R230 SL washer bottle leaking

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Hi there the leak has got so bad that I am thinking of doing something about this.

Where is the bottle located please, and how do I get at it. I am hoping it is not an engine out job. I cannot see the bottle anywhere. Hopefully it is just a loose hose connection. I am hoping it is accessible from the top of the car.

Thanks in advance

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Under the front wheel, so wheel off & plastic panel off

OP
SL63 Mark

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Opposite end of the filler cap ... ;)

I don't think you have seen the 230 SL, there is no opposite end to the filler cap. All is hidden away in the bowels of the car.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I don't think you have seen the 230 SL, there is no opposite end to the filler cap. All is hidden away in the bowels of the car.
No .... haven't seen under the bonnet of your car, but I can only see the filler cap end of the washer bottle on all of my cars but I know there is a bottle at the other end somewhere. They are commonly tucked away under the wing of cars these days and hidden by the wheel arch liner.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
It is the front, drivers side. Mine leaked - it turned out to be the headlamp washer - as I had it stripped down, all I did was screw something that blocked that bit of hose (never used it anyway)

Denis O

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230
Same as drmw. Mine needed both headlamp washer jets replacing to stop the leak.
Few years ago now so I don't remember the cost. Had my indy do it.

OP
SL63 Mark

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
It is the front, drivers side. Mine leaked - it turned out to be the headlamp washer - as I had it stripped down, all I did was screw something that blocked that bit of hose (never used it anyway)
Thanks David I think that is where the leak is coming from, judging by the puddle on the garage floor

OP
SL63 Mark

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Thanks Denis, I think I will block mine off, as you did.

OP
SL63 Mark

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
No .... haven't seen under the bonnet of your car, but I can only see the filler cap end of the washer bottle on all of my cars but I know there is a bottle at the other end somewhere. They are commonly tucked away under the wing of cars these days and hidden by the wheel arch liner.
OK thanks, that sounds "do-able".

OP
SL63 Mark

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
What is confusing me, is that the puddle is under the passenger side headlamp washer area, so I thought that is where the bottle was. I did not realise the bottle was on the drivers side. I will start from the bottle and work from there. Hopefully I can clamp off the supply to the headlamp washer from the bottle. I have only used the headlamp washers twice in ten years of ownership, they seem to drain the washer fluid really quickly. Good for spraying cyclists, though I would never do that as I am a cyclist.

We shall see.

thanks to all for your knowledgable replies.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
What is confusing me, is that the puddle is under the passenger side headlamp washer area, so I thought that is where the bottle was. I did not realise the bottle was on the drivers side. I will start from the bottle and work from there. Hopefully I can clamp off the supply to the headlamp washer from the bottle. I have only used the headlamp washers twice in ten years of ownership, they seem to drain the washer fluid really quickly. Good for spraying cyclists, though I would never do that as I am a cyclist.

We shall see.

thanks to all for your knowledgable replies.
Good chance the flexible pipe has cracked on the pax side

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
The pipe is much bigger than I had thought - I think it runs from the reservoir to the osf headlight then across to the nsf.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Ditto ours and those washer jets are stupid expensive!

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Should headlamp washers work during the MOT? :confused:
I used to pull the fuse for the headlamp washers on my Omega as they washed every time you washed the screen & would very quickly empty the washer bottle. Headlamp washers on my ML just wash the headlamps every so many screen washes.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Amused that this one seems to have the bottle drivers side as I have or have had 3 MB's (S203,S204 and SLK) where the washer bottle is behind the front of the wheel arch liner NS (Passenger side)! So far I've had to access the 204 one a couple of times - the first for a failed pump, the second to replace the cheapie Ebay special with an OEM (Febi Bilstein, twice the price but worth every penny) one 2 months later when the cheapie leaked! Also had to replace the OS washer jet on the 204 - and as MB will only supply the full bifta pump to OS jet I bought second hand from a breaker to get just the OS jet!

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
O/s/f rear of wheel arch but my dads washer bottle was in the middle………… on his ford cortina, ;)

Last edited:

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom