"Prisoner's Friend"

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I went to view a used Mercedes yesterday with a view to changing the S Class for a more utility vehicle. A nice R Class had caught my eye. Living rurally, the snow of last year reminded me that rear wheel drive cars have their limitations, although I have to say I never avoided a journey and I never got stuck.

I phoned Colin at MBS, who I know has used R Class extensively. He was not only extremely positive about them, but offered (insisted?) that he come along too.

I have bought and sold a few cars over the years, and I have only had one disappointment (new MGB Tourer, 1971), so I am fairly confident meeting the motor trade on their ground.

I have always been a keen student of telling other people to take someone else with them when buying - preferably someone knowledgeable. But I have never done it myself - until yesterday.

Having an expert view was enormously reassuring. He got there first (!) and had already spent some time with the car running static before I arrived. When I joined him he gave a very relaxed but extremely comprehensive account of his observations. He told me about things I would never have thought of checking - and things I did not know were there.

Long story short, unless you are a real expert, it is definitely worth having a "prisoner's friend" to accompany you. If you are not expert, I would rate it as necessary. After all, the minor cost and inconvenience of having the car viewed by someone who is knowledgeable and who does not have any personal interest in whether you buy or sell, can save you buying a poor car which has been well presented. It can save you buying "a money pit"!

No reasonable vendor will object to this approach. If someone does, I would walk away.

Once I had decided to buy, the snag appeared that the vendor put too low a price on the S Class and the "cost to change" was more than I was prepared to pay. So I made an offer, and we walked away. The next week or so will test the vendor's pain threshold, and his enthusiasm to sell.

Colin and I then finished off with a pleasant lunch and went our separate ways. Not a bad way to spend a sunny day - very enjoyable really. No pressure on me, and every confidence that, if I buy it, it will be a good'n!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thanks Alex,, Colin is a smashing knowledgeable guy,,and I thought that he was in bed

NJones59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI Avantgarde
Thanks Alex,, Colin is a smashing knowledgeable guy,,and I thought that he was in bed

Maybe he got up while you were in the bathroom Malcolm:shock:

I know how to start a rumour :lol:

And, I've just hijacked my first thread !!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
And we can say when all of this comes about "Alex you R class"

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
Alex If you recall I went down that route in January and got no where. When I looked last in May the dealer still had the 280 Sport. As the yanks s "GO FIGURE"

OP
Alex M Grieve

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Alex If you recall I went down that route in January and got no where. When I looked last in May the dealer still had the 280 Sport. As the yanks s "GO FIGURE"

Different car - but I don't doubt that some of them move very slowly, if at all.

They are a good prospect if you find the right car, at the right price and someone who is keen to sell.

The negotiation continues.

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
There ya go !! ....... "Colin and I then finished off with a pleasant lunch "

He's at it again !!!!!!!

Does no one else care, what this man does with his customers ............... it happens so often now, it's being taken for granted ................... he needs reporting, or something !!!!

OP
Alex M Grieve

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There ya go !! ....... "Colin and I then finished off with a pleasant lunch "

He's at it again !!!!!!!

Does no one else care, what this man does with his customers ............... it happens so often now, it's being taken for granted ................... he needs reporting, or something !!!!

His local knowledge and discerning taste in restaurants considerably enhanced the whole day and the "car viewing experience" Thumper - thank you for your concern. :cool:

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
I bet !! ........................ food !!!! .............. thats all he does !! ................ I have seen no evidence of his spannering skills, whatsoever .......... it's all a masquerade, I tell ya !!!................. a deep plot to live, eat and breath, sweet stuff !! ......... lol

nickcc101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S203 C180 auto estate 2001 (sold)
Totally agree with taking a second pair of knowledgeable eyes with you. No matter how much mechanical skill you may have, once you see something you really want it's easy to convince yourself that all those imperfections are only minor and will cost next to nothing to repair, if only.

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
This is so very true ............. but how can you trust a man's judgement, on a sugar rush ?? ...................... lol

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom