recommended oil?

flagstaff

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'94 E220 Cab
i know this has been covered a few times ... just want to know what the best oil is for a '93 E280, 24V 5-sp. i gather it has variable valve timing, which is charged by the engine oil; would this make a difference when choosing? cheers for any tips!

tom7035

Reaction score
All hydraulic valve tappets are charged with the engine oil, and the best engine oil to be had these days is fully synthetic. This is fact, not personal preference. Of course, if your engine burns oil at a high rate, you would be throwing money away!
Which brand is your own choice, and 5W 40 grade would appear to be the optimum in this climate.
A search of posts by 'Oilman' will educate you on engine oils.
Cheers, Tom.

Last edited:

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=11869

The above was quite an interesting post with Oilmans comments. Do you know what oil has been used previously ? In my Service book, the dealer stamps it and puts the oil spec used in the book.

There does seem to be some discussion about changing to a fully sythentic oil from mineral causing oil leaks - due to the higher level and better detergents in the synthetic product.

There was also a recommendation to "flush" the engine if you are unsure what is already in it just to be sure - but engine flush was not the preferred method - it was better to refill with the new oil to the min mark, start engine and let it get hot for a while then drain oil, change filter and refill with fresh oil again. Only way to go if you dont know what was in it previously.

OP
flagstaff

flagstaff

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'94 E220 Cab
thanks a lot guys! that's given me plenty to think about/research.

W77

Reaction score
Where can I get Mobil1 5w 40? Would the 0w 40 be ok? C180 2000.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom