Recently purchased a 1985 230CE. Will need help!

fredges

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
230CE/1985/4cyl,FI
Hello everyone! This is my first post, and I'm happy to be here. I just recently picked up a 1985 230CE, my first Mecedes Benz. I'm quite a novice, and not extremely skilled with a wrench, but I like to think I can accomplish anything if I put my mind to it. That said, I'll probably be posting here often.

Here are some photos of my car:
1qt6Sln.jpg

csNzwjh.jpg

bI9KXAL.jpg

I live in Seattle, and I flew to San Jose, CA to buy the car, driving it 948 miles home! It's not perfect, but it's coming along as I have time to peck at it. I've been enjoying driving around town, and get compliments every time I take it out.

It's hard to find information on it, as it's a fuel-injected 4-cylinder, which I believe were not a US car. The European-style bumpers are also a giveaway.

I'd love to hear anything you have to say about this car! I want to learn all I can about taking care of it myself w(when I can.)

Thank you!
-Fred

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Welcome to the forum,. Very nice W123 .One of the best models mercedes made .My car was a 1993 230e . You only have to ask on the forum if you need help .I only replaced the discs and pads on mine in 4 years of ownership .That was in 2000 .Dont have it now . At the moment my car is the W124 260e 1989 saloon. Enjoy the forum like i do. I have had lots of help over time , and i must say, i have been greatfull for it .

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Nice car. Welcome Fred. We have family in BC, nice part of the world.

Last edited:

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Welcome Fred.

Your car - considering it's over 30 years old is in really great condition -it's obviously led a very sheltered life just like me !

As Dreamer No 2 said, on this friendly forum you only have to ask and someone is bound to have an answer for you.

OP
F

fredges

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
230CE/1985/4cyl,FI
Thanks for the warm welcomes! Just last night I was driving it and the fan/AC belt broke! I was about two blocks form home, so I coasted into the garage, fortunately. It was squeaking pretty bad, and I thought it was simply the cold weather, but upon inspection, I notice the AC compressor pulley doesn't turn, and appears seized. Yikes! I've replaced alternators and such on cars before, so I'm not too worried about doing it myself, but I'm wondering if it's just the clutch on the compressor, or...??? Any advice? I'm pretty sure I can find the part around here, but no idea what it will cost!

DavidR

Reaction score
I *love* the colour of that W123. Normally I couldn't care less what colour a car is but that's fabulous.

As for the AC compressor. If the clutch had siezed (or the freewheel bearing had siezed), you wouldn't be able to turn the AC off as the pump would be being driven all the time.

If you cannot move the pulley at all then it sounds rather terminal for the AC compressor, as it means not only is either the clutch or the bearing siezed, but the compressor is too. You should be able to *just about* turn an AC compressor by hand, even when it is engaged. If you can't, it's probably toast.

Easiest thing to do is have the system de-pressurised by an AC person, change the compressor for a new / known good one and then have it re-gassed and re-oiled.

Taffy7hfa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 ML 270 CDI,2016 Hyundai1.6 CRDI i30,2014 Peugeot 308 HDI. .6 HDI.
Beautiful car , I would love to have one parked on my driveway !

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom