Noisy fuel pump?

Pipemaster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 R230 / 2006 / 3500
I have noticed on the 129 that the noise from fuel pump seems to have become more intrusive i.e. louder. I am assuming it is the fuel pump as it only is present when the engine is running and comes from behind me. It is the same if the tank is full or empty. The hard top is on.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to reduce the noise or if this is a sign that the pump is on it's way out is it a straightforward job to replace?

Cheers

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have noticed on the 129 that the noise from fuel pump seems to have become more intrusive i.e. louder. I am assuming it is the fuel pump as it only is present when the engine is running and comes from behind me. It is the same if the tank is full or empty. The hard top is on.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to reduce the noise or if this is a sign that the pump is on it's way out is it a straightforward job to replace?

Cheers

Something always forgotten is the in line fuel filter could cause the pump to labour, other than that, do check that nothing is touching the fuel lines or pump

There should be a plastic panel to keep the dirt off the assembly .

malcolm

type49

Reaction score
If it's the type held with a jubilee clip, make sure it's not too tightly clamping the body of the pump (only thin alloy). I'd also be tempted to change the filter anyway, as Malc suggests.

OP
Pipemaster

Pipemaster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 R230 / 2006 / 3500
Do you know do I get to the pump? I can see a fuel filter under the bonnet

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom