New to Mercedes

shadowsnypa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2013 w204
Hi all

Im new to Mercedes, having driven BMW all my life, from E30s (3 series 84'), to G12s (7 series - 2018), i am about to inherit a w204 C220 CDI, in White, its a 2013 reg.

I have so many questions but will limit this initial post to what i need in a car, I will be using this car for my 60 mile daily commute, so I checked and it does have the essentials like cruise control, Bluetooth for tel and for music......the car has done around 55K miles and has been in the family for around 7 years.

The following I will be doing straight away:-

Will change front grill from silver to black (i see they are about £50 from fleabay) - how easy to remove and fit?

The car comes with 16" wheels, although the VIN when decoded states 19!! so I am looking for 18-19" wheels and tyres, I checked and the car is 5x112 bolt pattern and 8-8.5j - is 19 too big for this vehicle - will it rub against arches etc.... any pictures of recommendations (probably go darker colour on wheels- -grey or black) want to stay OEM though.

Is it worth buying the folding mirrors (i don't have these) and retrofitting I understand will need 2 new wing mirrors that can fold, a button module and coding. can anyone recommend someone who can code if it is worth it?

Is there anything to watch our for in this motor?

any recommended upgrades?

I thank you all in advance for any assistance.

OP
S

shadowsnypa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2013 w204
Hi all

Im new to Mercedes, having driven BMW all my life, from E30s (3 series 84'), to G12s (7 series - 2018), i am about to inherit a w204 C220 CDI, in White, its a 2013 reg.

I have so many questions but will limit this initial post to what i need in a car, I will be using this car for my 60 mile daily commute, so I checked and it does have the essentials like cruise control, Bluetooth for tel and for music......the car has done around 55K miles and has been in the family for around 7 years.

The following I will be doing straight away:-

Will change front grill from silver to black (i see they are about £50 from fleabay) - how easy to remove and fit?

The car comes with 16" wheels, although the VIN when decoded states 19!! so I am looking for 18-19" wheels and tyres, I checked and the car is 5x112 bolt pattern and 8-8.5j - is 19 too big for this vehicle - will it rub against arches etc.... any pictures of recommendations (probably go darker colour on wheels- -grey or black) want to stay OEM though.

Is it worth buying the folding mirrors (i don't have these) and retrofitting I understand will need 2 new wing mirrors that can fold, a button module and coding. can anyone recommend someone who can code if it is worth it?

Is there anything to watch our for in this motor?

any recommended upgrades?

I thank you all in advance for any assistance.

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
hello and welcome

im presuming you have the OM651 engine, common issues
water pump leaking
fuel filter housing leaking
rocker gasket and injector seal (Black Death)
inlet manifold sheered bolt
listen on cold start up for chain rattle
DPF sensor issues

with only 55k on the clock you might be ok for a while

other than that there not bad engines quite economical unless your into ULEZ, but rather noisy.

OP
S

shadowsnypa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDI 2013 w204
hello and welcome

im presuming you have the OM651 engine, common issues
water pump leaking
fuel filter housing leaking
rocker gasket and injector seal (Black Death)
inlet manifold sheered bolt
listen on cold start up for chain rattle
DPF sensor issues

with only 55k on the clock you might be ok for a while

other than that there not bad engines quite economical unless your into ULEZ, but rather noisy.
How do I find out what engine I have.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
To answer a few questions

The front Grill is easy to remove, 2 bolts on the top and the bottom slides back, videos on YouTube

Wheels wise 18" is no problem

Front 8Jx18 ET50 fitted with 225/40 R18 92Y
Rear 8.5x18" ET54 fitted with 255/35 R18 94Y

These are the OEM ones

I would check the Gearbox Service, if it hasn't had it done, then it needs it ASAP

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
How do I find out what engine I have.
You can use either of the following VIN decoders to find out more about your car.

PS - welcome!

Pritchsas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes c class sport
Front grill change is doable, upgrading to 18-19" wheels should work, and folding mirrors are a nice addition.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom