s320 1994 rear brakes

D

delrobbo

Hi Im A New Member Hope You Can Help.failed Mot Next To No Rear Brakes.ive Replaced Rear Pads And Discs[front Pads Replaced Last Year,bled Rear [bought A Preasure Kit]took It Out For Spin Abs Light On Brake Warning Light On Light Preasure Car Stops Peddle Travels Long Way Touched Rear Discs Stone Cold[snowing Hear But They Should Be Warm,so Still No Rear Brakes All In Vain.is There A Brake Compensator That Could Be Seized??bleed Front Brakes??hope Some One Can Put Me On The Right Track Thanks

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Long pedal travel suggests master cylinder troubles. Each end of the car has a seperate hydraulic circuit.
The fault could also be in the ABS pump.

You must bleed the rear before the front i.e. furthest away/logest pipe first Rh r, Lhr, Rhf, Lhf

Some punctuation and a few less capitals in your fault list might clarify your question.

OP
D

delrobbo

thanks for info.
bled brakes again today and abs unit.
i can hear air sound when i press brake peddle down.
just want to make sure it is brake master cyl.
quoted £106 plus dreaded vat. THANKS AGAIN FOR REPLY

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As wireman I think that you will have to replace it, that is the reason for long travel on the pedal

OP
D

delrobbo

master cyl

thanks for reply.
hope to pick up one in morning.

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
The air sound is probably the servo admitting air into its chamber through the control valve in the operating rod (servo end) atop the brake pedal. Its nothing to worry about, its only usually audible when the engine is stopped and its quiet. It will only happen a couple of pedal operations since the servo will run out of vacuum.

Bleed it with the engine running to get the servo booster in action or else the new master cylinder may get a teeny weeny bit of air trapped between its two working pistons, this leaves a very slightly soggy feel to the pedal.

If you take the pistons out of the old cylinder you may see that one or both of their rubber seals is all gooey and swollen, if so its probably because the brake fluid has not been changed regularly (at the one year MB service interval).

This may have affected all the seals in the system, again don't worry unduly since the seals in the rest of the system do not have to slide through any distance like the master cylinder and they will most likely not be affected badly.

When the bleeding stage of your repair comes around press back the brake calliper pistons of each wheel to empty them of old fluid and then bleed it, if the fluid is dark and grotty looking repeat the pushing back bit once or twice to get the last of the old fluid out of the system, with luck and given that its only 6 years old you will have no trouble with the other components seals, most brake manufacturers give hydraulic parts a ten year life after which they should be changed.

Old fluid can also accelerate the natural decay of the flexible hoses at each calliper so bear in mind that these may be best replaced if the fluid is or has been in poor condition, they are fairly inexpensive and may make the car safer.

Last edited:
OP
D

delrobbo

thanks for latest info hope to get it sorted over next few days.
will post result.great forum well done.

OP
D

delrobbo

abs light

:D replaced brake master cyl rebled system i now have rear brakes.
abs light on all the time.?????

OP
D

delrobbo

abs light

:D thanks malcolm i will check it out in morning.

OP
D

delrobbo

mot pass

:D passed mot but only just..handbrake needs adjustment.
another problem is i have a battery drain ive removed software for satnav still the same.
all internal lights go out as they should ??? new batt... alternator been checked all ok

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

delrobbo

battery drain

:confused:cant get to the bottom of this battery drain...battery cost £78 ten months ago i start the car up and let it run for twenty mins twice a week its only done 500 miles in 2008..charging ie alt been checked out thats fine ive checked glove box light goes out removed bulbs from boot..removed software from fitted sat nav still no joy...i may take the battery back and get a replacment.. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT
THANKS

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What make is the battery that you purchased

OP
D

delrobbo

its on charge at present ..will take it out and post reply in morning..

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
Its worth doing a search on the forum for "battery drain" or "current drain" as it seems to be a recurring problem with mercs. In fact my SL has started to play up - after 3-4 days of non use it will need a charge when its cold. Its too cold to look at it at the moment !

OP
D

delrobbo

morning all and happy new year...make of battery is DUCELLIER EXPERT 88AH DO17 CCA 720....i will wait for reply before i get on the phone and get a replacement if needbe..
thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
morning all and happy new year...make of battery is DUCELLIER EXPERT 88AH DO17 CCA 720....i will wait for reply before i get on the phone and get a replacement if needbe..
thanks

Never heard of it, and an in house brand, and I guarantee that it is dud.

Exide,Bosch,Banner,Lucas all good

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its worth doing a search on the forum for "battery drain" or "current drain" as it seems to be a recurring problem with mercs. In fact my SL has started to play up - after 3-4 days of non use it will need a charge when its cold. Its too cold to look at it at the moment !

David, your car does not have anything that will drain the battery, not one fault ever known on your car for this

delboy777

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W203, 220CDI Elegance Full Leather/Sat Nav
I have just replaced my battery with a Bosch, cost £108 but well worth it in the end and a three year warranty to boot :D:D:D

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
Never heard of it, and an in house brand, and I guarantee that it is dud.

Exide,Bosch,Banner,Lucas all good

Ducellier are a big French Company Malcolm - manufactured alot of ignition based products for the OEM market - Distributors.regulators etc. OE on alot of French cars. Developed Batteries with Lucas along while ago back in the Chloride Batteries days........Also had tie ups with Valeo on certain products.... No idea what their batteries are like though...!

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom