1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rattly E Class

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by daveenty, Sep 12, 2017.

1. daveenty

daveenty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2017 W213 E63s & 1989 W201 2.5-16
    My W213 had developed a rattle upon acceleration, a really noisy grating noise which was impossible to ignore. I only noticed it properly on Sunday as I've not really had chance to use the car much due to real life getting in the way. :(

Yesterday (Monday) I had to use it and it was getting frustrating so I called into my local dealership on the way back home. Brilliant service as usual, waiting no longer than 10 minutes till I was met by a mechanic who I took on a very short test drive. He agreed instantly that there was a problem, so we brought the car back, took it straight into the garage and put it on a ramp.

As soon as it was in the air it was obvious what the problem was. The exhaust was practically touching the cross member underneath it with a gap of around 3mm. There were some very slight marks, though nothing detrimental.

They didn't have time to sort it yesterday though I got it booked in for first thing this morning. The same mechanic took the car in, removed the cross member, cut a bit out of it for clearance and shimmed the middle bolts out with a couple of washers for even more clearance. Another quick test drive with him driving this time and me listening and all sorted out. It's a job I could easily have done myself, though by letting them sort it my warranty is still intact. :)

As this seems to be a design fault, they're expecting a few more in the next few weeks, though I was told that, at least currently, nobody else has complained.

Incidentally, I prefer to refer to the guy who fixed it as a mechanic and not a technician/fitter, as he fixed it using initiative and a few old bits and pieces, and not relying on plugging it into a computer. :)

2. Craiglxviii

Craiglxviii Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W215 CL500 Garage Queen; W212 E220 AMG Night Edition; W211 E320 Avantgarde Estate Designo Edition
    That's interesting indeed Dave. That kind of thing tends to be spotted in the Layout phase of design........

3. malcolm210

malcolm210 Senior Member

Most likely the exhaust has been manufactured out of spec. Nice to hear the dealer responds positively