Rattly E Class

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
My W213 had developed a rattle upon acceleration, a really noisy grating noise which was impossible to ignore. I only noticed it properly on Sunday as I've not really had chance to use the car much due to real life getting in the way. :(

Yesterday (Monday) I had to use it and it was getting frustrating so I called into my local dealership on the way back home. Brilliant service as usual, waiting no longer than 10 minutes till I was met by a mechanic who I took on a very short test drive. He agreed instantly that there was a problem, so we brought the car back, took it straight into the garage and put it on a ramp.

As soon as it was in the air it was obvious what the problem was. The exhaust was practically touching the cross member underneath it with a gap of around 3mm. There were some very slight marks, though nothing detrimental.

They didn't have time to sort it yesterday though I got it booked in for first thing this morning. The same mechanic took the car in, removed the cross member, cut a bit out of it for clearance and shimmed the middle bolts out with a couple of washers for even more clearance. Another quick test drive with him driving this time and me listening and all sorted out. It's a job I could easily have done myself, though by letting them sort it my warranty is still intact. :)

As this seems to be a design fault, they're expecting a few more in the next few weeks, though I was told that, at least currently, nobody else has complained.

Incidentally, I prefer to refer to the guy who fixed it as a mechanic and not a technician/fitter, as he fixed it using initiative and a few old bits and pieces, and not relying on plugging it into a computer. :)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
That's interesting indeed Dave. That kind of thing tends to be spotted in the Layout phase of design........

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Most likely the exhaust has been manufactured out of spec. Nice to hear the dealer responds positively

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom