S211 Someone Run in to the Rear

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
Feeling happier now and although the loaned Jaguar XF is nice and new it certainly isn't a Mercedes-Benz.

Well that's another thing in favour of the XF then!

OP
amb67

amb67

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C220 Coupe AMG, E320 CDI (S211), Aprilia RSVR
Unfortunately Malcolm I have a need for an estate car, the dog tends to go a bit mental if on the back seat, in the boot he's as good as gold. The kids still need the Mum and Dad Taxi service.... but due to change soon.

In reality I would really love to be sitting in a CL500, however it may only be a year or two away, my sons starts driving next month and the dog can just go and whistle..... LOL

Then good news and bad news,, what will you buy

OP
amb67

amb67

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well that's another thing in favour of the XF then!

The XF has some nice gadgets fitted but the ride is very soft and taking corners is a little scary after driving an E Class with sports suspension fitted. Don't get me wrong it is a great car but just not my cup of tea.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Interesting that those that have parted with the MB and bought a XF have never posted back with their findings, there have been quite a few.

I saw a nice new one in red in Tesco today parked where he should not be.

It did look good I must say and the car did hold that bright metalic red very well

OP
amb67

amb67

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Crikey, those insurance companies don't hang around....

My renewal is due early April and I have just received a notification update to say that my renewal premium has been revised following a loss or claim update, it has increased my renewal by £100 a year.

I have protected no claims and this is a no fault accident.....

Should I go and see a solicitor and start proceedings against the other driver for financial loss?

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Crikey, those insurance companies don't hang around....

My renewal is due early April and I have just received a notification update to say that my renewal premium has been revised following a loss or claim update, it has increased my renewal by £100 a year.

I have protected no claims and this is a no fault accident.....

Should I go and see a solicitor and start proceedings against the other driver for financial loss?

Yes and for future years. It's going to be a fight otherwise you will be out of pocket from no fault of yours.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Your Insurance company is trying it on, ring around for a better price and then tell them to shove it...

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Bad luck; thank heavens your wife got the basic info.

So far as your recent cost for new battery/tyres/springs is concerned... the situation is unfortunately that you are insured to have the car restored to the condition it was in prior to the accident.
- That's it.
- You are able to pursue the other party for "uninsured losses" - this covers thing like car hire and you probably have this covered either by your vehicle policy or an associate "legal protection" policy.

Unfortunately, what you spend on replacement parts etc is something you will not be able to recover directly from either insurer or the third party.

If (and I hope it does not come to this) your insurer says the car is "beyond economical repair" then they will offer you a settlement price.

NEVER accept the first offer... it's all part of the mugs game (mugs accept the first offer!). The car will be inspected by an insurance assessor - and if the propose writing it off, they should send that to you (if not ask for it). Read the assessor's report carefully - they usually provide a summary of the vehicle condition and trade value to help the insurer to consider whether to repair or write off. If the assessor is good at his job, he should mention things like "4 new tyres/battery" etc. So if it comes to a write off situation, contact your insurer in writing and list all the items you have just replaced and describe it's good clean condition etc.
- They will almost certainly improve on the first offer.

You may also have an opportunity to settle for a write-off payment plus the wreck.

- If you have this option you need to ask potential repairers (very often the safe place to which the vehicle was taken after the accident) for a price to rebuild the car to an insurable state once again...

- Provided the insurer categorises the write off as a financial "beyond economical repair" you should be able to arrange this okay.

-But do bear in mind that if you settle, your insurance stops but the fee for the policy-year is due in full with no rebate.

As I said, it's a mugs game... but if you think very carefully at each stage - before jumping in you can come out on top!

Best of luck!

Last edited:
OP
amb67

amb67

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't think you would get anywhere with that.

Seems to be the only option available at present, I can't just sit back and take the financial hit for some one else’s inability to see a huge black car waiting at a junction.

Can you suggest another action to take then?

Thanks

lwbnick

Reaction score
Website
euromerc.tumblr.com
Your Mercedes
expedition
Seems to be the only option available at present, I can't just sit back and take the financial hit for some one else’s inability to see a huge black car waiting at a junction.

Can you suggest another action to take then?

Thanks

There's only so much you can claim for, has anyone been sued for this sort of thing before??

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
There's only so much you can claim for, has anyone been sued for this sort of thing before??

The claim goes on the OPs file, its pending litigation and once its resolved the OP then contacts his insurer to get the rebate on the premium back as it goes to non fault accident.

Get the other drivers reg, its enough for the insurer to claim or to pursue the other persons insurer. Both parties have to give details of the incident, and as the OPs car was hit from behind he will get it resolved in his favour.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
If you are having problems getting your claim moving then I would suggest you find a good Accident management company..... I know where would one find a good accident management company...and give them the details of the other driver..well they will tell you what they need... and they will sort your car and your claim for you....
Be careful tho as many accident management companies are as dodgy as the Insurance companies

OP
amb67

amb67

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update

Well, still not got the car back yet so still running around in the Jaguar XF. Must admit I am getting used to it although the steering is absolutely terrible (too light) after driving an E Class with parameter steering.

The bodyshop say they will be in a position to deliver it back on Monday, I'll beleive that when I see it, they said exactly the same last week when they told my wife all they had to do was fit the rear screen. :shock:

Just had to renew my insurance and the quote tool I used (Confused.com), advised that the repairs just being completed have come to £3500.00. Those tailgates and trims must be damn expensive if that the cost to repair. :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed for the car being returned Monday, looking forward to getting back behind the wheel of our own car again.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Good luck,,, please check that everything is working before you sign anything,,,do not take the car in the rain or you will not see much

OP
amb67

amb67

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, the cars back and I'm absolutely fuming.....

The repairs are an absolute disgrace, it looks like a monkey has completed them and I'm seriously considering legal actions against the repairers. Here's a list of defects after looking at the car for 15 minutes:

1. The tailgate no longer opens or closes easily, it must be misaligned as it bangs when you pull the release handle

2. The hinges creak badly as the tailgate opens

3. The tailgate stops about 8" before it gets to the top, just enough to smack your head on at my hieght

4. The bumper has runs in the paint and it looks like the chrome inserts have been fitted then the bumper sprayed, they have paint in the gaps between the chrome and the bumper, looks terrible.

5. The rear of the car looks lobsided, almost as if the car is leaning to one side. Not sure if this is an optical illusion, will need to measure the ride hieghts.

6. The interior trim refitment is shambolic, the chrome slam plate is loose, the side trim on the right side is poorly fitted and the left trim has had the catch broken off.

7. A piece of trim on the inside floor is still broken and it looks like they have tried to cut it flush to hide the fact it's broken, leaving a sharp edge.

8. Drove the car tonight and been flashed by every other motorist, presumably my headlamp aim is out somehow.

9. The car interior is covered in dust, looks like its had a half hearted vacuum and wash.

10. The paintwork above the offside rear window has some kind of a stain on it, wasn't there before. Tried to rub it off but it won't move.

OP
amb67

amb67

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm absolutely gutted, this car was in excellent condition and they've ruined it through shoddy workmanship.

I am at a loss for words to describe how I feel right now.

Bugger!

Maybe you'd have been better walking away ....... :confused:

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
Sorry to hear that Alan - I know how I'd feel :twisted:

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
Sorry to read this.

Unfortunately, it mirrors precisely my own experiences with Mercedes body repairs.

They just don't give a s41t. You will likely find that they will happily tell that to your face too, when you try to complain.

Last edited:

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom