1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no kickdown

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by range rover, May 18, 2018.

1. range rover

range rover Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S class 320L CDI 4DR Auto CHALCEDONY BLUE 2005/straight 6
    As title no kickdown, makes no difference in comfort or sport mode, can still select manually with the shift. EPC visit workshop shown, with 150k miles does this mean big bucks? I have had the transmission fluid changed every 60k miles

2. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
    I would guess you won't know what's involved until it's had any fault codes read by STAR at an indy or MB . Good luck with it all

3. bembo449

bembo449 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    216 5.5 v8 , range rover vogue , alfa romeo brera
    is this the only thing you've noticed pal ?? anything else amiss ??

4. OP
    range rover

Your Mercedes:
    Don't you think that is enough! This car has been very reliable, and from what I read on another thread, the five speed box is too, maybe it won't be such a big issue, I will keep everybody posted anyway.

5. m2287

m2287 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Bentley Continental GT - S55K AMG - RR vogue - Mazda6 estate
    Probably an issue with the fuel system, my guess would be an injector or the high pressure pump

6. umblecumbuz

umblecumbuz Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S204 and CLC 204 cdi, other non-Merc machines
    I think you'll find that when Bembo asked that question he knows that when kickdown is faulty there are often other noticeable symptoms occurring at the same time. These give a further insight into the possible reasons for your problem.

So his question is not yet answered.

7. OP
    range rover

Your Mercedes:
    Oh, ok, I'm not sure but I think third gear is not selected unless I use the selector to manually go through the gears, all will be revealed this incoming week I'm sure, and I will of course keep you posted. Thank you very much for your interest.

8. OP
    range rover

Your Mercedes:
    Well, the results!
    Fault caused by pressure sensor for DPF: £101 for fitting same+ £53 for said sensor.
    I have used the main dealer simply because, (a) courtesy car always available, and (b) I have 30 year roadside assistance, the latter I assumed I had foregone as I had used an Indie for a couple of years, and last year the waterpump packed in just a few days before we were due to drive down to Preston, and panic set in, I called the main dealer who informed me that I had 30year roadside assistance, I think he made a mistake, but why argue! Soo the moral side of me came to the fore, and now unless something unforeseen happens I intend to continue with the main dealer. The breakdown van came here yesterday morning, the guy connected a box of tricks to the car, brought a laptop and clipped it to the van steering wheel and read the codes wirelessly, and gave me his likely prognosis. Nothing is free of course, that test at home cost £27.60 + £82.80 to perform a further test, presumably after the new sensor was fitted, all in all including vat £317, I'm sure the Indie would have cost less, but more hassle for me. In the scheme of things this was buttons after 151K miles I suppose.

9. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W212 E63 ///AMG V8 Biturbo Volvo XC90 2018
    Good result in the end ...and everyone has their own reasons for their service partner choices ...