Pads and Discs

ben10

Reaction score
My bake warning light has come on for the first time.
How much should I expect to pay for new pads and dics to be fitted to my C200 CDI? I want to use a merc garage.

124coupe

Reaction score
Hi, genuine parts will cost about the same at Merc or an independant (although some indies pass on part of their parts discount).

Labour will be between 1 and 1.5 hours per "end" of the car.

So, indie versus Merc = about £100 difference per end of the car.

If it is due, get the brake fluid changed the the same time to save some of the labour....

OP
B

ben10

Reaction score
so how much will I be looking at then?

Ultymate

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230K Estate 1998
Ben just because the lights come on doesn't deffinately mean you need discs, pads yes, but your discs may be ok. Prices vary a good deal but cheaper at a M/B independant than a full on Mercedes dealer

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If this is the first time that the pads are to be changed,you do not need new disc,or you should not, disc go from 30k to 50k without replacement.

The front pads are around £90 from MB, £30 max from a motor factor say Mintex,Texstar, these are the same pads as fitted to the car when new.

Labour for fronts MB charge £125 and mb indie about £60

Malcolm

124coupe

Reaction score
Prices for the pads and discs (and sensors and bolts) vary quite a lot by model.

You need to get the car checked to see which pads and maybe disks need changing. Get the independent garage to do that part and make sure they measure the disk thickness.

The dealers can be a bit close to the edge - at my FIRST service, they noted that I brought in long-life oil and suggested I needed the brakes stripped (at 13,700 miles) so they could then estimate when I MIGHT need pads in future - as it MIGHT be before the 27,000 miles (ish) or my next service.

They ONLY wanted another £130 for this "optional" check.......I can see a wear light on the dash thanks!

Services = dealer (for Mobilo)
Replacing worn consumables (like brakes) = yourself or an independent

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
as above - use an indie for brake pads, or even a non merc garage should be able to cope with a c200. (not SBC so quite straightforward). Just ensure they use proper MB spec parts.
Using a dealer to change pads falls firmly into fools and their money territory! It doesn't affect service history.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
jberks said:
as above - use an indie for brake pads, or even a non merc garage should be able to cope with a c200. (not SBC so quite straightforward). Just ensure they use proper MB spec parts.
Using a dealer to change pads falls firmly into fools and their money territory! It doesn't affect service history.

Mintex is an OE supplier of pads to MB, but at less than half price.

malcolm

OP
B

ben10

Reaction score
thanks Steve,
good advice
Ben

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
over the last few years i have become more inclined to do alot of bits on my cars myself, merely becasue the dealers have a habit of messing something up or causing damage.
If you are technically inclined brake disk and pad replacement seem very straightforward (although i have not attempted it yet). i have done a few 100 googles and its seems relatively simple, plus reading a goodold haynes manual.
Although i still use the dealers for service - for warranty and mobilo, i definately agree with the other posts to use an indi for things like this, or if you know a decent mechanic!

Micman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180K Avantgarde SE
Hi there,

If it is of any help, I have a facelift 2004 C180 Kompressor auto with Sport pack. I had new pads fitted to the front at an independent garage.

They charged me £64.21 for the brake pads, £10.00 for the pad wear sensor and £22.50 to fit them.

So thats £96.71.

I didn't have the discs done.

Reaction score
I had the front discs, and pads on all 4 corners changed last Thursday (at 43,000 miles - I don't know if this is the first time as I've only owned the car from 32,000 miles onward). I had it done at a stealer but only because it was on Service Plus cover. This means it was included in my fixed monthly price.

However, the garage charges £95 p/h labour and took 2 hours to do the work. Plus the discs, pads, sensors, pads etc I would estimate this would be around £350 to £400 (inc vat and labour).

I had disks and pads done on my Audi at an Indie (front only) and I think it cost about £130.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom