Ordering new SLK280 - any tips

klnc

Reaction score
Hi all.... First post to the forum - been browsing it for last few days and seems very informative.

Got test drive on saturday and almost certainly order straight after... Here's the spec I;m going for:

SLK 280
Manual
Obsidian Black
Leather (not sure which colour)
Air scarf
bi-xenon lamps
17" alloys (607)
tyre pressure loss indicator

Possibles:
Logic7 - does it sound much better? Is there any way to plug in an ipod?
Electric seats
Phone pre-wire - how does this work with bluetooth?
Remote roof

Are there any other extras I'm criminally overlooking (auto aside!)? Not going for sports suspension (too firm) or folding mirrors.

Also, although I;m not expecting a discount, any tips I should know about for getting them to through in a few things - transparent wind deflector and mats seem to be the most people can expect? Or just get good value for our trade in - top end of what the mags say?

Let you know how the test drive goes.

thanks.

ps - 2 dealers didn't even bother to return my calls when i wanted to speak to someone in sales about a test drive - do they not want my £35k?!?

Last edited:

cnjohnson71

Reaction score
Definately go for the Phone Pre Wire. We have it in both of our cars and is very good. It isn't a bluetooth system like BMW's, but I don't see why that would be a problem.

I am trying an SLK next month and although officially there is no discount, my dealer has promised something will be done. Im going to go for Red Leather if I like the drive.

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
dont bother with the trye loss warning. its not very good. it will activate under hard driving, save your £50. it works on an optical sensor not a pressure sensore. it just looks at your wheels.

I have just saved £600 on a new slk 280 by not bothering with metallic black. side by side solid black is almost the same.

Personnaly I wouldn't bother with bi-zenons either. the corner light function is pointless and standard lights are okay but obviuosly not as bright as zenons. they only make a difference in unlit areas on this type of car.

I have ordered the auto. and the harmon kardon logic7. yes it does sound better but the standard is good. you plug an ipod into the socket in the glovebox and use the cars speakers.

Pre-wire is good if you can make sure the phone cradle suits your mobile.

The blue tooth allows you to take personal calls so the person sat next to you cannot hear as long as you have a blue tooth headset.. otherwise it uses the cars speakers. the phone is hid in the center armrest.

electric seats are pointless unless you are sharing your driving regular and you have totally different positions. then it is useful.

if you are having leather, i would recommend you get the heated seats. if you ever leave the car out and its freezing outside you will really know. the padding on the seats is minimal and the cold goes right thru. and in autumn winter, and nights, it is nice when you drop the roof and drive around, you feel warm. but if you never take the car out in the cold then its up to you.

i have dusky red leather in the slinkymobile but i am bored with it, i liked it at first but i feel the novelty has worn off. the alpaca grey is what i have ordered.

and dont be tempted to add sports suspening if you re-arrange things.. it just makes the ride firmer. doesnt really improve things other than looks. and even then not by much.

I would have said get COMAND. it is excellant. pricy tho. and the cd changer does take up glovebox space but i have it. i dont like changing disks when driving.

OP
K

klnc

Reaction score
Joe,

Thanks for the response...

Had the test drive this afternoon and it did change my mind in a few areas.... Gone are the xenons, the air scarf and manual gearbox, in are electric seats, heated seats and the wonderful 7G auto...

There will be 2 main drivers, so we can't be spending 5 minutes optimising the driving position every time one of us gets in the car. Xenons - the dealer told us to spend the money on something we'd enjoy more. Also said the heated seats were better than the air scarf, which I would have to agree with - my wife said she just had warm air blowing on her head, which she found distracting. Probably won't be driving around open top in 2 deg c anyway, but heated seats are always welcome.

Being a demo car, it had all the frills.... was seriously taken with COMAND - very impressive looking and fancy the ipod integration to boot, but not sure i can justify £2k just for an ipod input. I live in central london, and don't drive other than for pleasure, so sat nav seemed completely unnecessary. Ditto phone prep - was given a good demo, and hate to have redundant functionality on the stearing wheel, but i wont be spending enough time in the car to justify it - and we both have different mobiles! One thing he did say was that the Audio 20 could be tweaked (not by MB) to provide an AUX input, which sounds perfect for an ipod in the glove (no cd autochanger).

Drive itself was fantastic - 280 engine is perfect for the car. surprise was how much i liked the auto gearbox. never had one before, but very responsive. didn't use the buttons on the stearing wheel (are they standard on the auto gearbox?), but auto is brilliant - and must be good for residuals.

Dithered a lot over colour.... went out in obsidian black with black leather - looked the nuts when we pulled out. Current choice is erring on iridium with black leather, or obsidian with black leather. Had a peak through the window at black (not sure if obsidian or not) with dusky red leather, and wasn't taken with the look. The brochure has loads of fantastic pictures of silver with "red", but didn't like the dusky red up close. Beige was an option, but wasn;t convinced.

Offered £500 off, with mats, but didn;t sign on the dotted, will call back tomorrow and get out the credit card if he'll knock a few more quid off the price.

let you know how i go! Thanks again

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
i would get the airscarf.

it really is good and compliments the heated seats. Honest. mind, i am a baldy but i think it works really well. especially with just 2 red lights on.

point taken about COMAND and the phone pre wire. all sensible stuff.

the buttons for the gear changes are only with 7gtronic. not the 5sp auto. but you dont have that option. the 7g comes as an option only on the 280 and 350. not the 200.

sounds like you need leccy seats. you could go the whole hog and have a heated steering wheel too.

I like black but to be honest...maybes you could get the tellur silver or whatever it is. it really looks good in that coluor. there are loads near me with it in that colour. I even got a wave from a girlie in one today. I am still ordeing black tho.

500 off and mats is good. see if you can get the tracker fitted for free. you probably wont but you mite get it half price.

dont bother with Merc arranged GAP insurance if you decided you want that. do a internet search and you can pick up £25000 cover for £350 with other companies and you will only need £15000 cover anyway.

and Independant mobile valets will do an Autoglym life shine for £150 so only pay the dealer £150 if he offers you it for £299. or get a valet to do it.

You could actually ask to see if any build orders are going through but havent been sold yet. one may meet your spec and give you the seat colour descions too. and you will pick it up before end of sept or oct. Mine should be here around November but I had to choose a spec that nobody else had so its all mine.

when you get it, get some piccies and post on here.

good luck 2moro. altho i may be tempted to hang on till next weekend. end of the month, maybe willing to go that bit extra for you.

OP
K

klnc

Reaction score
sorry if i didn't make it clear, i am ordering the 280, so 7g is the auto option... was just asking whether the stearing wheel had the gear change paddles as standard if you had auto..

re air scarf, all down to personal preference of course, but don't think you need both and dealer talked us out of it and into heated seats... air scarf didn't do a great job of selling itself today, but the weather was quite warm!

Will check on cancelled orders, but another couple of months of saving wouldn't do me any harm. Also, after the crap offer he made for my car, decided it was in my best interests to sell it privately.

views on black exterior and black interior? as said probably going silver and black, although it's the same as current car!

not fussed about tracker, but another 250 off would make me get my pen out...

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
you did make it clear. it was my inane rambeling that threw you.

the steering buttons only come with 7g. the 5sp auto has tip funtion on gearshift lever but no wheel buttons. and yes they are standard.

Personal preference is okay by me. I do think the car is too blackish inside to have black leather as well but again it is down to what you like. Dusky red soon wears off on your taste. and it shows the dirt too altho it is easy to clean.

does your insurance not require a tracker?

merc dealers offer crap as part ex's i notice.

blassberg

Reaction score
klnc said:
not sure i can justify £2k just for an ipod input.

and we both have different mobiles!

the Audio 20 could be tweaked (not by MB) to provide an AUX input,

Offered £500 off, with mats

ok - listen good

1) ipod integration kit is awesome and 225+VAT. You DO NOT NEED COMAND
2) aux input in glovebox is standard. You DO NOT NEED TO TWEAK AUDIO20
3) I got nearly twice that discount with mats
4) If one of your mobiles has bluetooth and one of them is a Nokia then go for the CK7W car kit. The non bluetooth in the holder and the bluetooth attached via....bluetooth - AT THE SAME TIME or on their own.

BTW we took airscarf and heated seats. Considered that a winter test drive would be more convincing for the airscarf.

Enjoy!

blassberg

Reaction score
SLinKyjoe said:
the steering buttons only come with 7g. the 5sp auto has tip funtion on gearshift lever but no wheel buttons. and yes they are standard.

SLinKs,
Not sure if i have read what you have written....Do you mean the buttons are std with 7G on an SLK? I didn't think so. Think they are a £170ish option. Maybe you meant tip was standard on 5spd?

BTW 7G is just over £1k on the C Class and more expensive on the SLK. Dunno why. Maybe as buttons included but a lot more than £170 (C-Class Buttons option 428 ) more expensive.

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
blassberg said:
SLinKs,
Not sure if i have read what you have written....Do you mean the buttons are std with 7G on an SLK? I didn't think so. Think they are a £170ish option. Maybe you meant tip was standard on 5spd?

BTW 7G is just over £1k on the C Class and more expensive on the SLK. Dunno why. Maybe as buttons included but a lot more than £170 (C-Class Buttons option 428 ) more expensive.

the 7g is £1790 i think, and it does come with the buttons all in on the SLK 280 and 350. the 200 unfortunatly only has the 5ps auto which doesnt have the buttons. shame as the 7g tronic would make a difference.

All the auto's in SLK have the tip function on the gearshift as well. on the 7g the button selectors will select up and down irrespective of whether C/S/M is selected on the gearbox but when in M the gear selected can only be changed by the buttons, as it disables the auto function......that is till you get into 7th then cruise up to a stop, select nothing and the gearbox selects first for you, so as you can pull away. but at 31MPH you hit the rev limiter and that reminds to to select another gear.

OP
K

klnc

Reaction score
blassberg said:
ok - listen good

1) ipod integration kit is awesome and 225+VAT. You DO NOT NEED COMAND
2) aux input in glovebox is standard. You DO NOT NEED TO TWEAK AUDIO20
3) I got nearly twice that discount with mats
4) If one of your mobiles has bluetooth and one of them is a Nokia then go for the CK7W car kit. The non bluetooth in the holder and the bluetooth attached via....bluetooth - AT THE SAME TIME or on their own.

BTW we took airscarf and heated seats. Considered that a winter test drive would be more convincing for the airscarf.

Enjoy!

That you don't need COMAND for the ipod cheers me up considerably - certainly wasn't going to spend £2k just to have integrated. This is still installed by the dealer though isn't it? Also good news on AUX, but less important if can now have ipod integration.

Re discount - have said another £500 off will close the deal. He's talking to his manager. Alternative might be to have metallic paint deducted from price.

See how we go.

Tony

Reaction score
I was going to congratulate you on selecting the pick of the new SLK range - a 280 manual - but I see you've gone for the auto. Did you try the manual version or was there none available as usual? Merc dealers regard the manual box as a way of lowering the list price. They rarely have any in stock.

OP
K

klnc

Reaction score
you're right they did only have an auto, but we were both so taken with it, it seemed churlish to refuse! I supppose once you've had an auto, you probably won't ever go back either.... turning point in my life!

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
There is no point banging on about why you have or have not choosen the auto now that you have ordered. the car you have ordered is fantastic with an auto and you will enjoy it. in fact so will everyone else who ordered an auto.

however, those who have ordered a manual, how many of them will tell you thier arms bang the seat side bolster everytime they change into 2nd or 4th or 6th and also everytime they go for the gearshift to come out of these gears?

the only fault i have with the seats is the size of the side suport. it is this which causes the above problem. mind you, as you have an auto you wont notice.

go drive a manual and prove me wrong!!!!

Tony

Reaction score
If I were in the market for a new SLK, which I'm not, I think it would be very difficult to find a demonstrator with a manual box. In the case of most Mercs this would be understandable because very few of them have any sporting pretensions - too big, too heavy, too soft - but the SLK is the nearest thing they've got to a sports car. What qualifies a car to be called a sports car is a debatable thing and there aren't many hard and fast rules. However, and sorry to have to tell you this, sports cars do NOT have slush pumps, full stop. SMG, DSG, electrically operated clutch, etc, are fine - but the torque converter is a no-no. So the dealers should stock a manual demonstrator.

I personally wouldn't buy another Mercedes because of many factors - bad dealers, sky high servicing costs, poor reliability, shoddy finish, I could go on. These cars aren't even fully galvanised, so they start rusting after a few years. But even apart from this, they don't make a car I want to buy. The SLK is the nearest, and the 280 is sensible combination of reasonable power and economy with a great V6, but the styling ??? The back's good. The front is less bad now than I initially thought, though it's still a bit naff. But the real problem is in between. The side view is very strange and reminiscent of the TR7 or even the old Tigra - what's with the rake, and the bottom of the side windows being much lower than the bottom of the windscreen. Not good. They seem to look best in black which covers up a lot of the styling gaffs. All the new Merc models seem to look worse than the previous, nowadays - the new CLK, the new S-Class, yuk! The CLS is completely barking, but possibly so barking that it's nearly good.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
As we're off subject - sure a 'true' sports car is a manual. Then again, who wants a true sports car?? I guess one definition would be the Lotus elan, - stripped out, rock hard suspension and really good on a track. Unfortunatley 99% of travel is over pot holed roads, past speed cameras and in heavy traffic, with the occasional blast on those rare opportunities. So for the privelige of that rare blast, apart from the frequent osteopath visits from the solid suspension, you have to pump a pedal and move lever 20 times per mile. Most driving is done trundling down motorways in 5th so it makes no difference, or else In traffic, where you are either constantly swapping between 1st and 2nd or else burning the clutch to get a smooth take-off in 2nd. Tiring and damn boring IMHO.

I hear this often. "Manuals are for real drivers"....Sorry but that's Boll.x!
Manuals are for people who haven't driven a proper auto! I've driven some lovely cars, totally spoiled by the fact that they have a manual box.

I do partially agree on some of the styling though. Personally I think the new SLK looks a bit small but its pretty, the clk maybe a bit soft - can't make my mind up, the current E is a vast improvement on mine, especially with 17'' twin spoke alloys and avantgarde suspension (want one!), but the CLS looks like the pink panther mobile! - it's all in the eye of the beholder!

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
just remembered, I am going for a test drive in an SLK55AMG on Monday. so no doubt my funeral will be on Friday next week. That come with a auto too.

john_boy

Reaction score
Slk

Hi KlNC,

Just my tenpenny worth.....

Don't go for the manual - it will affect the resale value of your car - This car, like most Mercs is designed to be an auto. Plus the 7 G gearbox is ****** sensational !

Currently, i have a C32 AMG (auto) and a SLK 350 (auto),

Both cars deliver the power smoothly and swiftly - having driven manual cars for over 25 years, i can honestly say, i wouldn't have a manual car again !

Get stuck in rush hour traffic and say that manual's are the best ! - if its out and out performance you want - you are probably on the wrong site (try the Evo or Sti owner's site !!).

if you go for black (as i did) it is well worth paying the extra for metallic - there is hardly any diference in the look - but you'll notice the diference when you come to clean it !! - metallic black cars are much much easier to clean than "flat" black one's. Whilst silver is ok - the market is flooded with silver SLK's....

Interior leather - i went for black as i felt it would bea easier to keep clean and it most certainly isnt "dark" in the cabin - red is Ok but may not bee to everyone's taste...

I've got the command with Logik 7 and multi CD and whilst it's expensive, the sound quality is sensational and the sat nav is useful and again these extra's will make the car more desireable when you come to sell it (there are plenty of "low spec" cars around now).

I'd reccomend the sports suspension - whilst the car is never going to go round bends as quickly as a boxster, it certainly does sharpen the handling up somewhat.

Also, i'd go for the air scarf's - you can drive the car with the roof down on any sunny day, even if its ****** freezing.....

Parktronic is useful in protecting your investment...

Key roof is very useful and a pose (!) and at £90 its not too expensive.

That said, its very easy to talk yourself into extra after extra and before you know it, you've made a £30,000 car a £40,000 car !

with its folding "tin" roof - i reccon that the SLK is one of the best all round 2 seater cars available today...

Enjoy

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom