Oil in EGR Valve (w163) 270 ML

ldare

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 270ML Inspiration / 2007 R320 Sport
Hi
I have quite a bit of oil building up in my EGR value on my 2003 270ML. I dont think the oil is coming from recycled air as that pipe is dry, but it's wet in the boost pipe. and wet in the plastic exhaust intake so i can't at this stage tell where its coming from, only where it seems to be building up.

Some forum post say its ok to have some. oil, this to me is quite a lot.

I have changed the oil / air separator a week ago as some forum posts recommended that that I haven't seen a reduction in the oil build up. I am keeping an eye by unclipping the boost pipe and mopping up all the oild in the boost pipe and egr.

Any ideas what to check?

Kind Regards
Louis

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
It isn't all oil. Plenty of water and combustion residues too. It is quite normal. Some even go to lengths of fitting a catch tank. Unless you are using more oil than normal, I'd suggest you ignore the fluid buildup. Unfortunately it does combine with the EGR gases and turns into a really mongrel crud that blocks everything up. Only real alternatives are an oil catch tank or delete the egr electronically.

Ian.

OP
L

ldare

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 270ML Inspiration / 2007 R320 Sport
It isn't all oil. Plenty of water and combustion residues too. It is quite normal. Some even go to lengths of fitting a catch tank. Unless you are using more oil than normal, I'd suggest you ignore the fluid buildup. Unfortunately it does combine with the EGR gases and turns into a really mongrel crud that blocks everything up. Only real alternatives are an oil catch tank or delete the egr electronically.

Ian.

Hi Ian
Thanks for your reply. I have an awful lot of this liquid all over the engine bay and drive as a result of a failing seal inbetween the EGR and Exhaust manifold. My worry is when I put it back together with a new seal will this liquid now build up as I've closed off the route it found to escape?

Also, I may be wrong, but has the seal failed due to the affect of the oily substance building up, possibly quite hot and causing the seal to perish?

Thanks
Lou

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
As I said Lou, this is quite common. A new seal, properly installed will fix it. The seal is designed to not be affected by the oily stuff. Maybe you should check the operation of your PCV oil separator too as they can allow too much oil to pass. The oily fluid will find its way into the inlet system and get burnt in the combustion process. Can build up in the intercooler. It is a mongrel system when combined with the EGR for sure.

Ian.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom