noisey drivetrain 312d

maxi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sprinter 312d
hi guys im new here so please take it easy on me:D
i have a 98 sprinter 312d with 130k on the clock.
im was getting a slight rattle coming from the drivetrain somewhere which sounded to me like something high tensile metal sounding if you get my drift?
this noise has got slightly worse with an added vibration? the noise mainly happens after you release the clutch and just start to accelerate but then quietens when the revs increase. allways at low revs when power being taken up.
now the clutch has allways seemed to be ok but when its cold going from first to second is hard and a little tough from second to third but when it warms up its not to bad. ijust put that down to the gearbox being a bit agricultural?
i have had someone look at the props and check the prop bearings and they appear to be ok (in his opinion).
i have heard alot about the flywheel causing alot of issues but am not sure what im listening for to confirm this.
any help would be much appreciated.:cool:

GEORGEROV

Reaction score
Hi maxi you did mention the flywheel and a nasty thought about dual mass flywheels comes to mind . But were they used as early as this ? . That rattle you say you were getting . If the DMF is faulty then this rattle would be more noticeable when the engine is switched on or switched off . The increase in vibration sounds ominous as well as the purpose of a DMF is to cut down on vibration in the drivetrain .

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom