ownership costs for an slk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashtondav

Reaction score
Hello

I am interested in buying a very recent SLK. I have up to £30K.

I would be interested to hear about model recs but ESPECIALLY ownership costs over a two or three year period. I realise they will vary with the model but any pointers would be appreciated.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I did a search and found nothing.

Thanks for any help

Reaction score
Search the forum for ServicePLus. This is an MB service contract that means you will know exactly what you car will cost to run. It covers all servicing costs, as well as any parts needed and any parts that break due to wear and tear. This basically means if you didn't break it on purpose it's covered. It's a great was to be certain how much you car will cost to run.

It does depend on how old your car will be and how many miles you do but its certainly worth looking into. Its saved me a fortune.

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
it does help if you have an idea of engine size.

the 200 comes with a 1.8 supercharged engine and is reasonable economical. you can easily average 30+mpg, isnt particularly expensive to insure either. if it has popular sized wheels the tyres are not to expensive and a decent make can last a fair while. Check out your insurance company to find out if they specify a Tracking device, that may add over £100 a year to your costs.

The bigger engines use your more fuel, eat tyres quicker and have a longer lasting impression!

I had a SLK55AMG as my last mercedes. It cost £750a year in insurance (30something) with tracker specified. averaged around 23mpg and its tyres and they lasted 9500miles at about £250 a corner. Thats with A V8 5.4ltr remapped to give 399BHP.:p

Shambolic

Reaction score
Ma missus has the slk200 it returns about 30mpg, insurance in my name(33) with wife named 8000 miles limit on year is about £350.
Not had any costs at all yet as under warranty £28k to buy for a 54 Jan 2005 (bought in June 2006) car with remote opening, phone, mettallic paint, leathercant remember whit else photo is in avatar!!!

OP
A

ashtondav

Reaction score
Odd that no-one knows.

I guess if you have to ask the price you can't afford it.

Thanks for the tip about the MB scheme, though.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
IMO SLK's are run for the fun of it rather than for business, therefore costs don't always come into it. I can tell you every cost associated with my E class, but I have no idea how much my bikes cost to run.

gary350

Reaction score
The answer to your question could differ wildly if you have a good independant close to you.

gary

OP
A

ashtondav

Reaction score
So Gary350. Assuming for one moment i have the same access to independents and main dealers how much do you estimate spending on servicing/repairs in a year.

I just want an estimate and your 2 cars would give me a good idea.

Cheers

gary350

Reaction score
So Gary350. Assuming for one moment i have the same access to independents and main dealers how much do you estimate spending on servicing/repairs in a year.

I just want an estimate and your 2 cars would give me a good idea.

Cheers

I am afriad I am not the best person to ask on annual costs as my average mileage over the past 8 years as been very low (less than 3K, less than 1K on the 350 since last service Jan 06)) although I would say it does depend on what your do per year if its less than 12K estimate at maybe 2 oil and 1 bigger service every 2 years that would work out at just over £1k every 2 years (oils at just over £250 and 500+ for the bigger, it may be wise to go round to your local MB garage and ask them for their estimate.

GARY

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
whats odd is that you still have not suggested an engine size.

you can get a 1.8, a 3ltr, a 3.5 and a 5.4 altho the 5.4 probably wont be around £30k yet. all will have differing costs.

plus dealers may offer prices based on the car type or engine size and you can use Independant service agents who could be up to 50% cheaper. Where you live will also effect your insurance and the mileage you do may be something we need to make a more informed post.

So give us an idea of what you think you would like and answer some of the questions and we may be able to offer more advice so you can make an informed decision.

OP
A

ashtondav

Reaction score
Thanks Gary. I guess I will just have to visit my local MB garage and ask a few questions.;)

Still a tad surprised no-one her seems to record or know the running costs of one of these vehicles.:???: But never mind.

Cheers all, and thanks for the replies.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The quality of advice and information can be linked to the amount of information given. You have decided not to answer any questions posted above or give any further information :confused:. You may just as well asked how long is a piece of string.:confused:

gary350

Reaction score
Thanks Gary. I guess I will just have to visit my local MB garage and ask a few questions.;)

Still a tad surprised no-one her seems to record or know the running costs of one of these vehicles.:???: But never mind.

Cheers all, and thanks for the replies.

There are running costs published for all cars in the auto mags but it really does depend on what model you have, how many miles you do, your age because insurance comes into the question, even MB garages appear do have different costs, the answer is that the cost will be slightly more than most other cars but on a like for like about the same as BMW, but my deciding factor is not the price of the servicing but the quality of it and that is hit and miss depending where you live.

gary

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
am going to close this thread so it doesn't go round in circles.

If Ashtondav wants to find out more about costs associated with ownership of an SLK maybes he will start in new thread with more specfic info.

For the record I do keep all records of my cars. I have had a SLK200 both R170 and R171 (2ltr supercharged and 1.8ltr supercharged) and a SLK55AMG. I still have all costs recorded but if you look at a 280 or 350 none of the info I give would be relevant.

If you supply us with the car you may be interested in we can give further advice as we have stated several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom