Newbie to Mercedes needs advise on instrument cluster position

Vehementi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 AMG Sport Edition Coupe (C204), 2011, 2.2 CDI
Gotta work on your driviong style Cuz

hqdefault.jpg

I think my driving style is just fine blud.

It's not so much that- if you've ever seen an airbag in action you'll understand. It's more that if the head isn't on the headrest and/ or the body is not properly adjusted in the seat (leaning forwards)- will the airbag deployment slam the driver back in his seat against the seat hard enough to cause spinal injury? Distinct concern.

That's a very good point you've made.

Given that airbags deploy like a shotgun, it wouldn't be surprising if their are cases of spinal injury resulting from poor seating adjustments/airbag deployment.

Trust me, it will be sufficient.

The head will not touch the steering wheel before the airbag explodes their faces off.

Even if they're that close they could lick the steering wheel? I've seen people drive like that.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Had a closer look in my 210 today and the cluster is very slightly offset left compared to the wheel. Not enough to cause issue but its there when you look for it.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Even if they're that close they could lick the steering wheel? I've seen people drive like that.

Yes, the speed of airbag deployment is around 200mph, via an explosion thus the acceleration of the airbag surface is mental-crazy. Basically, it deploys quickly enough to be a formed gas-filled cushion BEFORE you hit it from a properly adjusted driving position.

Now imagine you've had a collision, the car was travelling at 50mph and is now at a dead stop or slowing down very quickly. That means your body continues to move forwards at the speed the car was doing until the seatbelt slack is taken up. Only, you're occupying the same volume of space that the airbag wants to. You're either stationary against the seatbelt straps or moving forwards into them as your flesh deforms (seatbelts cut into you remember, bruising...) and your head will be moving forwards because it's very similar to a bowling ball stuck on a bendy broom handle. Then the airbag hits you at 200mph......... and there's a gap between your back and the seat back, your head that was moving forwards at 50mph has to decelerate to zero and then gets moved backwards at 200mph into the headrest over a very short distance, experiencing something like 25-30g.

That's why sitting in the way of an airbag is really Not A Good Career Choice.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Had a closer look in my 210 today and the cluster is very slightly offset left compared to the wheel. Not enough to cause issue but its there when you look for it.

Yeah my 230 too now it's mentioned...I just miss a bit of the rev counter...not that I need that as I've got an audible version anyway ;)

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Those were the days when all that was required was an oil pressure gauge and a rev counter

BCHDIMECHE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC250d
I found the HUD seemed slightly to the left when looking straight and you had to lean ever so slightly to the left to view all the details. I'm only 5'2" but when I collected it the salesman was adamant (he was no Prince Charming) the HUD couldn't be adjusted and I was simply too short as the 30mph sign kept bobbing up and down into view if I went over a bump. His advice was lift the seat up a bit more.
Anyways you can adjust the HUD in a vertical plane, but I still found it offset to the LHS......maybe it's that naughty Ackerman steering Angle gremlin at large.....again.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom