No Merc yet, gathering advice

Wombat457

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 E350 3.5ltr V6
surpasses anything previous including a Cadillac bls and a jeep Grand Cherokee,Ford Econoline,

:) have to smile sorry, you can't put those things in the same catergory as a Merc, they're little more than over priced pretenders :)

old man Logan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 e280 elegance
No I'm not just comparing comfort comparison

old man Logan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 e280 elegance
Too true just comparing comfort,the Econoline was very comfortable but a giant p.i.t.a to park

OP
I

Incubroz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Here to help identify which to eventually buy
So there’s been a few comments about ownerships costs.
I appreciate that I could dig through these forms to read about what owners have had to fork out for but, at the same time, as someone else rightly cautioned, these forums can give an overly negative impression as people often come here specifically because they’ve encountered issues.
So what are the main, pretty much unavoidable ownerships costs that come with owning a Merc?
If it makes it easier, let’s assume I was to go with something like an E350 petrol or diesel, as discussed.
Is it mainly high servicing costs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
The main big bill to my knowledge is the oil cooler seals. I’ve seen a few mention failing rear sub frames. The turbo inlet seals should be a service item. I also think injector/seals can cause issues, although I’ve not experienced this myself. They are heavy on brakes and suspension and even though items may not be picked up on MOTs, doesn’t mean they are not worn. The 3.0ltr v6 diesel is a tried and tested work horse.

My main issue with buying these (and other modern stuff) is the stupid extended service intervals which people have been brain washed into thinking is ok, when in fact it’s insane! Mileage clocking, the numerous owners (as with all modern stuff) in a short space of time etc. Picking out a genuine low owner, strong history car is exhausting work for German stuff.

I service both of mine every 5,000miles. All filters, 2x5l tubs of oil. Then every circa 10k add a g/box fluid change, check over all areas such as hoses, underbody etc. It costs a few quid in parts but anything less is not a service despite what any stupid veils of illusion manufacturer’s suggest. Also with the weight and torque, I only fit proper premium tyres again, which cost a couple of hundred quid each but, come into their own playing a part in safety and comfort.

OP
I

Incubroz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The main big bill to my knowledge is the oil cooler seals. I’ve seen a few mention failing rear sub frames. The turbo inlet seals should be a service item. I also think injector/seals can cause issues, although I’ve not experienced this myself. They are heavy on brakes and suspension and even though items may not be picked up on MOTs, doesn’t mean they are not worn. The 3.0ltr v6 diesel is a tried and tested work horse.

My main issue with buying these (and other modern stuff) is the stupid extended service intervals which people have been brain washed into thinking is ok, when in fact it’s insane! Mileage clocking, the numerous owners (as with all modern stuff) in a short space of time etc. Picking out a genuine low owner, strong history car is exhausting work for German stuff.

I service both of mine every 5,000miles. All filters, 2x5l tubs of oil. Then every circa 10k add a g/box fluid change, check over all areas such as hoses, underbody etc. It costs a few quid in parts but anything less is not a service despite what any stupid veils of illusion manufacturer’s suggest. Also with the weight and torque, I only fit proper premium tyres again, which cost a couple of hundred quid each but, come into their own playing a part in safety and comfort.

Thanks for the details advice, that all makes sense.
As for tyres, that’s something that I never scrimp on, regardless of the car. It baffles me when I see people driving expensive cars with budgets brand tyres. Maybe they’ve blown too much money on the car and struggle to afford better but I suspect most just don’t appreciate the difference that tyres make.
Even on this crappy 100hp DS3, I’ve fitted Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6s to the front because I know from experience that they grip like s*** to a blanket, even in the wet.

Last edited:

Wombat457

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 E350 3.5ltr V6
@Incubroz

As with almost any high end luxury vehicle the cost of mainting them is going to be higher than a "standard vehicle". To be blunt, at least here in the US, if you own a Merc there is the attitude of "- well he/she can afford to pay more for everything - ". IF you are foolish enough to use Mercedes Stealerships, then you will be royally ripped of.

I have a "real mechanic" who works on my E350 3.5ltr and I have found that the cost of proper maintenance isn't that much more than what I pay for my Nissan or for my crap (and ex) Cadillac. For example, the cost of my services are about $70 more, every 5000 miles.

In terms of replacing things such as brakes etc, it depends on what you use. If you use OEM parts then you will pay more because they are Mercedes. There are just as good non OEM parts that can be used for better prices and that are just as good - they just don't have a MB price tag :)

At the end of the day though - if you adopt the attitude of I own a Merc then I will pay more for the luxury and the benefit of owning a very reliable, solid, quality car, you will do okay just steer clear of MB Dealerships ;)

OP
I

Incubroz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
@Incubroz

As with almost any high end luxury vehicle the cost of mainting them is going to be higher than a "standard vehicle". To be blunt, at least here in the US, if you own a Merc there is the attitude of "- well he/she can afford to pay more for everything - ". IF you are foolish enough to use Mercedes Stealerships, then you will be royally ripped of.

I have a "real mechanic" who works on my E350 3.5ltr and I have found that the cost of proper maintenance isn't that much more than what I pay for my Nissan or for my crap (and ex) Cadillac. For example, the cost of my services are about $70 more, every 5000 miles.

In terms of replacing things such as brakes etc, it depends on what you use. If you use OEM parts then you will pay more because they are Mercedes. There are just as good non OEM parts that can be used for better prices and that are just as good - they just don't have a MB price tag :)

At the end of the day though - if you adopt the attitude of I own a Merc then I will pay more for the luxury and the benefit of owning a very reliable, solid, quality car, you will do okay just steer clear of MB Dealerships ;)

Makes sense, thanks you.
As mentioned previously, I don’t hold main dealers in very high regard anyway, so wouldn’t be keen on paying over the odds purely for the prestige of using them or because I’m under the illusion that they’d be doing something special.
I’m more than happy to use an independent mechanic or, depending on the job I don’t mind getting my hands dirty either. That’s not to say I’m too poor or tight to pay out (which would, of course make you question my desire to go for a Merc), it’s more a reluctance to get ripped off for ‘routine’ work.
As an example, in the past I’ve generally changed my own brakes because I’d rather save on labour costs and put that money towards buying higher quality discs and pads.
If a car needs a new clutch, however, I’m heading to a garage!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Makes sense, thanks you.
As mentioned previously, I don’t hold main dealers in very high regard anyway, so wouldn’t be keen on paying over the odds purely for the prestige of using them or because I’m under the illusion that they’d be doing something special.
I’m more than happy to use an independent mechanic or, depending on the job I don’t mind getting my hands dirty either. That’s not to say I’m too poor or tight to pay out (which would, of course make you question my desire to go for a Merc), it’s more a reluctance to get ripped off for ‘routine’ work.
As an example, in the past I’ve generally changed my own brakes because I’d rather save on labour costs and put that money towards buying higher quality discs and pads.
If a car needs a new clutch, however, I’m heading to a garage!

If a car needs a new “Clutch” it’s not a Mercedes you want to be driving…;):p

Wombat457

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 E350 3.5ltr V6
I should have added this as an "equalizer" and to show absolute fairness. The rod that adjusts the butterfly's in the intake manifold broke, apparently not an uncommon thing, anyway my mechanic searched around for a new Intake Manifold and discovered that the OEM Mercedes manifold was the cheapest to be found. Suprised the you know what out of me too! :)

I guess what I am saying is this - while Mercedes OEM Parts will generally be more expensive, it does pay to do some research and searching when it comes to replacement parts,

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom