R231 rear space

Viscount

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL / 2003 / 3.7L
We carry a small dog box behind the passenger seat in our R230 (it has the luggage straps). I'm thinking it might be time to replace the car and would ideally go for something newer than 2012 which is when I believe the R230 became the R231. My wife is 5' and so has the seat positioned somewhat forwards by choice. I appreciate this is a bit subjective but how much space is there on the shelf behind the passenger seat in the R231. I've tried to look at pictures of cars for sale as there's no actual cars in showrooms locally but it is hard to tell.

Better still, anyone carry a dog box in the R231?

I've modified this box to be a bit trapezoidal so it is about 12" front to back at the bottom and 8" at the top and about 14" high. The poodle can sit, lie and turn round!

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
We carry a small dog box behind the passenger seat in our R230 (it has the luggage straps). I'm thinking it might be time to replace the car and would ideally go for something newer than 2012 which is when I believe the R230 became the R231. My wife is 5' and so has the seat positioned somewhat forwards by choice. I appreciate this is a bit subjective but how much space is there on the shelf behind the passenger seat in the R231. I've tried to look at pictures of cars for sale as there's no actual cars in showrooms locally but it is hard to tell.

Better still, anyone carry a dog box in the R231?

I've modified this box to be a bit trapezoidal so it is about 12" front to back at the bottom and 8" at the top and about 14" high. The poodle can sit, lie and turn round!
If your in Essex/Suffolk you are welcome to try it in mine...

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

OP
Viscount

Viscount

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL / 2003 / 3.7L
That's very kind. I am in Scotland however!

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Not far then ;-)

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Not much. There is a small shelf (about 6” deep) that runs the width of the car behind the seat (and slightly raised at the center console) . The part behind the passenger seat is actually a storage box. Plus, even with the seat fully back, IIRC it does not touch the box so say about 2” plus space you gain by having the seat forward for your wife. So I doubt it would be suitable. The other thing is that there is nothing to attach the crate to.

FWIW we have a 6kg poodle cross and cannot find a way to safely transport him behind the seat added to which, animal welfare says the dog must be able to stand to full height in any cage.

KLM sell a dog transport crate that allows you to have the dog in the cabin (under the seat) but it must be able to stand at full height in the crate. My sister has a Chihuahua that regularly flies. :oops: but he is tiny.

Good luck and if you find a solution I’d be interested to know what it is.

OP
Viscount

Viscount

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL / 2003 / 3.7L
Thanks. Our dog is also 6kg. It sounds quite tight and smaller than the R230. I had wondered about acquiring a spare lid for the compartment and bolting fixing eyes to it to retain the crate. Obviously means the compartment could only be accessed by removing the crate but that's the situation currently. The R230 has a storage compartment behind driver's seat as well however.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom