Running Lights on a 230 (same as many others)

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thanks could you simplify please. What do I do

Do you have the correct little box for the running lamps, there should be a ground lead that goes to any nearby grounding point.

You will have an "ignition" wire that you connect via a piggy back fuse to fuse 27. You remove fuse 27, plug in the piggy back fuse holder and replace the fuse, and your ignition on wire connects to this piggy back fuse..

You should have a third wire, this is to turn the running lamps off when your lights on turned on, you just join this wire to one of the live parking lamp wires.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Malcolm,

is this possible to do on my 215? Looking at the foglamp finisher yours is very similar to mine so physically should fit, just thinking about the electric string side of things.

TamOshanter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c250
Do you have the correct little box for the running lamps, there should be a ground lead that goes to any nearby grounding point.

You will have an "ignition" wire that you connect via a piggy back fuse to fuse 27. You remove fuse 27, plug in the piggy back fuse holder and replace the fuse, and your ignition on wire connects to this piggy back fuse..

You should have a third wire, this is to turn the running lamps off when your lights on turned on, you just join this wire to one of the live parking lamp wires.

Is this what i need as a piggy back fuse

-Free-shipping-of-50pcs-15-A-Circuit-Fuse-Tap-Piggy-Back-MINI-Blade-Fuse-Holder.jpg

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes they should fit just fine on a 215, I can normally work out where to take the wires from, the longest possible are the best.

OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Last edited:
OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

TamOshanter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c250
Hi Malcolm
I have got everything now but the wires on the box are confusing me. There are two black cables with a plug/socket thingy at the end what does that connect to. How about the rest please

Attachments

• IMG_20151106_185218.jpg
    IMG_20151106_185218.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 17
OP
television

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The 2 black lead with plugs feed the driving lamps.

I would say the the 2 wires with the spades on are the pluss and ground.

I would guess that the yellow lead connects to the side lamps to turn the driving lamps off. and the white wire dims the driving lamps instead of turning them off.

TamOshanter

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c250
The drls are small and fit in between the spaces in the lower grille. What do you suggest i use to create a bracket or something that i can screw them onto and how to how it secure behind the grille

Its this type of lower grille/vent

114066d1169772873-pics-my-car-checkk-car-001.jpg

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
This is a superb upgrade, Malcolm - well done.

I've been looking around for something for my S203. I bought a pair of DRLs from Europcar' which were incredibly cheap (made by Wipac) and gave very good light etc but there was absolutely nowhere they could be fitted without cutting into the grill or front valance. Europcar took them back without question, which gives them a definite plus mark.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dave, unless you have the AMG bumper with fog surrounds, it would probably look better to have, say three-four bright individual LED lights each side, in the lower grille, immediately next to and in line with the fog lights, i.e. between two middle slates.

With Malcolm's help, I fitted DRLs to my car last Autumn, and although the layout is different, the type of LEDs and the rest of the setup might work for you.
There's a full write-up on the install in the DIY section.

If you email me a front pic of you car, I can photoshop the LEDs in for you to see ...

The other option is to replace the turn indicators in the main lights with the combined DRL / Turn LEDs (no experience with that, other than seeing samples on YouTube and reading about a couple of successful installs on UK forums.)

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Thank you!

Dave, unless you have the AMG bumper with fog surrounds, it would probably look better to have, say three-four bright individual LED lights each side, in the lower grille, immediately next to and in line with the fog lights, i.e. between two middle slates.

With Malcolm's help, I fitted DRLs to my car last Autumn, and although the layout is different, the type of LEDs and the rest of the setup might work for you.
There's a full write-up on the install in the DIY section.

If you email me a front pic of you car, I can photoshop the LEDs in for you to see ...

The other option is to replace the turn indicators in the main lights with the combined DRL / Turn LEDs (no experience with that, other than seeing samples on YouTube and reading about a couple of successful installs on UK forums.)

Thanks very much, David. I don't know how I missed this in the DIY section.
- btw: a superb write-up, almost idiot-proof (well for most idiots although maybe not for this one!)

I'm unwell atm but will get a frontal image done ASAP.

Rudycob1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl55/2003, 430 Spyder DNA, Jaguar XJ, Range Rover Sport.
Great post. Looks very nice.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom