RE: W169 (2006) 150 – rear shoes adjust – which direction for adjusting?

AndrewCS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class W169 A150 manual 2006 - 55k
Greetings:

Further to my recent thread regarding my hair-pulling installing of new brake shoes I need to adjust the shoes so the handbrake is locking after a few clicks.

Two questions please:

• Which direction do you turn the adjuster notched cog wheel to tighten the shoes?
  • If you have to pull the cogged wheel back towards you through the drum / disc inspection hole – how do you do that / what type of tool do you use for that?
Many thanks again for all the helpful input.

Much appreciated

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
The rear brake shoes are used for the foot brake as well.
You have to release the hand brake then adjust the cog wheel. Turn it in the direction that locks the drum. Then turn the cog in the opposite direction a wee bit and check that the drum turns by hand. Do this on both sides. So this means that the shoes are at the most efficient place for the foot brake.
Then, adjust the hand-brake lever by adjusting the length of the cable.
If memory serves me right, the adjuster nut is under the car ahead of the fuel tank.

OP
A

AndrewCS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class W169 A150 manual 2006 - 55k
The rear brake shoes are used for the foot brake as well.
You have to release the hand brake then adjust the cog wheel. Turn it in the direction that locks the drum. Then turn the cog in the opposite direction a wee bit and check that the drum turns by hand. Do this on both sides. So this means that the shoes are at the most efficient place for the foot brake.
Then, adjust the hand-brake lever by adjusting the length of the cable.
If memory serves me right, the adjuster nut is under the car ahead of the fuel tank.
Thanks for that, I am trying to find out which way to turn the notched cog to tighten the shoes as I imagine it easier to push the cogs away with a small flat blade screwdriver rather than trying to hook the cog with something to pull it back the way towards you.

I understood that the shoes are only operated by the cable – which means are only connected to the handbrake and not used during breaking via brake pedal.

Thanks again.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
I understood that the shoes are only operated by the cable – which means are only connected to the handbrake and not used during breaking via brake pedal.
My apologies for not reading the other thread.
Does the rear wheel also have discs on your car??

tpn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 OM651 2012, Daimler V8 250 X 3
I can never remember which way the cog turns, I think it is clockwise on one side and the opposite on the other side.
I have done it several times and it is always an adventure.:D

Just wind with a flat screwdriver one way or the other until you feel the hub binding.
You will get there eventually and I bet you that you will have forgotten again the next time.

You are correct, where shoes are used for the handbrake, they are independent of the callipers.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom