John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Well unfortunately it looks like the summary is
Yes all Mercedes are like this
The Audi seemed to suit you better in this respect , pity
If you like all other aspects of the Mercedes then you will adjust
For what it's worth I have never yet been able to adjust any car I've had ( and that's been a fair few and across many brands) where I've had a 100% clear view of every instrument so I've just compromised. Never thought of it as a choice just how it is. Suppose if I had a few mill hanging around spare I'd have a car custom built around me....actually no I wouldn't !
So OP has a genuine concern but it's not easily solved..
Think this needs put to bed now?

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Well unfortunately it looks like the summary is
Yes all Mercedes are like this
The Audi seemed to suit you better in this respect , pity
If you like all other aspects of the Mercedes then you will adjust
For what it's worth I have never yet been able to adjust any car I've had ( and that's been a fair few and across many brands) where I've had a 100% clear view of every instrument so I've just compromised. Never thought of it as a choice just how it is. Suppose if I had a few mill hanging around spare I'd have a car custom built around me....actually no I wouldn't !
So OP has a genuine concern but it's not easily solved..
Think this needs put to bed now?

Nah, there's another 3 pages in this easily John :D

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I was reading but resisting Craig but.....;)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I actually like to use the trip function when driving.

You can easily scroll between the two, I always have the digitial speedo up as it's easier to read

I could use the speedo at the top of the screen if it wasn't fixed on Km/h, and don't get me going on that one....

Those pesky European laws

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Ah, now I see (with reference to the pics in the OP's last post (hopefully)).This happens to me too...when I have the steering wheel set in the wrong position.

I wasn't joking above. You are tall, so seat low and steering wheel high. Even a blind man can see your steering wheel is set too low.

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Ah, now I see (with reference to the pics in the OP's last post (hopefully)).This happens to me too...when I have the steering wheel set in the wrong position.

I wasn't joking above. You are tall, so seat low and steering wheel high. Even a blind man can see your steering wheel is set too low.

Ah but does a blind man need a steering wheel? That's the real question

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Ah but does a blind man need a steering wheel? That's the real question

of course, how would he steer the car otherwise?

Does he need windscreen wipers though, that's the real question. Or a windscreen even...

OP
R

RickZ

Reaction score
Website
www.dvdmemories.co.uk
Your Mercedes
GLC 250D 4Matic AMG Line Coupe Premium Plus

I wasn't joking above. You are tall, so seat low and steering wheel high. Even a blind man can see your steering wheel is set too low.[/QUOTE;):):(:p:mad::D:confused::eek::rolleyes::smile::eek::cool::cool::evil::arrow:

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
Just checked my C class to see how far off the steering wheel is, as I've never noticed any issues.

Sitting in the back seat and using the drivers seat head rest as a centre point, I looked through the middle of the head rest with one eye dead centre.
The Mercedes logo on the steering wheel was directly under the centre of the instrument display.

I'm still wondering if the OP's steering is offset to one side or if it's the drivers head not centred causing it to look like the steering wheel is off centre.

Maybe other members could check their car in the same way I have to see if their steering is inline or off to one side.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Mine is dead centre. Obviously if I bugger about with the wheel adjustment I can block it but not normally.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can assure you it's not the steering wheel in the wrong place...

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
It was a genuine question, I'm not trolling in any way what so ever. The two photo's attached are a better representation of what I'm seeing from each eye with steering wheel fully up and seat in the right position. In order to see properly I have to set my seat so that the top of my shoulders are below the bottom of the drivers side window which means I can't see the bottom 20% of the multi function display. I haven't had to drive any other vehicle including sports vehicles I've owned sat so low in order to see the main speedo dial. I now accept this is a Mercedes thing I'll have to get used to. In future I'll remember that many Mercedes members have little tolerance for genuine questions from those new to Mercedes.....

Are you sure the wheel is in the fully up position, it looks a bit low to me.

Vehementi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 AMG Sport Edition Coupe (C204), 2011, 2.2 CDI
Just checked my C class to see how far off the steering wheel is, as I've never noticed any issues.

Sitting in the back seat and using the drivers seat head rest as a centre point, I looked through the middle of the head rest with one eye dead centre.
The Mercedes logo on the steering wheel was directly under the centre of the instrument display.

I'm still wondering if the OP's steering is offset to one side or if it's the drivers head not centred causing it to look like the steering wheel is off centre.

Maybe other members could check their car in the same way I have to see if their steering is inline or off to one side.

Mine is dead center, no offset at all.

I'm willing to bet a fiver that the thread starter is sitting cock eyed in the seat....

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Mine is dead center, no offset at all.

I'm willing to bet a fiver that the thread starter is sitting cock eyed in the seat....

You do see a lot of drivers sitting too far the the left so that their head doesn't line up with the headrest.

Come to think of it how many people do you see driving a 4x4 where you can only see their eyes above the steering wheel. Dont people realise the danger of driving a car where they can not adjust the seating position correctly.

Vehementi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 AMG Sport Edition Coupe (C204), 2011, 2.2 CDI
You do see a lot of drivers sitting too far the the left so that their head doesn't line up with the headrest.

Come to think of it how many people do you see driving a 4x4 where you can only see their eyes above the steering wheel. Dont people realise the danger of driving a car where they can not adjust the seating position correctly.

Of course, even my own brother does it.

Quite a lot, I've seen plenty of 4x4 owners not being able to see over the wheel not to mention very close to the wheel as well. Makes me wonder if they have an accident is the airbag going to be sufficient enough to stop them from slamming their heads into the steering wheel.

I put it down to people just not bothering taking 5 minutes of their time to adjust the seat, it's one of my first 'To do' things when buying a new car or driving someone elses.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Quite a lot, I've seen plenty of 4x4 owners not being able to see over the wheel not to mention very close to the wheel as well. Makes me wonder if they have an accident is the airbag going to be sufficient enough to stop them from slamming their heads into the steering wheel.

I put it down to people just not bothering taking 5 minutes of their time to adjust the seat, it's one of my first 'To do' things when buying a new car or driving someone elses.

It's not so much that- if you've ever seen an airbag in action you'll understand. It's more that if the head isn't on the headrest and/ or the body is not properly adjusted in the seat (leaning forwards)- will the airbag deployment slam the driver back in his seat against the seat hard enough to cause spinal injury? Distinct concern.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.

Trust me, it will be sufficient.

The head will not touch the steering wheel before the airbag explodes their faces off.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom