R230 SL500 Rattle

dals100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL 500
Yes that is the one :D:D Now to be absolutely honest I have used that one for the past couple of years and it works very well at a price that lets you use it more often. Sure MB recommend the Krytox and I had some to start with but I sold it to a guy whose roof I fixed from leaking.

Just ordered that one £6.32 Including delivery ... hopefully it will do the trick!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Just ordered that one £6.32 Including delivery ... hopefully it will do the trick!

Use it on every rubber that you can find including all the door seals :D

acw

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 '04
Malcolm,

Do you have anything on '04 onwards / pano roof rattles?

Any info greatly appreciated - wood.ac@gmail.com

Thanks in advance

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have sent you the whole file, use the date where shown for some things

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You can always call in and buy, other than that buy 3or4 tubes and sell it to other members and earn lots of dosh :D

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500
Could you send me a copy please?

I have an 52 SL500 and have a very similar rattle problem.

Thanks.

F

fitch

Mercedes Sl350 rattle roof

Hi all,

Recently purchased a really good example 2004 SL350 - however, as you may have already guessed, I'm suffering from roof creakage.

Just ordered some Molycote Dow Corning silicone grease as it seems to be the most cost effective - just need to know what areas of the roof hinges to lubricate when the roof is open?

If anyone could supply me with a guide and a How-to I would most appreciate it :)

My email is:

info@jezworld.com

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Hi all,

Recently purchased a really good example 2004 SL350 - however, as you may have already guessed, I'm suffering from roof creakage.

Just ordered some Molycote Dow Corning silicone grease as it seems to be the most cost effective - just need to know what areas of the roof hinges to lubricate when the roof is open?

If anyone could supply me with a guide and a How-to I would most appreciate it :)

My email is:

info@jezworld.com

Unlikely to be the hinges - it will be the rubber seals where they contact the various metal panels. Start to open the roof until the bit above your head is about 18" from the top of the windscreen - stop the process & use a piece of timber to go between the front of the roof & the top of the screen. Switch off the engine & the roof will move forward again until it stops against the timber - it's now going nowhere (no danger of damage btw doing this).

First, clean every seal & anything made of rubber you can find. Then use whatever lubricant you wish (Krytox is best) & rub into all rubber faces, no matter how silly it seems. Leave the roof in that postion for about an hour, then start engine, lift "roof down" handle, catch timber before it lands on your head, then open or close as you wish

F

fitch

Thank you - that's wonderful. Have copied your instructions for following once this wet weather let's up.

A job for the weekend once the lube arrives (!)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have sent you the roof noise papers as well just in case, I used the dowcorning and that worked very well as a lubricant. It transformed my SL it does another job as well, that is the roof can close tighter as less resistance when closing.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Thank you - that's wonderful. Have copied your instructions for following once this wet weather let's up.

A job for the weekend once the lube arrives (!)

One word of warning - when you are placing the timber between the roof & the top of the screen, try to have the gap as close as poss to the length of the timber - simple reason - when you swith off the engine, the roof will sit wherever it is for a few seconds before moving forward under gravity - it is ****** heavy, so keep fingers out of the way (don't ask how I know that!)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
One word of warning - when you are placing the timber between the roof & the top of the screen, try to have the gap as close as poss to the length of the timber - simple reason - when you swith off the engine, the roof will sit wherever it is for a few seconds before moving forward under gravity - it is ****** heavy, so keep fingers out of the way (don't ask how I know that!)

You can pull the roof forward by hand once you have turned off, very easy to pull while you hold the wood

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Still trying to find the source of my rattle :( ..just not enough time to realy look at it.... But i do agree on that roof being heavy as it closes .....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Still trying to find the source of my rattle :( ..just not enough time to realy look at it.... But i do agree on that roof being heavy as it closes .....

Is it OK with the rear window down or just lowered a touch

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I need time to drive it slowly where i can hear it without the wind rushing by me at 80mph as that seems to be the only driving i am doing in it right now... Long motorway cruises (quite lovely) ...

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If it is the rear window its quite a lot of work getting to it, it could make a slight clonk at time, the other side was silent, but it was never anything to worry about. thumping the C pillar might show it up

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cant work this one out at all ..... I think its window related ... And then i dont ... Perhaps a bit of window plus just things metallic clunking ... Tempted to try and remove the plasticmcovering the pillar but too wary of snapping something... I have a feeling its in there thats doing it... Everything else is just nice and tight when i examine it....

I suspect the music will go on when i drive all the time... I will contineu to look and see... But jst notmobvious at all...

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom