NOt car related at all Tech advice help

maldon

Reaction score
My Mrs is doing her conkers, we've been egged twice in the last couple of weeks. Being the relaxed woman that she is, she 'just wants to sell the house' (this is the place that she did the deal on, took 9 months to complete - and we made an absolute killing on - she loves the houe to bits.)

Am thinking CCTV on the corner of the front of the house, this will cover the entrance to the drive and with any luck, we will be able to see who is doing it (we have a very strong idea - but no proff.)

Can I buy a wireless cam and say have it feed onto the hard drive of the server we have at home?

If such gear exists, do we have any ideas as to how much money I am going to have to chuck at this little number?

Thanks for any guidance.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
get on to Maplins website and have a shufti

you might also want to have a look at any data protection issues it might raise ( I'm sure it raises some, but I can't remember what they are)

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I don't profess to be an expert but there are lots of options available. For an idea, have a quick look at Maplin's site.
They do a cctv card for a PC for £130 though this is a 4 channel and Maplin aren't the cheapest so this could probably be reduced.
Then for a camera, they do a wireless night and day unit for £150.
A general hunt on ebay etc and google should bring up some reasonable kits.

OP
M

maldon

Reaction score
I've just gone into Jim Royle mode: Data protection my ......

Thanks for the tips.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
maldon said:
I've just gone into Jim Royle mode: Data protection my ......

Thanks for the tips.
Have a word with Turnipsock, I was talking to him last night about this, he is well up into this subject, and knows more than most on it

Malcolm

OP
M

maldon

Reaction score
Thanks, Malcom.

So far I've seen a remote cam and receiver - the bit am stuck on is the output from the rcvr onto a hard drive and then from hard drive to screen.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi Maldon,

I've just gone for a D-Link Network IP camera (Misco £60+vat), it comes with pretty decent software which will record to your hard disk and has movement detectors which you can set as well as software to include as many cameras as you can afford. It set up very easliy (1/2hr last night whilst my broadband was down). Nice thing is that it doesn't have to be close to you PC as long as you can get Cat 5 and power to it. You can get IP cameras which power off cat 5 although you will need a switch which accommodates.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
maldon said:
Thanks, Malcom.

So far I've seen a remote cam and receiver - the bit am stuck on is the output from the rcvr onto a hard drive and then from hard drive to screen.

Turnipsock is doing that ok.

Malcolm

thespirit3

Reaction score
Website
www.aruk.org.uk
Also - the 4-input video cards sold by maplins for £lots used to be identical to the cards sold on ebay and shipped direct from china for £not-much-at-all. A wireless (video, not network) camera a year back was £100+ from Maplins, and I picked up an identical model for £15 (inc shipping from taiwan!). I'm not sure if this is still the case though - but always worth checking ebay too ;)

OP
M

maldon

Reaction score
Blobcat - TheSpirit

Thanks for that. Apologies for the sheer ignorance - if I buy the kit Blobby has, what else do I need? Will I need the 4input video card?

We have a server with Raid 2 160GB hard drives it has a wired/less router attached, wired for the office pc's, wireless for my lappyand the kids pc's upstarirs.

Am just wondering how much memory this will eat and whether the software overwrites after a few days (two weeks if we go away on hol?)

How diff would this be to set up and would you suggest wireless or a powered cat5 solution?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi Maldon,

With the D-Link cmaeras you just need spare network points on your router/switch. The software supplied with the cameras works as the switch for the cameras.
I have a wireless netgear ADSL router, connected to a 8 way switch. Plugged into the switch are 5 of my PC's the new camera and a new Netgear SC101 storage device with twin 250G hard disks. I am moving all my photos/music to the SC101 and will probably store the O/P from the cameras there as well. The software is very neat in that you can set how much to record and for how long, use movement detectors to switch the recording on and it will auto delete the older recordings if you are running low on the pre-set (by you) storage space.
This is the camera I have http://www.dlink.co.uk/?go=jN7uAYLx...8Nqtyr2xuRXbrwDACr85YWNvr3qrkPk0RuezbbYOyH9o=
They have some wireless ones as well on their main site.

Last edited:
OP
M

maldon

Reaction score
Thanks, Blobby.

We've a Netgear router with spare ports - so that seems to work.

A silly question (obviously) lets assume 90 mins recording/day and set for say a five day 'loop' - will I have any space left on the HD's?

Am thinking that a Cat5 powered cam is the way to go - as wireless will require power anyway.

Top Bottom