Newbie intro and question re: new CLS purchase

viralto

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm Tim and I'm new here!

My usual petrolhead passion is for old American machinery (just acquired a 1964 Pontiac Grand Prix) but, I need a something as daily driver to get me around so I've decided on a CLS 320.

There were a few cars available from stock when I paid the local Mercedes dealer a visit and being impatient, I picked out a silver one with black leather and 18" wheels. I'd have preferred black but they didn't have one available (they sold 4 to a company the day before). The sales guy rang me a couple of days ago and asked if I was still keen on a black car as they'd had a cancelled order. It turns out that the car is black with black nappa leather and the standard 17" wheels but (and it's a BIG but!), the car was sent to Lorinser for tuning work that has already been paid for by the original customer.

According to the ream of paperwork he gave me, it's the first CLS 320 to receive this work and the spec sheet says 275PS and 670Nm of torque. The list price on the car was £48K but as the Lorinser part of the bill has already been paid, I can have the car delivered next week for £43K, I said yes on the basis that I'm much more interested in performance than bigger wheels and the price is less than list for a standard 320.

I guess I'll end up with a car that looks like standard but goes like stink!

Am I sad, mad or very smart?!

:confused:

All opinions gratefully received!

Last edited:

angus falconer

Reaction score
Hi there,

I said yes on the basis that I'm much more interested in performance than bigger wheels and the price is less than list for a standard 320.

I guess I'll end up with a car that looks like standard but goes like stink!

Am I sad, mad or very smart?!

:confused:
!

Not confused, only mad in the right way and very smart :)

(a) it will ride better
(b) you will blow most cars into the weeds
(c) you save a shed load on the tuning work and can always buy larger wheels/tyres at some point if you have the urge - and you will STILL be quids in
(d) you can't lose

OP
V

viralto

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies gents - I don't usually seek any kind of approval for the decisions I make (especially when it comes to cars) but this is an area where my knowledge is limited and the £'s involved are relatively high!

Sounds like I'm on the right track - especially since the big surprise was that my insurance cost will actually decrease from what I'm paying for the 5 year old, 115,000 mile Subaru Forester Turbo I'm using at the moment!

Roll on next Friday :D

gary350

Reaction score
Hi there,

The list price on the car was £48K but as the Lorinser part of the bill has already been paid, I can have the car delivered next week for £43K,

All opinions gratefully received!

The most I have been offered off a new CLS is just under 2K your deal is 5K plus the sporty bit not bad.

gary

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: - Thats envy.
The smaller rims will only make it more comfortable, the rest just makes me green.

Top Bottom