No car for 4 months, sub frame problem!

Paulel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2014 2.1
I got a big surprise today when I took my e220 d for a service and mot. I knew there was a problem with the rear subframe when I bought the car in June this year but, because I’d done my homework, I didn’t worry about the advisory on the rear subframe because it had full M B service history and, after doing a bit of research on this forum, I thought I’d be ok. Today I took my most favorite car to my local M B dealer for a service and mot. So you can imagine my surprise when I was told the service was done but they couldn’t do the mot because there was a hole in the rear subframe. A bad situation then turned into a nightmare when they told me it would take 3 or 4 months to get a new subframe. I rely on my car to get to and from work wtf!!!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I got a big surprise today when I took my e220 d for a service and mot. I knew there was a problem with the rear subframe when I bought the car in June this year but, because I’d done my homework, I didn’t worry about the advisory on the rear subframe because it had full M B service history and, after doing a bit of research on this forum, I thought I’d be ok. Today I took my most favorite car to my local M B dealer for a service and mot. So you can imagine my surprise when I was told the service was done but they couldn’t do the mot because there was a hole in the rear subframe. A bad situation then turned into a nightmare when they told me it would take 3 or 4 months to get a new subframe. I rely on my car to get to and from work wtf!!!
Took less than 2 weeks for a new subframe on my SLK in October this year, hopefully it won’t take long for your E

OP
Paulel

Paulel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2014 2.1
I should have kept my SLK! Not really, I love the e cabriolet but that love affair is being tested at the moment. The MB dealer in Dorchester told me 3 or 4 months but he did get one in 2! Apparently they are made in one country (China?) then shipped to Germany before being sent to the U K.

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Hopefully 4 months is the worst case scenario, and you get it much sooner. Made in China, you do suprise me. ;):)

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
How old is the car?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Made in China steel on a mb, tells, a wder story really does it not. I ain't ever payin 50,60k for a prestige car? Assembled from China pts.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Made in China steel on a mb, tells, a wder story really does it not. I ain't ever payin 50,60k for a prestige car? Assembled from China pts.
Hopefully a lot of manufacturing will come back to Europe now the China dream is turning into a nightmare - who would have thought politicians could be so stupid trusting a totalitarian state I suppose greed takes over and all logic goes out of the window

OP
Paulel

Paulel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2014 2.1
I’m only guessing it’s made in china because most things seem to be these days.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Probably worth asking MB where they are made can’t believe a 14 plate car needs a new subframe it might be a one off but I doubt it

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
I have friends who have a fabrication business and they have made it perfectly clear to their steel suppliers they no longer want any Chinese steel.
This was after a piece arrived where it had the appearance of a hammer head (not shark) embedded in the steel where the scrap elements within the steel production had not got up to a satisfactory temperature to have completely melted in.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I have friends who have a fabrication business and they have made it perfectly clear to their steel suppliers they no longer want any Chinese steel.
This was after a piece arrived where it had the appearance of a hammer head (not shark) embedded in the steel where the scrap elements within the steel production had not got up to a satisfactory temperature to have completely melted in.
New Forth road bridge… they had 200 welders on site reworking the steel from China… :eek:

curious

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only the Vito left! W639/1 OM646
... and another Chinese steel story.
Another friend has a job as an inpsection diver on a large european offshore windfarm where the pylons are under constant routine inspection because the Chinese manufacturer re-used the welding flux off the shop floor repeated times and introduced problems into the weld!
Can't do much about it now they've been driven into the seabed.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
And why I not too worried about their military kit. Half wud not make it past 1st day. Tho Chinese goin into combat with sticks wud still be a prob, sheer numbers and like Russia little or no concern over their own casualties.
Anyway Chinese steel is crap I have had 6 inch bucket pins fall in two when hammering them in!!

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
9 years old. Serviced by MB every year.
Have you asked for a courtesy car? I believe the sub frame problems are well known as a manufacturing fault?

OP
Paulel

Paulel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2014 2.1
Probably worth asking MB where they are made can’t believe a 14 plate car needs a new subframe it might be a one off but I doubt it
This is a problem that has been known to MB for a long time, that’s why they are offering free replacements. Mine also has another problem that’s been known to the company for years, the paint is fire opal red. It’s a lovely colour but there have been many problems with it over the years but MB continued to use it. Mine was completely resprayed by MB and I only bought it after a thorough examination of the whole body.

OP
Paulel

Paulel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2014 2.1
Have you asked for a courtesy car? I believe the sub frame problems are well known as a manufacturing fault?
Yes they have known about the fault for a long time and I think you are right, I should ask for a courtesy car.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom