New Merc Owner

anamatronix

Reaction score
Hi there, spent a couple of weeks lurking here, thought I would stick my head up and introduce myself...

Recently taken delivery of my first MB car - a 03 plate E220CDi with 25K miles on the clock. My previous car history is all jaguar - most recently XJ8 4.0 petrol, so this is a bit different to drive.

First Impressions.

- Very nice to drive. Not as rapid as the jag (!) , but plenty fast enough, and great at cruising on motorways

- Everything works. It all has a nice luxury feel to it, with every switch, button, lever nicely dampened.

- Very supportive seats. Still very comfortable, but less "armchair" like than the jag.

now, the bad bits

- I had a sensor fail, supposedly the day after I took delivery. I would have difficulty proving this happened before hand, but it took a week to get it sorted out, in the meantime my car would go into "safe mode" sporadically, which was a pain.

- My fuel economy isnt as good as I had hoped - getting around 32-33mpg on the computer.

thanks!

Ana

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Hi Ana, welcome to the forum. The old man has an 03 E220 and I must agree, plenty quick enough and a great cruiser. Sensors can go, it happens. I've never had a car that didn't need to go back for something or other, but generally, they are pretty reliable. Since the initial niggles with the airbox mounts and a missing bit of trim, 12 months on and mine still hasn't been anywhere near the dealer.
MPG wise, it greatly depends on how and where you drive. I've seen 21mpg on my E270cdi (crawling into town in gridlock), but I've also seen 47 on a steady 80 motorway run. Yours should be capable of nudging 50mpg if you take it easy. I normally get 40-44 on a run so you should do a bit better still. On one trip we did together, the old man got 39 and I got 37.8 to give you some comparison.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom