R230 space-saver

Viscount

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL / 2003 / 3.7L
Had a soft tyre today, thankfully was able to drive to local tyre place. Tyre was not repairable due sidewall damage so the spare was attempted. It is a Vredestein tyre deflated on a black rim; possibly never seen use before. It did not inflate in a symmetrical manner insofar as the wheel itself was not centred in the tyre when viewed from the top of the wheel with the wheel standing up. I was therefore a bit stuck. Luckily, the tyre shop was able to source a replacement tyre same day, so I just left the car with them. I guess after 17 years, the spare couldn't be blamed for this.

Anyone any advice from experience of what the best replacement solution for a spare is in these circumstances?

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
When I had to get the space saver out, it was a bit scary inflating it as they seem to go lopsided at first but once you get the the max pressure it says on the instructions it came right :eek:
Done this on both SL500's and just recently on the SLK.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Two of my R230 had punctures - same as above - they will come all right

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Yep, as above, all space savers look wonky to start, but inflate OK when up to full pressure. Can take quite a bit of pressure, maybe 40 psi minimum in the 911.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom