no dipstick on c-class

sportscoupe

Reaction score
Hi,i was just wonderind gow accurate the electronic oil measuring is on the c-class.the reason being mine told me today that i needed 1.5ltrs to top up to max,then on a slightly different surface it told me the level was ok.i realise it says to be on a level surface when checking the level,but how many of us have a spirit level available when doing so.i`d appreciate any feed back on this folks,thanks.

type49

Reaction score
Get it on a level surface & leave it for 5 mins. There is a way of reading exactly how much oil is in the engine, not just too high/low or OK. This does depend on year though.

OP
S

sportscoupe

Reaction score
Hi,it`s an 06 220 cdi.i read the manual,checked level at operating temp after waiting 5/10 mins and got 2 diff readings.there can only have been 3 or 4 degrees difference on the ground level.so how else can you check the level then.thanks for the prompt reply

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If you live in Lyme Regis like me, where no where is flat, then push the button after your Tesco shopping.

type49

Reaction score
Hi,it`s an 06 220 cdi.i read the manual,checked level at operating temp after waiting 5/10 mins and got 2 diff readings.there can only have been 3 or 4 degrees difference on the ground level.so how else can you check the level then.thanks for the prompt reply

Your car may be too late for this to work but give it a go..............
Ignition key in 1st position (not ingnition on), scroll through steering wheel menu untill outside temp is displayed. Press dash reset button (on left) 3 times quickly. Do you now have a battery voltage displayed? If so, use up/down buttons on wheel to get to a menu which has various writing & figures on it, at the bottom, says "oil" or "oil level". When you reach this, then switch ignition on & it will display the actual oil quantity in the sump. Compare this to you spec on your handbook. I think it should be 6.5 litres but best look it up.

eric242340

Banned
Reaction score
Cant speak for the accuracy on C Class but on S Class its very accurate. working temperature is very important though. Min 80 degrees.

type49

Reaction score
Cant speak for the accuracy on C Class but on S Class its very accurate. working temperature is very important though. Min 80 degrees.

Yes, I've found it 100% accurate on all model which have this feature. Also yes, hot engine & leave it for 5/10 mins to settle.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I use the 'trick' that type49 details on my C270CDi. It should hold 6.5L but the max it ever displayed, even after service when I supplied my own oil and they used 6.5L, is 6.2L (all readings taken at stone cold).
It went as low as 5.4L before the service, but it never asked for more oil.

I have gingerly added 100ml at a time (as I've read dire warnings about overfilling) and now it shows 6.5L.

By the way, oil is written in German on the multi-function display - I think it appears as Öl.

Last edited:
OP
S

sportscoupe

Reaction score
re-oil levels.

Thanks guys,all the suggestions helped.i`m in around 6l`s and its due a service in approx 2400mls so i`ll just go for a 1/2 ltr top up.once again thanks for the feed back

carabind

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class
Re "Your car may be too late for this to work but give it a go..............
Ignition key in 1st position (not ingnition on), scroll through steering wheel menu untill outside temp is displayed. Press dash reset button (on left) 3 times quickly. Do you now have a battery voltage displayed? If so, use up/down buttons on wheel to get to a menu which has various writing & figures on it, at the bottom, says "oil" or "oil level". When you reach this, then switch ignition on & it will display the actual oil quantity in the sump. Compare this to you spec on your handbook. I think it should be 6.5 litres but best look it up "

This was new to me,and works on my 55 E class, and I can see my oil level now (6.4l), does anyone know their way around the service menus that are a couple of menus on?

Last edited:

type49

Reaction score
Re "Your car may be too late for this to work but give it a go..............
Ignition key in 1st position (not ingnition on), scroll through steering wheel menu untill outside temp is displayed. Press dash reset button (on left) 3 times quickly. Do you now have a battery voltage displayed? If so, use up/down buttons on wheel to get to a menu which has various writing & figures on it, at the bottom, says "oil" or "oil level". When you reach this, then switch ignition on & it will display the actual oil quantity in the sump. Compare this to you spec on your handbook. I think it should be 6.5 litres but best look it up "

This was new to me,and works on my 55 E class, and I can see my oil level now (6.4l), does anyone know their way around the service menus that are a couple of menus on?

What service menus do you mean, resetting/data/comformation?

carabind

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class
What service menus do you mean, resetting/data/comformation?

Would also be useful to know how to reset the "service needed in x miles", for those who do their own! and also the data part

Top Bottom