1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New owner. Help needed

Discussion in 'General Mercedes-Benz Related Discussion' started by PhilSanni, Aug 6, 2017.

1. PhilSanni

PhilSanni Member

Your Mercedes:
    E220 SE CDI AUTO
    Hi all.

I collected my new Merc yesterday.

The car is a E220 SE CDI AUTO. First registered in 2013, one previous owner. I bought it in a private sale, not through a dealer.

The car is fantastic in every way, except for one problem. The seat.

The lumber support in the driver's seat is one big swollen bulge that digs into my spine in the middle of my back. I've had back problems for years. Though I've never experienced any problems with any of my previous cars. I'm five feet seven approximately.

The handling on this car is amazing. I love driving it, but the seat is terrible and now my back is killing me. There are no lumbar adjustments whatsoever on any of the seats.

It has been suggested that I take it to a vehicle upholsterer who can shave off the bulge. But there are airbags installed on the side of the seat's recline. Would a vehicle upholsterer still be able to do the adjustment with airbags in ?

Failing that can I order a replacement seat with lumbar adjustment for an E220 SE CDI AUTO ? Or any other kind of seat, for that matter, one that doesn't have the same dreadful design that's making my life such a misery.

Where could I order/buy such a seat in the UK ? I've checked the internet, I can't seem to find anything, except on ebay, whose seats don't appear compatible with my car.

My seat controls are installed on the door of the vehicle, by the way. I've tried adjusting it every which way, Nothing works.

Any help would be deeply appreciated. Thanks

2. DREAMER NO2

DREAMER NO2 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W124 2.6E M103
    Sorry i would not know .Other than what you have in your post .

3. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
    The vehicle upholsterer should be your first stop , yes they would know all about seat airbags because this is their business .
    I'm sure the cost of a new seat would make your eyes water .

4. ernieh

ernieh Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    205 / 64 / C220 Bluetec Sport
    Have you read the handbook about your seat controls? What controls are on the door? I would have thought with the controls there, it should include a control to reduce the amount of lumbar support.

When you say nothing works, do you mean that or is it that you can't get an adjustment to suit you. If it is because nothing, literally works, I would get the system checked out by MB. Unfortunately, the car is out of warranty and you will have to pay them but it might be worthwhile if they sort out your problem.

Incidentally, a friend of ours just bought a bargain of a new E Class AMG Sport...the first owner bought it down south, drove it home to Edinburgh - straight to the dealership there because the front seats were so uncomfortable. The garage wouldn't change the seats at any price so he changed the car to one with more comfortable seats!

Ernie

PhilSanni likes this.
  5. Submariner1

Submariner1 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CL500 2009 5.5
    Have you read the manual, quite a few Mercs have seat adjustment on the door but the Lumbar pillow is elsewhere?
    Is on mine. Fully inflated would be horrendous!

Have you checked what option codes the car came with? You might get a nice surprise.

PhilSanni likes this.
  6. OP
    PhilSanni

PhilSanni Member

Your Mercedes:
    E220 SE CDI AUTO
    Hi submariner. Yeah, seat controls are on the door.

No controls however for lumbar adjustment.

What option codes are you referring to ?

7. Mr Filipov

Mr Filipov Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2011 E350 CDI BlueEff
    Have a look on the side of the base of the seat. Should be a round button with 4 indentations.

PhilSanni likes this.
  8. OP
    PhilSanni

PhilSanni Member

Your Mercedes:
    E220 SE CDI AUTO
    Thanks Mr Filipov.

The button that you mention is actually there. But when you press it, it doesn't do anything. Do I need to switch it on from somewhere else ?

I had assumed that button was just another way to adjust the seat forward or backward or tilt etc. But it did nothing if you pressed it anyway so I just ignored it.

9. ernieh

ernieh Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    That's the button for the lumbar adjustment! If it does nothing, there's something wrong. Suggest you get it to MB and have it checked out.

Ernie

PhilSanni likes this.
  10. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    You need ignition on for it to work

PhilSanni and ernieh like this.
  11. OP
    PhilSanni

PhilSanni Member

Your Mercedes:
    E220 SE CDI AUTO
    Hi everyone.

Gawd, I'm so happy right now.

@LostKiwi @ernieh @Mr Filipov @Submariner1

I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart, because without you I probably would have never resolved this problem.

Yes, the button on the side of the seat is the lumbar adjustment.

Problem was I checked again yesterday but I didn't know how to make it work. I thought it was broken, so I went to my mechanic today to see if anything can be done to fix it. It turns out all you had to do was flick a small switch on the door handle. I never even knew that switch was there. In fact, it took even the mechanic a while to find it. But when he did, everything worked like magic. You flip the switch, you turn on the engine, you dial in the adjustment and hey presto, evil bump gone.

I'm on top of the world right. I can't believe I was actually thinking of ditching this vehicle for something as simple as this. Matter of fact I had already put down a reserve on a GLA 4matic that I test drove on Thursday at motorpoint. My heart really wasn't really in it though. I really really wanted to hold on to my E-Class. And now I can !

Deep appreciation, guys. This forum is great !

Mr Filipov, ernieh and MARK.W like this.
  12. Craiglxviii

Craiglxviii Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W215 CL500 Garage Queen; W212 E220 AMG Night Edition; W211 E320 Avantgarde Estate Designo Edition
  13. daibevan

daibevan Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006
    That's what it's all about. Well done everyone:):):)

14. ernieh

ernieh Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Really glad you got it sorted...and I bet so is your wallet!! With the drive problems on some 4WD 4-Matics you should be doubly glad!

Ernie

15. Submariner1

Submariner1 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CL500 2009 5.5
    Very pleased you are happy :)
    Its actually worth reading the manual cover to cover. A complete pig of a job.
    But some of the highly specced cars are devils ...
    Some of the functions are via buttons, then some are via Comand and others are via the dash menu.
    What throws me is when part of the control is in 2 places.
    Lighting being a good example, what with "Cornering" and "Motorway" beam, and Intelligent Lighting :-/ and the criteria that has to be met for a certain element to work.
    Or the bonnet catch, once mine wasnt quite shut 100% .... I thought the wiper motor had died ... of course discovered this as I drove off in pelting weather! A quick slam and all back to normal!

16. Mr Filipov

Mr Filipov Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2011 E350 CDI BlueEff
    Glad you got it sorted and are happy with the car.

17. DREAMER NO2

DREAMER NO2 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W124 2.6E M103
    With all these new fandangled bits , owners have very little time to drive their cars