Rear suspension drops after parked up S 350 2004 model

tich

Reaction score
Hi
Ive only noticed yesterday that rear suspension had deopped after car was left parked for a few days !
Once key is inserted the red Warning message is displayed car too low.
Once started and the presed the up and down switch and car starts to pump up the suspension and stay ok and drives fine.
Its only started recently ..i asume its to do with the rear bellows leaking ?
Any pointers as im Not taking it to the #obbing Main dealers'may be a member who is able to help,as the car is comming on to 20 years,ive had it fron new with 69 K miles and not worth much to any one but me!
Thanks

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Yes time to renew the rear airbags pump should be ok providing you replace the airbags sooner rather than later. You can get a refurb kit for the pump but at that mileage probably not worth it yet

OP
T

tich

Reaction score
Hi Malcolm
Would you happen to know the parts no and where’s best to get them please!
Thanks

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Arnott is reputable but I understand their setting is fixed.

HIDs-direct.Co.Uk seems to carry these in stock. Other than that I’d go for genuine struts but, at least labour is relatively low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
I’d talk to MB in the first instance they do offer exchange units if you ask It will also give an idea of price before looking further

You could try Aerosus:

OP
T

tich

Reaction score
Many Thanks to both gents

OP
T

tich

Reaction score
After ringing a Merc Main dealer ..the upshot ..Refurbs are around £850 and Brand new well over £1400 each..oh yes none are available for a good few weeks !
Can any member shed some light ..as to which ones they have fitted and are are happy with your choice and could recommend!
Thanks

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
If the car is a keeper I’d be inclined to go with the refurbed MB units (which are aimed at older cars) they will be as well engineered and give good service. Aftermarket is always a bit of a lottery as to how long they last I think the old adage is you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
OP
T

tich

Reaction score
Just an update..as Not sure if there’s any link..
Due to original issue I’ve had with a parasitic discharge and having battery completely drained a few years ago..
I had fitted a cut off to the battery which ive been disconnecting every time I’ve not used the car..which was almost once a month.
Yesterday i reconnected battery,the suspension started to pump up to its required height and the stop.
I also pressed the button to raise and lower it and all seems fine,it has managed to stay up perfect for at least over 24 hours despite the battery being disconnected!
I’m thinking it must have been the - 4 Temperature we experienced last week has caused the issue!
Will monitor it and report back.

Last edited:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
My airmatic E350 estate dropped about an inch (which it never does) due to not being used for more than a week and the very low temperatures we experienced last week. My thoughts are the very low temperatures affected the air pressure in the system the car raised within seconds of being started to normal height

OP
T

tich

Reaction score
Yes I’ve come to that very same conclusion..
It’s been almost 48 hours and it’s still in the normal position.
It’s got to be the low air temperature having something to do with the slow leaks!
Thanks

OP
T

tich

Reaction score
Further update.. Still holding air and suspension is in correct position!

OP
T

tich

Reaction score
Suspension still all fine..today took car for a 200 mile journey..no issues at all.

Last edited:
OP
T

tich

Reaction score
Ok I’ve had the same issue come back!
I’m sure it’s to do with the Temperature dropping well below 0 deg !
As I’ve been having a parasitic drain problems for a good few years..I’ve had a battery isolator fitted.
I don’t use this car more than once a month.so i disconnect the battery after use every time.
I’m sure if it left the battery connected it would automatically pump up the suspension,
I know this because …as soon as i connected the battery up …the pump immediately starts to raise the suspension to the correct height and hen stop.
Hope this helps others.

Top Bottom