OBDII socket on C220 CD!

Mikimogo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C220 CDI Yr2000 w202 engine 611960 (OM611)
Help!
Does anyone know where the 16 pin Diagnostic socket is inside the cab of the C220 CDI Estate. I have looked everywhere that I have been told by different manuals and cannot find it anywhere.:confused:

duncanh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 520d SE F10, formerly c220cdi estate (for 12.5 years and 345k miles), before that w124 and w210
I have a 2002 C220cdi (W203)

Mine is in the driver's footwell, above the drivers leg, about half way between accelerator pedal and bonnet release.

There is a little sqaure hinged plastic cover over the connector.

Good luck
duncanh

OP
Mikimogo

Mikimogo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OBDII Socket

Hi,
Thanks for the reply but my C220 CDI is a W202 and there is no flap on the under dash cover, I've even had it off and checked underneath.:confused:

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
You don't have a 16pin socket. Its OBDI not II.

Its a 32 pin socket located on the passenger side under a circular cover with a 13mm nut on top.

OP
Mikimogo

Mikimogo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OBDII Socket

Thanks BlackC55,
Is it a 32 pin or 38 pin? I'm pretty sure the socket under the bonnet is a 38 pin. Do you know of any fault code readers that are available that will work with my car without taking out another mortgage, I seem to keep coming up dead ends in my search. I did buy a fault code reader for the C220 but it is OBDII and when I couldn't find a 16 pin socket I bought a adapter cable 16pin to 38pin but it just came up as "err" (wrong protocol used) the ground signal is pin 1 the power pin 3 and the K line was on pin 4 so I resoldered the K line from pin 4 to pin 19 with that being the diagnostic pin on the 38 pin socket but it still comes up with "err". Will that be because of the Code reader being OBDII and the socket being OBD1. I have also just read somewhere among the links that the 38pin is OEBD PO compliant but I've never heard of that one before. Oh and could you tell me what a Multiplexer is as in the WIS/ASRA MB service manual CD program it shows a fault code reader witha Multiplexer for the 38pin OBD socket.
Any advice will be a great help as I don't want to use the car until I've erased the EPC and BAS/ESP fault codes even though I am pretty sure the problems have been fixed when the front end was rebuilt after an accident (by the way the year of the car is 2000).:smile:

Last edited:

Ellsy Tanners

Reaction score
Stop arseing around and take it to a dealer/ indie to erase the faults.

Dont mean to be blunt but all the effort and messing around you are doing must be more than a simple trip out!!!!!!!!

OP
Mikimogo

Mikimogo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Stop arsing about

Hi,
Thanks for your constructive advice but the reason that i have not done the obvious is that the car was in an accident and given a Class C write off, I have rebuilt it but cannot get it taken for the DVLA VIC check until 1st October which means it cannot be taxed because without the VIC certificate I cannot get the V5 to get the road tax. I have obviously tried to find an Indie locally and can only find mobile ones that do ODBII and with a £55 callout which is not much use if they don't do ODBI is it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And I want to get the lights put out in case there is still a problem and the chap that takes it to Derby for the VIC check and charges £100 cannot take it because of the lights (because of the damage that may occur from driving it in a faulty condition therefore would not take it) and I would still have to pay his £100.:confused:

Last edited:

heyamgslk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently? 02 SLK AMG3.2, 03 Sequoia, 01 Protege MP3, 01 Civic LX, 98 Civic EX, 96 Accord EX
OBD Connector on 2002 SLK 32AMG

Similar to this gentleman, I am having trouble locating the OBD port on my wife's SLK. When I looked under the dash, there are several plastic covers enclosing everything under the dash. I do see some type of connector over by the hood release (no cover), but it is not an OBDI or OBDII connector. Any help would be great.... her BAS light has been coming on after long drives, but resets as soon as you turn the key off.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Similar to this gentleman, I am having trouble locating the OBD port on my wife's SLK. When I looked under the dash, there are several plastic covers enclosing everything under the dash. I do see some type of connector over by the hood release (no cover), but it is not an OBDI or OBDII connector. Any help would be great.... her BAS light has been coming on after long drives, but resets as soon as you turn the key off.

A 2002 car has it under the dash

OP
Mikimogo

Mikimogo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BAS Light comes on

Hello there.
Just a thought! when the BAS light comes on try (while stationary with the engine running) turn the steering wheel full left hand lock to full right hand lock twice, don't hold it in the full lock position do it all in one motion. This may clear it.

Top Bottom