R230 - intermittent wiper function inoperative

Mike H Cheshire

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 - 2006
When I switch on the intermittent wipe the wiper goes through one cycle and then stops and does not budge unless I move the control to setting 1 or 2 or press the wiper control in lightly ie not hard enough to send a jet of water onto the screen.

On setting 1 and 2 the wipers work normally and when the car comes to a stop the wipers stop. They restart as soon as I move off so in the main they are working fine all apart from the intermittent function.

The car was fitted with a new body control unit just before I bought it 2 years ago. I have been told that the intermittent wipe function may not have been “switched on” and that it possibly needs diagnostic equipment connecting and being “told” to work?

Does that sound feasible?

I did see on a USA Mercedes Forum that someone raised the same issue and the fix was as follows

"First, pull and reseat your windshield wiper relays (locations are on the fuse diagram usually found in the toolcompartment in your spare tire well).

With engine running and all passenger doors closed, starting at 0 turn on wipers to #3 position, then put the switch in the 0 position then put it in the auto #1 (rain sensor position) then have someone splash water on the windshield as the doors have to be closed to reset this function. Then they should function normally.

Anyone heard of this and if so can you tell me where the wiper relay is located ?

Finally when its working properly is the intermittent cycle rain sensitive and does it speed up the wipers depending on the amount of rainfall?

Thanks

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Can't answer your other questions but yes the 1st position is rain sensitive.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
It’s F11 which in the fuse box under the bonnet in front of the steering wheel...
I didn’t know about this reset function but sounds reasonable ! Please report back if it works (or not)

Attachments

• r230fusemap.pdf
    481.6 KB · Views: 20

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I have heard the rain sensor can be re-set, I cannot think the above procedure will do any harm, so worth a try. Mine could probably do with a reset as the intermittent wiper is a bit reluctant sometimes.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
There are two rain sensitive setting on my car, though there doesn't really seem to be much difference between them. Cleanliness of the screen makes a huge difference on how it responds to rain. The other week the wipers seemed to just carry on wiping regardless of rain but giving the car a wash made a big difference.

OP
Mike H Cheshire

Mike H Cheshire

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 - 2006
Hi John many thanks for the fuse chart - I gave the reset a go but it didn't work. So back to the drawing board! To be honest just a niggle really I can manage without it hence why I haven't done anything serious about it since I got the car 2 years ago - been doing a few little jobs on the car recently and thought I would try and sort this out but not to worry.

Got plenty of other little jobs to be getting on with!

Viscount

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL / 2003 / 3.7L
I had my windscreen replaced due to a stone chip and the rain sensitive function became troublesome after that. I asked the local independent garage to take a look and they reset the function and all is well. I don't know the detail of what they did but it does seem it can be done.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I asked MB whether they could reset the intermittent wiper at the last service and they just looked blank, and asked whether I had tried cleaning the sensor. The guy I deal with is usually pretty knowledgable. I would like to know whether it is possible.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom