1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plz help! small electrical fire 07cls550

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by Alan Disbrow, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Alan Disbrow

Alan Disbrow New Member

Your Mercedes:
    07 cls550 / 02 clk430
    I recently just bought a 07 cls550 that i absolutely love it has 118k on it & is in very good condition i also have a 02 clk430 that ive had for yrs but just the other nite while driving cls550 the cabin filled with smoke & long story short somehome a phone charger had melted & somehow cause a short wich somehow didnt blow the fuse to the rear 12v socket wich ended up melting/ burning about 10-15ft of wiring i have replaced all the wiring as far as i can see & or get to the damaged wires but i still have abs not operative & teleaid not operative also my steering feels heavy almost like no power steering but not quite that heavy also my scan tool will power up but will not communicate at all with vehicle i have checked all fuses multiple times i have also replaced the rear fuse box & relays & fuses but i still cannot find what is causing my malfunctions also the yellow/black wire that plugs into the rear 12v socket is somehow still grounded & i cannot figure out why but everytime i put a 15amp fuse in #13 socket in rear truck fuse box it pops as soon as i turn the key on i have been working on trying to fix this car for like 3 days straight & i have also been searching everywhere for wiring schematics for this vehicle & cannot find anything at all any help would be very very much appreciated! Thank u

Attached Files:

2. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W212 E63 ///AMG V8 Biturbo Volvo XC90 2018
    Wow some tale Alan!
    Thought we were going to talk ABS but I was wrong...so far
    There are some good car electrical experts on here, I am not one of those so someone else will chip in shortly
    But just one thing, sorry I hope this doesn’t come over badly, but in future could you include some punctuation, separation or paragraphs in your posts please ?
    Don’t know about others but one great long sentence loses me almost instantly!
    Thanks!

3. Craiglxviii

Craiglxviii Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W215 CL500 Garage Queen; W211 E320 Avantgarde Estate Designo Edition
    I’m guessing you’re over the pond, Alan?

4. GLK

GLK Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    A200 Avantgarde Special Edition Sports Coupé • C169
    If you mean there's a short there, have you check the actual plug - I see you're reusing it, but there might be melted plastic [wall between pins] inside, causing the short.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :)

5. Flyinspanner

Flyinspanner Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CL500 -W215, A140-W168
    Maybe getting it connected to STAR diagnostic system could diagnose which units may now be at issue.

I suspect the blowing fuse is due to part of the loom on that circuit suffered damage during the initial incident, and melted wire insulation/unit damage which is now short circuit, hence fuse blows.

GLK likes this.
  6. Flyinspanner

Flyinspanner Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CL500 -W215, A140-W168
  7. joderest

joderest Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML270 2003
    OP stated that a scanner will not connect, so will star connect ?. It could well be that this has damaged the main ECU, just a guess

8. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    At a guess it sounds as though some additional wires in the loom have had their insulation damaged and from the symptoms I'd be looking at the CanBus.

GLK likes this.