Oil Grade Used in "B" Service

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
On reading my copy of the service sheet for the "B" service my car received last week (under a Service-Plus contract) I see;

Oil Type: MB 229.5 Customer choice

I certainly didn't state a preference, I don't know what MB 229.5 type is!
confused.gif
Could someone enlighten me? I have read the "sticky" on oil labelling and see I have not been given the most up-to-date spec. Should this be a concern for me?

Ellsy Tanners

Reaction score
Dont worry, 229.5 is the highest grade oil you can get. it will be a fully synthtic oil such as mobil 1 or castrol gtx magnetic.
229.3 would be a semi synthetic,
and 229.31 is the low ash oil for deisels with particulate fiters which yours wont have.
Providing they have put in wot they say they have, you've got the best stuff!!

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Dont worry, 229.5 is the highest grade oil you can get. it will be a fully synthtic oil such as ..... or castrol gtx magnetic.
Castrol GTX Magnatec is a mineral oil to MB229.1
Castrol SLX Longtec is fully synth to MB229.5

A lot of people think Magnatec is synthetic, probably because it says synthetic engineering on the can. They got taken to court in the US about this, and won, because the oil has some synthetic additives, or something.

Edted to add:
I just looked at Castrol's website and looks like they've had a renaming exercise:

GTX Magnatec has been separated into two products - there's Castrol Magnatec and Castrol GTX, but they're both mineral oil to 229.1.

Castrol's fully synth 229.5 oil used to be called Castrol SLX Longtec, but is now Castrol Edge.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Castrol GTX Magnatec is a mineral oil to MB229.1

(I think they've separated the names now into two products - there's Castrol Magnatec and Castrol GTX, but they're both mineral oil to 229.1).

I thought the same once, until I was corrected here, Rory has posted my thoughts on the subject

OP
whitenemesis

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Thanks for the reassurance guys :p:p

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom