Oddities of car insurance

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I've just received my invitation to renew my CLK220 policy with Hastings. Couldn't believe it's over £100 less than last year. Less that is ! No change in NCD or anything else from last year, so go figure. I usually call them to encourage them to lower their offer but I'm afraid to call this year in case they want to put it up.

Mine has gone up over £180 with Hastings.

Just went on Moneysupermarket and the lowest quote was Churchill under half my renewal quote with Hastings, it's due on the 24th Sept

The quote from Hastings on MS was nearly the same as my renewal quote

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A friend of mine has just gone from a BMW X3 M40i to a X3 M40i Competition and his insurance went down by £20

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
A friend of mine has just gone from a BMW X3 M40i to a X3 M40i Competition and his insurance went down by £20
I have just gone from a Suffolk provincial town to central Norwich (NR1) and mine went down £21…….:oops:

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
>>>Just went on Moneysupermarket and the lowest quote was Churchill under half my renewel quote

Been with Churchill about three years and competitive so far even on renewal. When I Unmerc'd the main car three weeks ago the yearly drop from Viano V6 to S-Max four pot was around a £100 saving which seemed OK. Just had an email in to say they miscalculated and are refunding me £60. Now that is an insurance oddity.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
>>>Just went on Moneysupermarket and the lowest quote was Churchill under half my renewel quote

Been with Churchill about three years and competitive so far even on renewal. When I Unmerc'd the main car three weeks ago the yearly drop from Viano V6 to S-Max four pot was around a £100 saving which seemed OK. Just had an email in to say they miscalculated and are refunding me £60. Now that is an insurance oddity.

Same here!!!!! Churchill were by far and away the cheapest with what I want on a policy

Rockron

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
709D/1990/OM364
Mmmm, Debateable :rolleyes::)

The UK’s most stolen cars​

• Range Rover Sport
  • Range Rover Autobiography
  • Land Rover Discovery
  • Range Rover Vogue
  • BMW X5
  • Range Rover Evoque
  • Mercedes-Benz E-Class
  • Land Rover Defender, Mercedes-Benz S-Class, BMW X 6, Mercedes-Benz GL
  • Audi A4 and Mercedes-Benz C-Class
  • Mercedes-Benz GLC, BMW M3, Audi Q7

List should be inverted, but proves that car thieves have no aesthetic sense, and a disregard for vehicle reliability review advice, thus unnecessarily limiting their chances of actually getting away with the motor,......... thick scrotes :rolleyes:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Perhaps it's more exciting to steal a RR and if you get it away clearly a ready market for the dodgy parts.

Where do Lexus appear?

moj91

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d-T, W204 C250CDI-T, W220 S320CDI (AMG Kit), W168 A170CDI, W210&W124 OM606...
List should be inverted, but proves that car thieves have no aesthetic sense, and a disregard for vehicle reliability review advice, thus unnecessarily limiting their chances of actually getting away with the motor,......... thick scrotes :rolleyes:
This probably explains why my insurance has gone up from £550 to £1700 on renewal on my E400d. Only changes are one extra year NCB. I can't get it down below £1200 PA with a 'cheap' policy, still over a 100% increase which isn't well timed. Probably another reason to get rid...

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Somehow the market is cooperating to bring in across the board price increases.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
I have to admit I though hot hatches would also have been on the list like the S3, Golf R etc.

Funny about quotes. This time last year I called my insurance company up and renewed existing cars and got quotes on a replacement for one of them (which is now my s350).

Existing Volvo’s usually went up £10 p.year. This year they held where they were with my premium being circa £300 a piece on each of the 4 cars.

Replacement quotes;

CLS 63 shooting brake £530
BMW M5 f10 £567
S350/S63 £340
Porsche Cayenne Turbo £ 1700. (We are not competitive on Porsches sir)

On the plus side my motorbike insurance is down from £250 to £130 without even shopping around and yet that’s even more likely to be stolen than all those cars on the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
>>>Been with Churchill about three years and competitive so far even on renewal

Well that's what I said 5mths ago but...

Renewal on the unmerc due now. Slight fly in the ointment we had an attempted scam** against us 3mths ago from when my wife was using the car and Churchill put it down as a possible claim leaving it on 90 days when it would clear if there was no actual claim... and there wasn't.

But on the renewal quote sent out a month ahead it still showed as a claim.... renewal was £302 which was about 20% up on what I could get elsewhere and I assumed the claim was doing that. After a couple of calls to them they agreed the claim would be removed and said to get an updated quote from renewals dept. The girl ran the quote again and removing the claim put the premium up £22 to £324. Talk about working in mysterious ways! Anyway I was offered a 10% loyalty discount to stay so it came out at £289 in the end and I took that for the simplicity of staying with them.

The strangest thing though... this is for an 8yr old Ford S-Max 2.0TDCi... had I kept the Viano 3.0CDi the quote was £216.... and as a comparison wife's CLK is due soon and has come through at £202.

**The scam attempt was interesting. Wife parked the S-Max on a residential street in town. When she returned to it 30mins later a guy was standing by our car shouting at her in a very assertive way pointing to his Mini which was touching our car back bumper to back bumper. He claimed my wife had reversed into his car and damaged it. That absolutely hadn't happened. My wife pulled forward a little and took photos... there was not a mark on either car but he overwhelmed her with aggressive near shouting into giving him her details but then refused to give her his. Then his wife appeared from nowhere claiming to be a witness. He kept saying you won't want to go through insurance I'll phone with a quote and you can pay me. I phoned it though to Churchill as an information only notification and they checked to find his car was uninsured and not MOT'd. Later that day he phoned us with a claim for £500 cash for repairs. Knowing he had no insurance I just kept repeating put the claim through your insurance and they'll sort it with our company. He became ever more squeaky claiming to do so would ruin our no claims and cost us in the long run...eventually I put the phone down and since then we've heard no more. Not pleasant for my wife who was extra distracted and worried having my 91yr old mum with her.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Last shock I had sl600 r230 198 a Yr. Grand fully comp
Ml250 BT 380 for same cover!
Made much better by 90 quid for 10k declared value ngtf 1800 on 5k miles and fully comp.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Morale of story. Buy older motors. No tax, no mot, cheap inss and could well go up in value.. The exact opposite of any modern car..........

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
Morale of story. Buy older motors. No tax, no mot, cheap inss and could well go up in value.
That is all very well but it is not practical for the vast majority of us to own a 40+ year old vehicle as our only means of personal transport.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That is all very well but it is not practical for the vast majority of us to own a 40+ year old vehicle as our only means of personal transport.
Not if Yr travelling long distances. That being the case, stop at euro 4.run it till It dies that's best value motoring, changing before just costs you ££££. I ran my clk w208 20 yrs my a class 21 yrs clk was 16k when I bought it aclass 3.,500 I think that's economic motoring, nothing serious on either and I did all service, repairs myself r230 v doz was 18500 when I bought it and that's what I got for it 6 Yr later(it was mint) less cost of 1 pipe 90 quid and one hood lining 100. And 1 battery 90 quid. And many star hrs.
The latest the ml 250 will be a kick in teeth if I sell , but likely same if I keep it. If I do I will be doing adblu and egr delete.as soon as any real issue comes up. DPF I can live with as costs will likely come down.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
I was onto Admiral the other to add something to my policy... Used 1 years NCB from a car and was quoted ~765 .. then I remembered there was another car with 3years NCB that I had off the road, so I used that .. then the quote went up to ~840.

Even the person on the phone couldn't explain why.

I mean, where do you go from there?

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I was onto Admiral the other to add something to my policy... Used 1 years NCB from a car and was quoted ~765 .. then I remembered there was another car with 3years NCB that I had off the road, so I used that .. then the quote went up to ~840.

Even the person on the phone couldn't explain why.

I mean, where do you go from there?
I had a similar thing with Direct Line.
£430 a year for the Shooting Brake that I sold. They wanted over £800 for the 1.6 Focus I've bought as a runaround! :oops::shock:

poor1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180
I have a 2.2 Honda Civic. At renewal recently first quote was #720. Rang them and simply said Can you do any better and it was immediately reduced by #120.00. When the paperwork arrived I noticed I was covered for commuting (I'm retired). Rang the insuraers again and the operator deleted commuting an told me that the premium was not changed as a result. Pointed out the enormous risk the insurer was expiosed to compared with a basic social, domestic and pleasure policy made the operator look again and reduced the premium by a further #120.00. Sorry pound sign is not working. Stroke of several pens reduced the premium by #250.00.
Recently had a quote for an A180 which came up at #1300.00 which immediately reduced my interest in such a vehicle.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
Car insurance is a funny old game...it is person specific and there are so many variables that it is virtually impossible to compare what different people pay.
Contrary to what most believe the value of a vehicle plays only a very small part in how the premium is calculated.
Take my CLA 35 that I have just sold...bought brand new in November 2021 at a cost of just under £45k and my current premium was £275.
I have a runabout now in the meantime - 2014 Corsa 1.4 worth just about nothing and the premium for that is £217.

poor1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180
The only saving Grace as far as ii am concerned is that the Excise licence is only £20 PA. I recently had an Audi TY 200 BHP and the insurance was around the £400 mark. No rhyme or reason !

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom