Lons

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 250d AMG-line, premium plus, night pack, Sept 2017
Hi
I'm Bob from Northumberland UK and have just bought my first Merc after several BMWs and Audis.
It's a GLC 250d AMG-line premium plus with night pack, obsidian black, 20" bi colour wheels, 360 deg cameras, parking plus, running boards, electric towbar etc. Ex demo just a few weeks old.

Very pleased so far apart from the apparent lack of availability of mudflaps to fit. GLC 1.jpg

AMG-Steve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
535d 2006 3.0tt
Someone in my street bought one of these in pearl white,beautiful bit of kit

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Bob, welcome to the forum :)

OP
Lons

Lons

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks guys, I look forward to hopefully contributing although initially it's much more likely to be questions.
I'm used to 4 wheel drive as my last 2 Audis were quatros but my first SUV as I've never liked them much however I love this one so far just getting used to different handling characteristics.

The mudflaps are an issue though as we have a caravan and the thought of damaging that with stone chippings from the rear wheels isn't appealing. I've emailed MB for an explanation and hopefully they might offer a suggestion. Supplying a car with a factory fitted towbar but not able to fit mudflaps seems a bit silly to me and I don't really want to botch it up on an expensive motor.

tc smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk350 (R171)
Welcome Bob, very nice looking machine, any inside photos ?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome Bob- very nice indeed!
I hear you on the mud flaps, MB don’t seem to supply them for AMG line models at all, a lot of folks have reverted to after market items.
Have they got over the ‘crabbing’ issues they had last few years with the GLC? Or have they supplied with winter/all weather tyres now?

OP
Lons

Lons

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had read about the crabbing issues as I did a lot of research but I don't know except that my car is fitted with all season tyres and I made sure I drove it several times on full lock and didn't find a problem.
I looked hard at the Audi Q5, BMW X3, Jaguar F Pace, and New LR Discovery before swapping my A6 avant quatro for the GLC. interior 1.jpg interior 2.jpg

Only have a couple of inside pics not good quality and it's chucking it down outside so no chance of any more at the minute.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
The all seasons seemed to be the fix, and better anyway so a ‘win win’!
Looks fabulous, enjoy!

AEsland

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2015/250D 4matic
I had read about the crabbing issues as I did a lot of research but I don't know except that my car is fitted with all season tyres and I made sure I drove it several times on full lock and didn't find a problem.
I looked hard at the Audi Q5, BMW X3, Jaguar F Pace, and New LR Discovery before swapping my A6 avant quatro for the GLC. View attachment 40229 View attachment 40231

Only have a couple of inside pics not good quality and it's chucking it down outside so no chance of any more at the minute.
A Warning to approved used purchasers. They treat new car buyers very differently from approved used buyers, not surprising I suppose. I bought my Mercedes GLC in late April 2017. It being late in the season I experienced no problems with crabbing until this Nov. I then registered my complaint with Mercedes in Weston super Mare, at the same time as a friend who had previously bought a new GLC. He was given new all season tyres when had crabbing (skipping), while I was initially told I would get them but suddenly they changed there minds and said my car was too old. So beware approved used buyers are second class citizens to Mercedes, despite the car still being a major purchase. They just told me to complain to the motor ombudsman...poor show! I have now bought Michelin Crossclimates myself and doubt I will buy another Mercedes, despite loving my GLC.

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
quite why anybody would buy a GLC beats me. These problems have been well documented.

AEsland

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2015/250D 4matic
quite why anybody would buy a GLC beats me. These problems have been well documented.
Fair enough, the skipping isn't a deal breaker for me. As I said I love my GLC which suits my lifestyle, e.g. going on farms doing metal detecting etc.

OP
Lons

Lons

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My car was 5 weeks old but has all season tyres fitted at the factory so I'm happy with it and after a few weeks use although only 800 miles I'm very happy with my car.
The only disappointment (apart from lack of mudflaps which hopefully will be solved if the ones from China fit), is that it doesn't have a heated windscreen and apparently that's not an option. I specified it for my wifes' Mini clubman and even my daughters Fiesta has it so I feel a bit left out, especially in this weather.

AEsland

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2015/250D 4matic
My car was 5 weeks old but has all season tyres fitted at the factory so I'm happy with it and after a few weeks use although only 800 miles I'm very happy with my car.
The only disappointment (apart from lack of mudflaps which hopefully will be solved if the ones from China fit), is that it doesn't have a heated windscreen and apparently that's not an option. I specified it for my wifes' Mini clubman and even my daughters Fiesta has it so I feel a bit left out, especially in this weather.
No heated windscreen is Ford patented, but the GLC has heated windscreen washes and a good interior heating system. I have never found it a problem and really clear the windscreen almost as fast as my Ford Cmax used to.
You are lucky, mine has Yokohama Geolander summer tyres, good but terrible when it gets really cold. I have a steep tarmac drive and skipping is pronounced on summer tyres. So now I have put on Michelin Crossclimates and I get pretty good grip even in snow.

OP
Lons

Lons

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No heated windscreen is Ford patented, but the GLC has heated windscreen washes and a good interior heating system. I have never found it a problem and really clear the windscreen almost as fast as my Ford Cmax used to.
You are lucky, mine has Yokohama Geolander summer tyres, good but terrible when it gets really cold. I have a steep tarmac drive and skipping is pronounced on summer tyres. So now I have put on Michelin Crossclimates and I get pretty good grip even in snow.
I doubt I would have bought the car without the tyres already fitted or a firm commitment they would fit foc.
As far as heated windscreen I guess I just expected that the high spec on my car would include it although I was aware before purchase that it didn't.
The Ford patent has either expired or other manufacturers have got around it as most of the mainstream manufacturers can offer it these days and as I said I specced it last year on my wifes' new Mini.

AEsland

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2015/250D 4matic
Interesting and surprising.

OP
Lons

Lons

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interesting and surprising.

It's been available on VWs for at least 10 years and My mate used to own a 2007 Jag that had one. I know Audi, BMW, Volvo, Vauxhall, Suzuki, Landrover and many others can offer them so not sure why it's a surprise. I think they're often included as part or a winter or cold weather option pack but with my wifes' Mini as well as her previous Nissan I just specced it as a separate option. The mini cost me about £100 from memory but might have been cheaper than that.

Ford pioneered it with their Quickclear but that was a very long time ago

AEsland

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC/2015/250D 4matic
Ok thanks. On my Ford I found the wires buried in the screen annoying. Anyway enjoy your GLC.

Top Bottom