage doesn't out me off per sae however three grand saving could soon be absorbed with some paintwork, servicing and rectification etc !

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The first has the comand, roof and parking sensors,

The second has the comand and telephone and Parking sensors

everything else standard.

Both look very clean from the pictures.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
The first one is indeed too highly pitched. Looks reasonable and more so c10/10.5k....second more reasonably priced something doesn't look quite right though and can't put my finger on it....will study it a bit more later.

OP
bigfella70

bigfella70

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230
Cheers, thought it was an interesting comparison. Of course the high mileage and cheaper car may give relatively trouble free service whereas paying more for the low mileage dealer sourced car doesn't necessarily guarantee against issues ! Only time will tell I suppose.

Over the years I've actually had less bother with high mileage cars than low !

I think the cheaper car is in the hands of an eBay trader although I haven't made any enquiries yet as it's miles away from me (I'm getting lazy in my middle age) !

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Cheers, thought it was an interesting comparison. Of course the high mileage and cheaper car may give relatively trouble free service whereas paying more for the low mileage dealer sourced car doesn't necessarily guarantee against issues ! Only time will tell I suppose.

Over the years I've actually had less bother with high mileage cars than low !

I think the cheaper car is in the hands of an eBay trader although I haven't made any enquiries yet as it's miles away from me (I'm getting lazy in my middle age) !

Looked again and I just can't put my finger on what's bothering me. Initially it was the space between the wheels and the wheel arches didn't look right but it's the same in the more expensive one! I was comparing against mine where the larger wheels fill the space I guess. I am with you on the high mileage not necessarily a problem and in the 230 could be advantageous as it's been driven regularly which these cars need. As Malcolm both look clean and worthwhile exploring...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looked again and I just can't put my finger on what's bothering me. Initially it was the space between the wheels and the wheel arches didn't look right but it's the same in the more expensive one! I was comparing against mine where the larger wheels fill the space I guess. I am with you on the high mileage not necessarily a problem and in the 230 could be advantageous as it's been driven regularly which these cars need. As Malcolm both look clean and worthwhile exploring...

All an illusion as yours and the cars in the links have the same size wheels;)

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
sl

the first of those two looks like a very nice car , miles not bad either, i like dark paint and light interiors ,dark interiors can be a little oppresive in my view let us know which you get .when i bought my sl i got a charcoal interior, which is ok but i would have prefered the silvery grey as in my clk, cant remember the name of the colour ..

OP
bigfella70

bigfella70

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230
This one is interesting. Brake light indicating pads changing is probably more likely the SBC warning of doom ! Not sure what's entailed to sort out the touch screen display. Might be a bargain ? Then again could be a money pit !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231893833280

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This one is interesting. Brake light indicating pads changing is probably more likely the SBC warning of doom ! Not sure what's entailed to sort out the touch screen display. Might be a bargain ? Then again could be a money pit !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231893833280

Something very wrong with this add.

This car does not have parking sensor
It does not have a touch screen
Its petrol, not diesel.
No wind break
One of the jacking point covers is upside down

Me think he knows very little about this car.

Last edited:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom