raising car fluffed transmission

louisoliver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 E280 + LPG
This weekend I decided to change my transmission fluid. have done this before on my old j reg 230e so thought I'd do it on my e280. It seems I have damaged the transmission pan as it won't for a good seal against the transmission and my genuine merc atf is running out on the floor (a pricey puddle). I normally work using drive up ramps. Had to roll the car down to stop any drunks playing with it as it was getting dark. How can I raise the car well enough to change the pan now. Daren't start her up to use the ramps again. Don't want to have to pay to have it towed in to the garage really. If there's anyone in birmingham area who can fix this on my drive or can hire me something like a mobi lift I'd be eternally grateful.

Parrot of Doom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was an E300TD, now a Lexus LS400
Get a trolley jack, and some axle stands. Couple of bits of railway sleeper as well if you have them.

What year is the car, or which model is the transmission? The bolts are designed to make it difficult to warp the transmission pan.

Did you purchase a new gasket?

Also, MB dealers sell pan magnets which I didn't know about when I did mine.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have seen that the bolts on the earlier cars are not stepped so you can over tighten and warp the edge. I will try and find it later in the day.

As parrot lifting the car,use wood,not bricks.

Malcolm

When I find it it can be added to Parrots thread.

OP
L

louisoliver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 E280 + LPG
Thanks

Cheers for the advice. Have managed to put it back together and salvage the oil left in the old pan. Bought a new pan from mercedes and a second new gasket. Appears to be fine now.

Top Bottom