Rear subframe needs replacing - nuts and bolts

Tina kenan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes c220 2008
Hi
My Mercedes has just failed it’s MOT on a corrosive rear subframe. My local Mercedes dealership have authorised it to be replaced under recall. I have now had an email to let me know it is on order but if they can’t use the existing nuts and bolts or suspension arms this will cost me between £150 to £200. To my mind if you need to replace a part you would surely automatically need to use new nuts and bolts. Is this right and fair and has anybody else been told this? Thank you

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome,

Some dealers charge, some don’t. I paid ~£100 which I could argue to get back with Mercedes. Not worth it to me though.

Contact “Dave Evans” on the Facebook SLK forum, he’s loads of emails and documents and has helped many get their cars repaired - generally for £0

rayhennig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 300CE-24 Sportline
To my mind if you need to replace a part you would surely automatically need to use new nuts and bolts.

They don't even give you a copper drain plug washer with the oil filter any more. More cost-cutting?

R

Woodleigh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S213 - AMG E 53 - 4MATIC - Premium Plus - Night Edition - Mild Hybrid Estate.
They don't even give you a copper drain plug washer with the oil filter any more.
Aye, back in the day the parts guy would give me a handful FOC. Last week I lost a a couple of tyre valve caps and went int the dealer for a few; nearly fell over when he presented me with this invoice.
img20240124_16215858 2.jpg

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
years back I asked for the 4 M6 screws that held my R Class's rear number plate on ..... the lad on the parts desk returned with them, but didn't have it in him to charge me for them. The should have been £2 each.

but .... on AN Other occasion I was charged about £1.50 each for the trim clips holding the tailgate inner panel on! I'd asked for 10 of them! ££££££££s

OP
T

Tina kenan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes c220 2008
Hi
My Mercedes has just failed it’s MOT on a corrosive rear subframe. My local Mercedes dealership have authorised it to be replaced under recall. I have now had an email to let me know it is on order but if they can’t use the existing nuts and bolts or suspension arms this will cost me between £150 to £200. To my mind if you need to replace a part you would surely automatically need to use new nuts and bolts. Is this right and fair and has anybody else been told this? Thank you
Thank you all

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
You could argue that since the subframe is covered by warranty then so should be the fixings - that would be my take.
Dealers I get the impression are trying to squeeze every cent out of customers more than ever before.
Aye, back in the day the parts guy would give me a handful FOC. Last week I lost a a couple of tyre valve caps and went int the dealer for a few; nearly fell over when he presented me with this invoice.
View attachment 88062
Thats just asking for it getting them from Merc. I would have gone to any tyre place and asked. They have box fulls

Woodleigh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S213 - AMG E 53 - 4MATIC - Premium Plus - Night Edition - Mild Hybrid Estate.
Thats just asking for it getting them from Merc.
Agreed, never used to be an issue when my dealership was Drayton, but since they were taken over by Lookers they even stopped my 10% club discount.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
The new era of procurement managers and accountants screwing every bit of profit out of the supplier and customer computerisation can be a wonderful thing when used properly for the bottom line.

The E53 estate I’ve just bought was presented without front mats (there were a set of rubber ones in there admittedly MB) so I asked for 2 new carpet mats the reaction of the salesman was as though I’d asked for the Crown Jewels - guess what it was delivered with rubber mats

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Dear Sir,

concerning your vehicle reg no XXXXXXX a Mercedes C220.

Please accept our apologies for producing a substandard vehicle, it is apparent that the decision taken to produce the vehicle without taking reasonable care during its design and manufacture was a mistake.

We would now like to repair the vehicle at our expense including all the parts necessary to affect a repair to the standards a Mercedes Benz owner should expect.

Please select one of the below by way of compensation for the inconvenience;

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yours Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

MB UK.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
The new era of procurement managers and accountants screwing every bit of profit out of the supplier and customer computerisation can be a wonderful thing when used properly for the bottom line.

The E53 estate I’ve just bought was presented without front mats (there were a set of rubber ones in there admittedly MB) so I asked for 2 new carpet mats the reaction of the salesman was as though I’d asked for the Crown Jewels - guess what it was delivered with rubber mats

I’d keep the rubber ones, the carpet stuff I see on MB cars appear to be cut from council housing job lot rolls with a brand stamped in. Gone are the days of deep piles and proper emboss skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I’d keep the rubber ones, the carpet stuff I see on MB cars appear to be cut from council housing job lot rolls with a brand stamped in. Gone are the days of deep piles and proper emboss skills.

Yes, I do use both, rubber mats in the winter and the carpet type for summer a full set of the latter runs out at £160 - those AMG logos don’t come cheap lol

Ian Parkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w212 e250 CDi 2011 estate
I'm having my s212 rusty subframe done on this coming monday i will report back with whats been charged for as extras....

does anyone know if subframes have failed in use?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I'm having my s212 rusty subframe done on this coming monday i will report back with whats been charged for as extras....

does anyone know if subframes have failed in use?
Yes, a few threads on here where owners have reported their cars "steering erratically" from the rear. :eek::oops:

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
I wonder if you refuse to pay for bolts etc in advance, will they refuse to do the work and allow you to drive off with a snapped subframe?

Or, can you say they need to reuse everything except the subframe, would they actually do that, or just replace anyway?

It seems a nonsense for Merc to say 'we will do some of a job, but you need to pay for some bits that we will have to do anyway that are part of the job'.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wonder if you refuse to pay for bolts etc in advance, will they refuse to do the work and allow you to drive off with a snapped subframe?

Or, can you say they need to reuse everything except the subframe, would they actually do that, or just replace anyway?

It seems a nonsense for Merc to say 'we will do some of a job, but you need to pay for some bits that we will have to do anyway that are part of the job'.
Exactly that, they won't even start the work without a signed authority

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
Yes, a few threads on here where owners have reported their cars "steering erratically" from the rear. :eek::oops:
That was what happened with ours. We had to tow the caravan home as well...

brian59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz W204 2012 Blue effi
Thank you all
Just had my car back Tina after 7 weeks from 2/12/2023. 01/01/2025
Absolutely descrace the time and the incompadance of MB Cheshire oaks .no courtesy car for nearly 8 weeks just Totally unprofessional and the customer's/ owners they also come onto ne for fittings ie nuts and bolts they treat you like your i had my engine serviced getting somethink for nothink never mind the dangers it put you in driving this vehicle I still belive after a long discussion with service manger this should be a auto recall not down to be being picked up by goverment mot inspector
Totally immoral.

Top Bottom