Removing Steering Wheel

M

muzzere320

Hi Chaps,

This follows on from a previous thread regarding the multifunctio Stalk but since there would be a number of reasons to remove the Steering Wheel I thought it would be worth a separate thread.

I have been trying to engage the torx bit but can't feel anything for it to catch on - so am I correct in my assumption that the screws are accessed from via the two holes in the back of the steering wheel & do you put the bit in following the line dictated by the moulding of the SW?

Does any one know the specified torque for retightening the Sterring wheel retaining nut/bolt?

Thanks

finleyfishface

Reaction score
Hi there
I have EXACTLY the same problem, all geared up to do an apparently simple job, (much helped by the way by TV's guidance on earlier threads, yet, I cannot seem to find a 'location point' for my torx in the rear of the SW?? so I too will watch this thread with eagerness !
Good luck !

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hi there
I have EXACTLY the same problem, all geared up to do an apparently simple job, (much helped by the way by TV's guidance on earlier threads, yet, I cannot seem to find a 'location point' for my torx in the rear of the SW?? so I too will watch this thread with eagerness !
Good luck !

<when in the straight ahead you have the two spokes either side, the is an in fil bit in between the two spokes on both sides, the hole for the airbag is in there, one each side, the left hand one is in line with the stalk.

When complete the SRS lamp must go out within 20 sec

Torque wheel to 80Nm

This work is done with battery off, and steering lock engaged

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Chaps,

This follows on from a previous thread regarding the multifunctio Stalk but since there would be a number of reasons to remove the Steering Wheel I thought it would be worth a separate thread.

I have been trying to engage the torx bit but can't feel anything for it to catch on - so am I correct in my assumption that the screws are accessed from via the two holes in the back of the steering wheel & do you put the bit in following the line dictated by the moulding of the SW?

Does any one know the specified torque for retightening the Sterring wheel retaining nut/bolt?

Thanks

Is your car a 210055

OP
M

muzzere320

Malcolm,

Sorry to show my ignorance but I don't know what a 210055 is I understand the 210 bit but not the 055?

Thanks for the interest

Cheers

OP
M

muzzere320

Malcolm

Well I finally got the second brain cell to talk to the first one the VIN no is WDB 2100552 A 027770 so it is as you surmise a 210055 - is there any particular significance in that?

Thanks again

OP
M

muzzere320

Hi all

Well I got the wheel ok, it was slightly more complicated than I expected but easy enough. For reference this is how it went:

Disconnect the battery

Ensure the steering Lock is engaged

Remove the Air Bag:

As indicated by malcolm the Torx bit goes in through the holes on the rear of the SW. I found that by using the line dictaed by the moulding the bit went straight to the screw and with a bit of gentle pressure and slow rotation it engaged right away. Acouple of points the moulding is fairly flexible so it's quite easy to distort it and go off line. The torx bit needs to be about 21/2 long or it won't reach

When the screws are undone lift the airbag gently off the wheel and disconnect the electrical connection from the back & disconnect the two wires that are about 11 & 1 o'clock - you don't have to worry which is which as the connectors are different.

Remove the Indicator Self Cancelling Mechanism:

There are two small holes in the black disc at roughly 3 and 8 o'clock though which the two retaining screws are visible, undo them and lift the unit clear. Be sure the two circular components don't separate.

Undo the SW retaining bolt it has a 10mm internal hex. There is some locking compound on the thread so you'll need a long bar to get it undone.

That's it the wheel will come off with a little gentle rocking and a tug.

OP
M

muzzere320

Hi all

Well I got the wheel ok, it was slightly more complicated than I expected but easy enough. For reference this is how it went:

Disconnect the battery

Ensure the steering Lock is engaged

Remove the Air Bag:

As indicated by malcolm the Torx bit goes in through the holes on the rear of the SW. I found that by using the line dictaed by the moulding the bit went straight to the screw and with a bit of gentle pressure and slow rotation it engaged right away. Acouple of points the moulding is fairly flexible so it's quite easy to distort it and go off line. The torx bit needs to be about 21/2 long or it won't reach

When the screws are undone lift the airbag gently off the wheel and disconnect the electrical connection from the back & disconnect the two wires that are about 11 & 1 o'clock - you don't have to worry which is which as the connectors are different.

Remove the Indicator Self Cancelling Mechanism:

There are two small holes in the black disc at roughly 3 and 8 o'clock though which the two retaining screws are visible, undo them and lift the unit clear. Be sure the two circular components don't separate.

Undo the SW retaining bolt it has a 10mm internal hex. There is some locking compound on the thread so you'll need a long bar to get it undone.

That's it the wheel will come off with a little gentle rocking and a tug.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good work and now you are a happy muzzere 320.

I only asked for VIN as there was a change ½ way through, not needed now :D

OP
M

muzzere320

I have just realised there is an error in my posting above - The self cancelling mechamism is beloe the wheel and only visible when you take the wheel off:Oops: Sorry chaps I removed the wheel so I could replace the multifunction stalk. I'll update the post on that soon

ATB

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom