S class pitfalls???

d4hwt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221
Hi all,

Considering changing my W210 for a 01 ish plate s-class....would appreciate any pointers to watch out for....i take it there are no major rust issues like the e-class..what about electrics?...not made my mind up about petrol or diesel yet...

Ta

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
The prefacelift w220 (before 2003) are notorious for electrical problems, and especially the airmaric failing (very expensive to replace).
Not sure about rust issues, although on mine i have noticed a small rust bubble under the bonnet on mine.
My 320CDI returns aout 35mpg, avoid the 280 petrol as they just dont have the power for such a big car.

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
I know of numerous problems with the suspension and electrics, would give a wide berth unless the jobs have been done. Even then they seem to be extremely troublesome. The W210 is no better and I cant help but feel the money is better spent on a premium classic such as a W124 E320 coupe or cabrio......

Stircrazy

Reaction score
Yes I really think the W124 series was the end of the line.

evrything after about '94 seems to be lacking to say the least!

nialler

Reaction score
ermmm why is it still considered one of the best cars in the world?

Granted it has more technology than the space shuttle and therefore the more complex a device is the more that can go wrong but *touch wood* beyond a few niggly problems still an absolutely fantastic car.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
I have to agree. Sure it isn't the cheapest car to keep on the road and it doesn't have the change the oil and just run it aspect of the 124 etc, but the S is a fabulous car. As a pinnacle of reliability and build quality they did peak with the 124 admittedly, but I don't think I'd give up the power,economy,handling and general technology of my 211 for a 124. They are just too old fashioned. As something to drag out on a sunny day, sure but not for a daily 100 mile commute.
I might consider a swap to an S though!
That's the point, yes there are known issues, but I slightly envy anyone who can afford to run one and can live with the size. If you like it and aren't struggling just to cover the payments, then go for it.

johnmc

Reaction score
Hi,
Main reported issues appear to be electrics (heaters, fuel gauges and speedos) and water leaks caused by blocked ventilation plenum chambers There have been safety recalls for some of these, check that the work has been done on your car. Don't be surprised to find the odd rust spot, but shouldn't be as bad as the W210. The air suspension could be a problem. This is one of the first cars to get this feature and it's longevity is unknown. Old Range Rovers with it had eye watering bills for the cost of replacing air suspension parts.

I hope you go for it, there are some tastey buys out there now that the new model is on the market, very tempting!

All the best!
John

nialler

Reaction score
airmatic is the air suspension system, doesn't handle speed bumps to well but the overstuffed leather armchairs you sit on protect your bum very well, and keep em toasty on winter mornings when they're heated.

Have had two warnings about airmatic and bas but seems to be a sensor glitch hasn't reappeared in 5 months (I've a 2000 model).

They seem to be relatively cheap to acquire but the expense is in the servicing and repair if anything does go wrong (keep a couple of grand handy for that rainy day).

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
The airmatic as mentioned is the air suspension, it raises the car by a few cm, apparently its useful for driving over potholes and uneven surfaces. To be honest I dont notice much of a difference.
To correct is well over 2K if its totally buggered.

The best thing about the w220, is opening her up on the motorway in cruise control. The car is deadly silent. no noise at all from the engine. The loudest noises are the cars in the other direction as they pass you by.

As mentioned they are expensive to fix if something major goes wrong.
An A service is approximately 300
A B service will set you back ovor 450 (468 to be exact - i recently enqired). I will be supplying my own oil and various cabin filters when the next service is due - sourced from ebay.

I always get the service done at the stealers and any additional work I have done elsewhere.

They are truly amazing cars, I notice people here mention the w124, I have owned mine from brand new, its an M reg. I must admit though and as the general views on here say, the w124 is an amazingly built car. IMHO its better built than the w220 - it seems more solid. both amazing cars but for different reasons.

if you can get a w220, do it, definately try and go for one of the facelift models - after 2003. The faults have been corrected in these later models.
why would you even consider a w124 in this day and age if you are lookig at an s class

Last edited:

M6AJJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
v222 2014 350
Just to add to above:

I have a Sept 2000 S320 petrol which I have owned for a couple of years. One of the best cars I have ever driven.

It is comfortable, fast enough, absolutely silent, and still returns 28mpg on a run.

Apart from routine servicing and a set of tyres, (which last for about 30,000 miles) I have only had one major issue , which was the lights on the speedo cluster all going out. Whole binnacle had to be replaced at a cost of £600. Mobilo were brilliant and provided a new S Class for five days whilst the part was ordered and fitted. Good point here, make sure that the vehicle you buy has a full MB service history so you qualify for Mobilo assistance.

Good luck and go for it!!!

M6AJJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
v222 2014 350
Very useful, but as you say, no consolation now. Many thanks.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
d4hwt said:
Hi all,

Considering changing my W210 for a 01 ish plate s-class....would appreciate any pointers to watch out for....i take it there are no major rust issues like the e-class..what about electrics?...not made my mind up about petrol or diesel yet...

Ta
Sixty per cent of S class sales are diesel. Fantastic engine. Quiet like you would never believe for a diesel and 35 mpg combined figure. As fuel prices rise the premium for diesel when you come to sell will probably increase. And the engine lasts forever and costs less to service.

Autocar, What Car, Auto Express all made the 220 series S class best saloon car in the world. You can still read the Autocar review on their website. It says the 320 diesel is the 'best engine option for the best saloon car in the world'.

I am no techie, but all the experts I have talked to say there were lots of improvements in the facelifted version (from 2003 I think -correct me someone) and Merc has made big efforts on reliability issues. Every morning I wake I look forward to driving the S. Just awesome.

M6AJJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
v222 2014 350
Owning a 320 petrol, but having driven several 320 diesels, I have found the differences to be as follows:

Petrol; Much quieter, particilarly on start up, but from inside the car not that much difference. Very slightly quicker on acceleration and feels more refined.

Diesel: More MPG, 35 plus versus 27 plus on a run and much better on short journeys. Hold the second hand price better, and probably will continue to do so as fuel prices continue to rise.

maldon

Reaction score
Why did you start this thread and why, like a mug, did I have to come and have a look?

Always wanted an S - sort of talked myself out of one when I bought the previous ML. Post crash nerves etc had me rushing out to replace the destroyed ML with another.

Am dead chuffed with the ML, but deep down, I really seriously fancy an S.

Since we are moving the office and i'll be back to commuting to London by train, we may have to rationalise the car sistuation, two is probably going to be one too many - but I know am going to loose my shirt and trousers trying to chop in the ML and the A for a halfway decent S.

I've already wasted half an afternoon yesterday on autotrader.....

Gutted of Colchester

nialler

Reaction score
PINBALL said:
M6AJJ
Great to hear from someone with a petrol, but whats the mpg please?

I've a 00 S320 petrol and I get the following around Dublin (gridlock city and very short runs)

Urban 13-18mpg (have seen 8mpg on a run to the airport during rush hour)

Motorway Cruise Control 70mph – 31mpg

M6AJJ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
v222 2014 350
I have just checked the MPG on the vehicle computer, (I know it is not always acurate, but is a good guide)

Over the last 7,150 miles it has averaged 26.4 mpg.

Last week on a 1,200 mile two day trip, 60% motorway, it managed 28.5 but that wasn't hanging about.

70 does appear to be the optimum speed returning over thirty. Short stop start and you are down to about 11.

Hope this helps.

Oh by the way, keep clear of the 280, underpowered and worse MPG.

Top Bottom