1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No internal Boot release on SL400

Discussion in 'Bodywork, Tyres, Wheels & Trim' started by Cardiffstation, Dec 4, 2018 at 12:31 PM.

1. Cardiffstation

Cardiffstation New Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL400 - 2015 2998cc
    I have a 2015 SL400. The manual states there should be a boot release button on the driver's side just by the door pocket. Mine does not have one. Also there is no facility on the key to open the boot independently of unlocking the car. On my previous SLK350 I had a separate button on the key fob. Problem is, if my passenger needs access to the boot whilst I'm in the driver's seat, e.g. dropping someone off, I have to get out of the car to open the boot. Passenger finds it difficult to open boot themselves - risk of broken finger nails etc. Is this common on this model or have I been short changed?

2. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    R320 2007
    Is it not just one of many the options on a Merc? My R Class has what you describe but I know it was an option as not every car I looked at had it.

3. sl500amgsport

sl500amgsport Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 2014
    No the SL R231does not have remote boot release as standard, an option was to open it by waving your foot underneath the bumper.

I was surprised too!

Mercedes SL500 R231

4. flowrider99

flowrider99 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 (R230) / Audi S5
    That's a bummer! My Audi S5 sportback doesn't have a remote boot release but the S5 coupe does, go figure, just another little annoyance. :(

sl500amgsport likes this.
  5. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W212 E63 ///AMG V8 Biturbo Volvo XC90 2018
    Backwards step is it not? The 230 had it as standard I’m sure?

6. sl500amgsport

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 2014
    I think it was deliberate to force the keyless option with foot boot control feature.

Mercedes SL500 R231

John Laidlaw likes this.
  7. Monday

Monday Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL400 2016, E300 Coupe 2018

It did, but it was a boot release, it "popped" the boot but didn't actually open it. There was a 3 button key and I think an internal release switch. US R230's seemed to have full boot opening and closing - not sure if this was US only or a UK option on the R230.

Looking at the current configurator for the R231, it is still a 2 button key as standard; you have to open the boot manually. There is an option for power boot opening/closing but, as is the fashion these days, it is part of a package which includes Harmon Kardon sound, soft close doors etc at a package price of £5k. I think for that money I can open and close my own boot.

But I don't think my wife can so therein lies the problem!

At least the current spec R231 has a power boot separator so you don't have to get out, open the boot, close the separator to put the roof down.

John Laidlaw likes this.
  8. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    Not a fan of the electric boot separator, too many micro-switches. If the boot has anything in it then it opens again at the merest touch. With a manual separator you optimise the boot loading and still get the roof down. I was watching a main dealer trying to close the boot on a new SL400, the separator kept opening and wouldn't let the boot close. Nothing in the bot but the car wasn't having any of it. I can see that being an issue outside of warranty...

sl500amgsport likes this.
  9. sl500amgsport

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 2014
    The manual separator can also be a bit temperamental if you do not position the lugs into the contacts properly, I had issues when I first bought the SL500 but after a few weeks got the knack of it, I have just realised it is best to keep it stowed during Winter and only put it in place from spring, less wear on the contacts that way...

Mercedes SL500 R231

10. Blobcat

Blobcat Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    R171 SLK280 3.0, Land Rover 110 County SW
    I find it best to keep using them and using contact cleaning lubricant, I also use the roof regularly.

11. Monday

Monday Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL400 2016, E300 Coupe 2018
    I have a bit of a rattle from somewhere back there which is less with the separator closed and disappears altogether when the roof is down. Something must get tensioned?

12. rorywquin

rorywquin Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2017 SL400 with lots of fruit
    I believe that it is intentional - rather that, than damaging the roof / mechanism.

Re the boot opening ....I don't see what the big deal is - If the boot has to be opened then I have to go to it. My wife has no problem opening it either.